I need help please!!!!!

tana4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had a little male cat come to my house and he is young and very thin. I can tell he was someone's cat and well loved until he got bigger or someone just abandoned him . He is well behaved and so sweet. He uses the litter box and sleeps inside now. I am having him fixed on Monday . He wants to go out but he darts in the street and was playing with a large black snake I want him to be happy but i want him to be safe.I want to keep him in my question is will he be ok inside, I have lots of toys and lots of patience but he crys to go out .Any ideas.

karms

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He may cry to go out for many reasons. He is intact, so depending on his exact age he may smell females in heat, or have the urge to go survey his territory. If he is happy in the house, calm etc.. then there is no need fornhim to go out and it is much safer for him inside. Outside cats whether strays or pets have a very high mortality rate. They also get ill much more easily, contracting diseases from other cats and feces. Once he is neutered he should mellow out a bit, if you can bear the meowing at the door and stick to your guns, inside is really much better for him.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
My 12 year old neutered male (neutered since about age 1) lived outside until about 5 years ago, but would come inside at night to sleep, or when it was bad weather.  He would fight us tooth and nail and nearly tear the door down wanting outside come morning though, and I always relented.  We live out in the country, and he just loved the outdoor life, despite the occasional tussle, and he loved hunting.  He usually produced a few dead mouse corpses overnight every night.  Until....he appeared one evening 5 years ago missing a toe.  That was my breaking point, he was promptly retired after his vet treatment requiring amputating the rest of that toe, and brought indoors.  I promise you within a week he quit wanting outside, and now he will stand at the door when I open it and just peek out--he no longer wants outside.  He likes his cushy indoor lifestyle now very much!  I've taken him outside in a harness and he really just acts like he could care less now.

Give it some time. I have a feeling when you get your little guy neutered, and after a few days, he will start to enjoy the life of luxury and stop wanting outside.  I would bet the fact he isn't neutered is driving the majority of the behavior.  Bear with it, and keep him inside and safe!