I Need Advice On Stray Cat Bite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bluelady4848

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw a Physician's assistant at Urgent care. He said I should go to an Emergency room immediately. He wouldn't let me explain anything about what happened or that I can't afford it. It's a female cat by the way. I then called the health dept. the next day, and they've been trying to set up scheduling for the shots. They're closed Monday and Tuesday for Veteran's day and meetings on Tuesday, so I have to wait until Wednesday of next week. That will be 15 days after the incident. Haven't seen the cat after the 7th day of the incident.

Bluelady4848

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a little off topic but because you appear to need the info ----
Somewhere close to where you live there should be some kind of senior citizen center. It can go by different names but is often sponsored by local governments, counties, with connections to lots of resources. Here is a web site about it on a national level. Often these centers have a paid county adviser whose job is to work as a liaison for seniors. They usually help with Social Security and Medicare issues and can even help fill out and submit applications.
What is a Senior Citizen Center? Facts & Benefits | NCOA

Senior Citizen Benefits - Help for Seniors with Low Income | NCOA
Thank you. I appreciate this link.

Bluelady4848

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bats are the animals who are likely to have rabies and transmit it humans, not cats, and even incidents of this are rare.

You saw a doctor for the cat bite, he examined it and prescribed a course of antibiotics. I really don't I think you need to be worrying about cat scratch disease or any other problems. If you have further questions or concerns, you should call your doctor on Monday morning. Your doctor will provide better information than anything you can get from the internet, because you're right, you can find a lot of conflicting information, even from people who have experience handling feral and stray cats. Your doctor willl know best.

I do hope your stray cat returns so that you have peace of mind. He is likely with his kitty girlfriend now, or in someone's home, but I know how important it is to know to have closure, so I hope you'll see him again. And if and when he returns, I hope you can get a vet appointment to get him neutered and vaccinated against rabies, so that you never have to be afraid of going through this again.
Bats are the animals who are likely to have rabies and transmit it humans, not cats, and even incidents of this are rare.

You saw a doctor for the cat bite, he examined it and prescribed a course of antibiotics. I really don't I think you need to be worrying about cat scratch disease or any other problems. If you have further questions or concerns, you should call your doctor on Monday morning. Your doctor will provide better information than anything you can get from the internet, because you're right, you can find a lot of conflicting information, even from people who have experience handling feral and stray cats. Your doctor willl know best.

I do hope your stray cat returns so that you have peace of mind. He is likely with his kitty girlfriend now, or in someone's home, but I know how important it is to know to have closure, so I hope you'll see him again. And if and when he returns, I hope you can get a vet appointment to get him neutered and vaccinated against rabies, so that you never have to be afraid of going through this again.

Bluelady4848

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw a Physician's assistant at Urgent care. He said I should go to an Emergency room immediately. He wouldn't let me explain anything about what happened or that I can't afford it. It's a female cat by the way. I then called the health dept. the next day, and they've been trying to set up scheduling for the shots. They're closed Monday and Tuesday for Veteran's day and meetings on Tuesday, so I have to wait until Wednesday of next week. That will be 15 days after the incident. Haven't seen the cat after the 7th day of the incident.

Bluelady4848

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update; The Kitty is back! She looks healthy and well fed, even though I haven't seen her for 7 days. She showed up an hour before I was going in to get the rabies vaccine for myself. I really think someone else owns her, because she does look well fed. More than likely, they've been keeping her inside during the cold spell. But it was sunny and warmer today so there she was at my door! I really need to check around and see who she may belong to. If not, I'll be at the store buying stuff to make a shelter for her on my porch! Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! You really helped me get through the rabies scare. I appreciate it very much!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update; The Kitty is back! She looks healthy and well fed, even though I haven't seen her for 7 days. She showed up an hour before I was going in to get the rabies vaccine for myself. I really think someone else owns her, because she does look well fed. More than likely, they've been keeping her inside during the cold spell. But it was sunny and warmer today so there she was at my door! I really need to check around and see who she may belong to. If not, I'll be at the store buying stuff to make a shelter for her on my porch! Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! You really helped me get through the rabies scare. I appreciate it very much!
Put a collar on her with a note to call you so if there is somewhere else that she hangs out you can coordinate with them. She also might have been in heat and looking for a dad. So she might be expecting her next litter now.

Bluelady4848

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I hadn't thought of doing that!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear she returned!
Take care if you attempt to attach a collar and note around her neck, she may not appreciate a collar being put on her and may try to bite you again. Wear thick gloves and a long-sleeved jacket before attempting anything like that. Also, don't get a collar with a bell. A bell would prevent her from being able to hunt if she needs to in order to survive. Your best bet would be to take her picture and show it around to your neighbors, someone may know if she has a caregiver.

If you continue to care for her, you may want to consider getting her spayed and vaccinated for rabies. The Humane Society usually has low cost spay/neuter clinics. If you spay her, you'll need to keep her indoors for a few days to recuperate. It's possible she may already be spayed, but you want to know for sure so you don't end up taking care of a litter of kittens in a few months.

Thanks for the update, I'm so glad that both you and the kitty are doing well. Keep us updated.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to buckle, or set the squeeze clips in a collar without gloves, I can't imagine doing it with gloves on.

I would take several pictures. Then pick out the clearest to have copied, drugstore, Office supply store. They can produce color pictures and enlarge them. I'd use regular notebook size and ask if I could post them on lost and found sites around town.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there are not too many vets in your area you could send a photo of the cat to them. That might recognise their patient .

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vets take email pictures. Some don't, but they all take mail through the post office.