I need advice

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have 7 indoor rescue cats - one stray feral outdoors that has a nice insulated house and plenty of food. Today I went out to feed the feral and talk to him and a strange cat came out of his house - upon closer observation there are two tiny kittens in the house. I have not seem momma come back today and although the house fairly warm, not for tiny kittens that appear to be about 3 weeks old. Do I let them be today and hope mom comes back or do I scoop them up and bring them indoors and try to feed and take care of them? I did pick up some milk supplement at the vets today with bottles just in case.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The general advice is to leave them and wait to see if the mother comes back. Is it cold where you live and are they in danger from that? Was the cat you saw leave the shelter the one you believe to be the mother? If so, you might watch and observe to see if she returns. If the kittens appear in danger, which you will have to base upon what you are observing, it would be best to take them in. These kittens are too tiny to be away from their mother, but if the mother is inexperienced, too young herself, or is abandoning them for whatever reason, you need to intervene.

How many hours have elapsed since you found them and are they showing signs of distress?

Kitten Care - Home — Kitten Lady
This is a very valuable site if you find yourself in the position of caring for them yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has been about 6 hours since I last saw mom, but some of the food in the dish is missing, so very possible she has
been back and I didn't see her. I have been trying to keep an eye on the area, which is next to my front door. Yes, I live in upper Michigan but they are in an insulated cat hours with a hunters heat cushion in it. I just hope her seeing me didn't scare her into not coming back for them. I thought maybe she went to get other kittens. I will intervene if needed,

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Let us know. You can get help here in our Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum if you do end up having to rescue them. I also wondered if there were more than two kittens and she is getting the rest, in which case we will hope that she plans to be a good mother. I did have one feral who only ever had two kittens, of which I was sure, so who knows. Thanks for being concerned about them.

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was shocked to see them, I have never seen the momma before, but we startled each other. If I could get her to trust me
it would be easier to help all three of them. If she does not come back to them, I will take them in, get them to the vet and do
what I can to fix and adopt them out when they are ready. I am a foster failure, which is why I have 7 inside now! I really cannot afford two more although I would be so tempted.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are things going? If kittens are quiet and sleeping, mama most likely fed them. If they are crying they are hungry! Poor mama, she is most likely desperate. Doing the best she can. Do you have another house for your feral? There are huts with electric heat pads that is what I use for mine, on Amazon. Bless you!

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were warm in their house last night so I let them be, and this morning they are all gone. Momma must have moved them again, I will try to see where. The feral house iis right next to my front door, that may have been too much movement for the momma even though there is always food there. I pray the little ones will be alright

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She defintely has them hidden and my feral stray is back in the cat house - I have a suspicion that she comes around and
eats some of his food however, it is just a feeling. I have looked in many places though and there is an abandoned building at a wreck of a house next door that she could've taken them, but I don't dare trespass on the property to see. I worry about them, I feel they are not far away. My stray, Cheddar, is quite pleased to have his house back though