I need advice on how to stop our cats problem

nit8690

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Our oldest cat cammie has phases where she will go to the bathroom everywhere but her litterbox. a few months ago she would pee on our bed everytime she could. after we dissaplined her about it it stoped for a ahile but now she started doing it again these last few days. she peed on our bed and under the table on the carpet. well this morning I found her number 2 in our shower. she has been disaplined for all these but I cant have this. we are renters we dont own our place. I love her dearly and I dont wanna get rid of her but it might come to it any tips on how to get her to stop this behavor permentatly?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When a cat has litterbox issues the first thing that should be looked into is the cat's health. When was Cammie's last visit to the vet? She may have urinary tract infection. Second, what cat litter do you use? Maybe she does not like the cat litter you are using. How many times a day do you clean/scoop the box? Some cats prefer to use one box for pee and another for poo.
You also need to clean the soiled spots with an enzyme cleaner. A cat can smell even minute traces of urine/feces and will use that spot as her toilet.
It is not clear when you said you "discipline" Cammie when she does not use the litterbox. I do not think she is doing it on purpose or being a bad cat. Has there been sudden changes at home that could upset her in any way?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say "disciplined", do you mean you hit her? Because you should neverever hit a cat. This can stress them to the point of actually causing them to avoid the litterbox even more. So, if that's what you're doing, don't
. Stress is a major factor in litterbox issues. That stress can sometimes be caused by a health problem such as a bladder infection, so that should be ruled out first. Anything else that might be stressing her? A new baby, a new puppy, etc.?

So what's the litterbox situation? How many litterboxes, where are they located, how large are they, how often are they scooped, how often are they entirely cleaned, what brand of litter do you use, etc.?

What about the kitty: How old is she? Is she spayed? if so, how old was she when she was spayed? Is she de-clawed? Has she ever been diagnosed with any health problems?

messocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat should see the vet to make sure she isn't sick. Most elimination problems are because of health issues. I would feel tarrible if I hit my cat for something and then found out she did it because she was sick....

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nit8690

So Our oldest cat cammie has phases where she will go to the bathroom everywhere but her litterbox. a few months ago she would pee on our bed everytime she could. after we dissaplined her about it it stoped for a ahile but now she started doing it again these last few days. she peed on our bed and under the table on the carpet. well this morning I found her number 2 in our shower. she has been disaplined for all these but I cant have this. we are renters we dont own our place. I love her dearly and I dont wanna get rid of her but it might come to it any tips on how to get her to stop this behavor permentatly?
Have you taken the cat to the veterinarian? If not that needs to be your first stop. If the cat is found to be medically fit I have some suggestions to modify your cats behavior.

Originally Posted by yayi

When a cat has litterbox issues the first thing that should be looked into is the cat's health. When was Cammie's last visit to the vet? She may have urinary tract infection. Second, what cat litter do you use? Maybe she does not like the cat litter you are using. How many times a day do you clean/scoop the box? Some cats prefer to use one box for pee and another for poo.
You also need to clean the soiled spots with an enzyme cleaner. A cat can smell even minute traces of urine/feces and will use that spot as her toilet.
It is not clear when you said you "discipline" Cammie when she does not use the litterbox. I do not think she is doing it on purpose or being a bad cat. Has there been sudden changes at home that could upset her in any way?
Good work as usual
!

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has inconsistent litter box issues.

The only happen when one of two things are going on:

-- Lots of changes at home. She doesn't handle stressors well. Or strangers. So a lot of traffic in the house can cause her to have accidents.

-- When we forget to scoop the box at night. We scoop it every night before we go to bed. She sometimes has accidents than.