I Need Feedback on De-clawing - with UPDATE!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Good for you! Clipping nails definitely isn't as hard as it seems.

The only cat bite that I've ever gotten that was bad enough to break the skin was from a declawed cat. 
Thanks for bringing this up.  Years ago, I declawed my cat on front, not knowing any better (back around 1975, when there was NO information on what declawing actually was and did).  She very quickly became a biter, as she realized that she no longer had those front claws as weapons.  She also developed severe arthritis and had to euthanized at the young age of eight, due to the intractable pain.  I am now certain that it was the declawing that caused this.  I still have a bit of guilt over it, but not too much, as there was absolutely no information at the time.  Knowing what I know now, I'd never declaw a cat.

luvdatcat, I'd seriously wonder about the vats that gave you that advice.  My own vet no longer does declawing at all, although he will refer to a laser surgeon, which is marginally less debilitating.  The process actually amputates a part of the last bone of the toes, which deforms the foot.  Cats walk on their toes, and can develope all sorts of problems, from behavioral to physical, from this.

Last edited:

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are clipping nails (not declawing)?  (HOPE HOPE HOPE...my heart is fluttering with hope 
)

You will be ok!!  It's easy, especially with the tiny thin kitten nails - and now you've done it once, you can have the confidence and relaxed attitude for the next time (without the alcohol and meds - dangerous).  Here's a helpful diagram so you know what to look for.  There is a red part (quick).  Don't get near this.  Cut only on the white longer bit.  You don't even have to cut as short as this diagram - sometimes, especially if wriggly, just take off the sharp tips by a tiny amount and you can come back to it later.  Better for more frequent, 'shallower' cuts, than making a mistake and putting the trust and training back.  Also, just generally and only as much as is ok with her, get used to handling her feet when you are petting her.  I put a pic andlink of the best tools I found for nail clipping on my blog - I linked last time, or just look in my signature.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

luvdatcat, I'd seriously wonder about the vats that gave you that advice. 
I should obviously restrict my posting to days when I've managed more than two hours of sleep.  That should, of course, read "vets," not "vats."  Dratted spellcheck..it really ought to know what I mean by now.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fat chance! Computers may do something other than what you tell them to, but it's never what you would have wanted!

Margret