I need help choosing the right litter

kirk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now I have a male kitten but may be getting 1 or 2 more kittens. I'm moving into an apartment and the litter box is going to be going in the bathroom. I want a litter that has good odour control and is healthy for the kittens. Kirk won't use Yesterday's News so that's out. Right now he is using a cheap clay clumping litter but it smells horrible and it's not good for him. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens shouldn't use clumping litter at all. Like most babies, they tend to explore things with their mouths. If they eat some, it could clump in their stomachs and cause intestinal blockage.

Feline Pine is popular, as is World's Best Cat Litter. I see some people are using starter crumbles for chickens. That's right, chicken feed. Cat Attract is also a good one, but is mostly used when there is a litter box problem, as it is more expensive.

Go to the on-site search engine and type in "cat litter alternatives", and be prepared for a couple of hours of reading threads.

If you get more kittens, you will need more litter boxes. The general rule of thumb is 'one box per cat, plus one box extra' This allows all of them to use the potty at the same time, and still have one free. Some cats won't poo and pee in the same box. One of my ladies will poo in one box, then go to the one closest to it and pee.