I Need Advice On Ringworm

Stephscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so we had a little ringworm outbreak in our house. It started a week ago and last night I noticed a balding spot on my cats face. It’s on his eyebrow where the hair is normally a little sparse but it’s more so on one side now. He had scabs on his back but they mostly cleared up when we used flea treatment so I assumed the scabs were from fleas. My question is does he need to see a vet or can I successfully treat him myself by using the shampoos and creams? Does he need to be shaved and do I need to use the sulfur dip with him? The vet is so expensive so if this is something I can do on my own I’d prefer to do that but of course if it’s something he absolutely needs to be seen for then we will take him. Thank you for your time!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have included a link to an article about ringworm, just so you can read up on treatment as well as necessary environmental cleaning. That article does say that in addition to topical treatment, it is recommended that an anti-fungal oral treatment should also be administered at the same time.

Ringworm in Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, you need to be absolutely certain that it is ringworm. Ringworm will floresce under a black light, and those are available almost everywhere. Once you know that is what you are dealing with, you need to find a cat-safe antifungal, since ringworm is a fungus. There are several that are cat safe, and available OTC, although I'm always happier with a cat-specific (and generally prescription) medication. This is available OTC from Chewy, without prescription, and is cat-specific. https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwiXj8Glq8vhAhVln-AKHa7nCosQ9aACCEw&adurl=

Sulfur dips are good, and you may be able to find them OTC through a feed store.

THEN you're going to need to disinfect your house. This article will help, but it IS a job and a half!
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, you need to be absolutely certain that it is ringworm. Ringworm will floresce under a black light, and those are available almost everywhere. Once you know that is what you are dealing with, you need to find a cat-safe antifungal, since ringworm is a fungus. There are several that are cat safe, and available OTC, although I'm always happier with a cat-specific (and generally prescription) medication. This is available OTC from Chewy, without prescription, and is cat-specific. https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwiXj8Glq8vhAhVln-AKHa7nCosQ9aACCEw&adurl=

Sulfur dips are good, and you may be able to find them OTC through a feed store.

THEN you're going to need to disinfect your house. This article will help, but it IS a job and a half!
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime
Thank you for the info. I took him to the vet yesterday and they used the lamp but nothing glowed. I don’t know if it’s because I had already put Lotrimin on the bald spot the day before or not but the vet doesn’t think it’s ringworm. But my gut is telling me it is! I feel like it would be too much of a coincidence that our family gets rigworm and suddenly our cat gets a bald spot. They did a culture to be sure but we won’t get results for 2 weeks. He prescribed an antifungal cream and shampoo so we are doing that in the meantime. I have moved our kitty and all his stuff into the spare room and disinfected our whole house. I feel so bad keeping him in there but I am scared that if it’s ringworm that my baby or my other child will get it again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it didn't glow, it probably isn't ringworm...however, it may be another type of fungus, and the same precautions would apply! GOOD FOR YOU, taking the "better safe than sorry" track!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
so we had a little ringworm outbreak in our house. It started a week ago and last night I noticed a balding spot on my cats face. It’s on his eyebrow where the hair is normally a little sparse but it’s more so on one side now. He had scabs on his back but they mostly cleared up when we used flea treatment so I assumed the scabs were from fleas. My question is does he need to see a vet or can I successfully treat him myself by using the shampoos and creams? Does he need to be shaved and do I need to use the sulfur dip with him? The vet is so expensive so if this is something I can do on my own I’d prefer to do that but of course if it’s something he absolutely needs to be seen for then we will take him. Thank you for your time!
Do u have a picture..of ure cats eyebrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a little late but I figured I’d update you guys. The culture was negative and our kitty did not have ringworm :) his eyebrows look nice and fluffy again haha. I’m still not sure why one eyebrow was more sparse than the other but it’s all okay now!