I Need Help With My Kitten--emergency

Jake Potter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 5 days ago, I got this adorable ginger kitten. She is 6 weeks old and loves to play a lot and lay with you. I decided to name her Lucy. This morning, I changed the food in her bowl from wet to dry and she started throwing up a couple times. She hasn't been drinking a lot of water but I think it's because of the wet food. Then she pooped out this really weird clear liquid that was definitely not diarrhea. Ever since, she hasn't been playing as much anymore. The balls she loved to play with aren't fun for her anymore and a couple other toys. She has been sleeping a lot more and that has been taking up most of her day.

I am very worried about her and I would really like to know what someone else thinks I should do.

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she has irritable bowel or at least a food sensitivity to whatever the new food was. Unfortunately, she is young and you can't tough this out. So this just started today? Put the regular food back down and tomorrow, run to Pet Smart or something like it and get some KMR (kitten milk replacement), the one in a can. Don't try cows milk.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take her to a vet? This could be triggered by the sudden change in food, but possibly something more serious. The clear liquid is most likely mucus, that cats shed when their intestine is irritated. This could be caused by the sudden food change, as I mentioned previously, or by intestinal parasites. Cats are experts at hiding pain, so the fact that your kitty is lethargic is concerning. I hope your kitty feels better soon!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like she has irritable bowel or at least a food sensitivity to whatever the new food was. Unfortunately, she is young and you can't tough this out. So this just started today? Put the regular food back down and tomorrow, run to Pet Smart or something like it and get some KMR (kitten milk replacement), the one in a can. Don't try cows milk.
Goat's milk also works well as a replacement for KNR.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jake Potter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. If she doesn't get better soon, I might have to take her to the vet .