I Need Help With My Cat!!

jessdotdotdot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my cat about 2 years ago as a kitten and he’s a very shy and timid cat at times... I think the people I got him from weren’t very good to him. He’s very outgoing with me, but other people not so much.
Any unforeseen noise and movement scare him a lot. My friends child who was 7 came over and I picked my cat up and told her she could pet his head, as soon as she went to go pet him... he peed on me he was so scared. Then my friends 4 month old baby came over and he was physically shaking, he was scared. I’m not sure why... I’m only 25 with no kids. I can only assume the children in the family I got him from traumatized him!?
Well, multiple times he attacks my face and attacks me. It usually only occurs when he wants something but doesn’t get it. For example, he does a trick where he jumps in my arms. Typically when he jumps in my arms, I’ll take him for a walk. So now that’s what he accociates jumping in my arms with. So if I DONT, take him for a walk and I put him down... I get attacked.
Today, I was woken up at 6 in the morning to him going crazy. He was looking out the window which is fine... but he was trying to climb my window and I didn’t want him to get hurt so I went and pulled him down and he immediately attacked my face. I have a scratch going from inside my ear, down my cheek. And claw marks on my nose, cheek, forehead and scalp. He also tore my wrist up as well.
Any advice on how to handle this cat!? What I can do to make this stop?? I love him so much and when he’s good, he’s good!!! But he got so close to my eye in this attack.... that the danger is starting to outweigh the good. And like I said, it’s not the first face attack I got.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can lash out at people if they are in pain. Cats can be incredibly good at hiding pain so you may not think the cat is in pain. If you have not already you should have him looked at by a vet to rule out the possibility the cat is in pain. Next is cats can get stressed out by many things. Loud noises, strong scents, the scent of another cat, seeing a cat out the window on what they consider their property, the kitty litter or even where you put the kitty litter.

I live with my wife and four cats, our cats don't like kids. Kids are loud and scare cats. They also don't like dogs. If kids or dogs come over the cats go into hiding. You should get the kids to talk very softly to the cat and try giving it treats. They don't have to go right up to the cat and give the treats, just put them on the floor where the cat can see the treats. Cats require a lot of patience and this would have to be repeated over time. Eventually the cat will realize the kids aren't out to get them. Don't let kids chase your cat around it scares the cat and you won't get anywhere with a scared cat.

You should have the cat checked by a vet if you have not already. If he is not neutered definitely get him neutered as he will go crazy wanting to get outside and do what is natural, it will stress him right out. Next would be to try and figure if the cat is stressed and what is stressing it out. There are lots of good articles on this site.

You can click / touch the article title it will take you to the article.

Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover

Re-directed Aggression In Cats

You can go to the article part of the site and search for all sorts of stuff. Stress, litter box, play time, etc.

Last edited: