I Need Advise In Luring My Cat Back Inside

Dianna P.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have 5 -3 yr old cats all spayed and neutered from the same litter .. all go outside during the day and stick around the yard (it's very rural no cars ect) and they come inside to sleep. Lately I've had a problem with 1 male.. He doesn't want to come inside and has been hiding from us for 6 days (he is not like that) some times it takes a little longer to coax him to come inside, but he always comes.. I know he's around because every day between 5 and 6 I see him in the neighbors yard.. I call to him and he runs.. normally he comes and rolls around on the ground for me to pick him up. This is just so frustrating and I don't know what to do.. he's hiding in a wooded area behind my neighbors house, which has a deer trail and a creek.. just frustrated.. Im even thinking of renting a trap at the humane society with food and leave it in that area around 4 pm.. but make sure my other cats are inside. Any other tips or suggestions?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh,no...I hate when they do that! Will your neighbors allow you to set up a law chair near where he appears & try to entice him with long teaser toys? I affix mine onto the end of a retired fishing pole. My Maine Coon like to wander like that ....so frustrating

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Do they go away from your house or do they stay nearby? If he stays nearby, shake a bag of treats, it works for me. If they stray away from your house, leave a bowl of food out, but you need to be wary of ants. Trust me. I've learned that from experience.
You could also just make them inside cats unless you can't.
Feel free to keep us informed and let me know if this worked!

~Echy

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Do they go away from your house or do they stay nearby? If he stays nearby, shake a bag of treats, it works for me. If they stray away from your house, leave a bowl of food out, but you need to be wary of ants. Trust me. I've learned that from experience.
You could also just make them inside cats unless you can't.
Feel free to keep us informed and let me know if this worked!

~Echy
Also, welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dianna P.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, he returned back home today. We live in the Pacific Northwest and as you know, it rains a lot here.. we've had a long dry summer.. well, there was a down pour today and guess who showed up at my front door, drenched and wanting to be picked up? lol.. skinny as can be.. So yes, he's going to be an indoor cat from now on. Once again, Thank you for all the suggestions.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe one of your neighbors is feeding him? If so, have a talk with that neighbor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dianna P.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe one of your neighbors is feeding him? If so, have a talk with that neighbor.
No, the neighbors do not feed the cats.. I'm the only one who takes care of them. Just very weird he did this.. split personality lol

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat: I am so glad that your guy got wisdom and came in from the rain! Keeping them inside is a challenge - I am in the same situation and it "ain't easy" to reform a 14 year old Maine Coon who is used to owning 10 acres of territory plus choosing to live at the neighbors-in his heyday, I have seen him scamper with foxes, kill large snakes, taken him to the vet after scrapping with raccons. I was cat-sharing with the neighbors who adored him. But that was when he was 21#. I had to bring him to my mom's because his weight dropped to 7 or 8#; he needs wet food plus had teeth extracted and steroid shots.