I Need A Raw Venison Recipe With No Poultry Products

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see that recipe on their web site. Their basic recipe is:

6 packs (or 40 g) of Alnutrin with Calcium (Pre-packaged)
2 1/4 cups (or 533 g) of water, can be adjusted as needed. Mix lightly, then add
6.1 lb (or 2765 g) of ground raw chicken meat (boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
7.7 oz (or 218 g) of ground raw chicken liver

You aren't required to use any organs other than liver with their supplement mix. From the above basic recipe the amount of liver you would use is about 7% of the total meat + liver. When using their product I would stick to that amount of liver.

If other organs are included consider them to be meat. Make sure the organs never include the thyroid gland though. Usually thyroid would only be included in a "whole body" mix.

So, with your 4 lbs of chicken you would add 4.5 oz of liver if liver is the only organ you use.

The HT rabbit organ mix is 50% liver so 1 lb would provide 8 oz of liver and 8 oz of what we will consider additional meat for a total of 4.5 lbs meat. That amount of meat requires 5.4 oz of liver so you are still OK with using that organ mix with Alnutrin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't see that recipe on their web site. Their basic recipe is:

6 packs (or 40 g) of Alnutrin with Calcium (Pre-packaged)
2 1/4 cups (or 533 g) of water, can be adjusted as needed. Mix lightly, then add
6.1 lb (or 2765 g) of ground raw chicken meat (boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
7.7 oz (or 218 g) of ground raw chicken liver
I was going by this:

"All ingredients in our supplements are pure food grade products without silica, magnesium stearate or other processing additives. We do not use any raw materials from China or India.

Directions for use:

4 lb ground raw meat [no bone]

1 lb ground organ mix with liver

6 level scoops Alnutrin with EggShell Calcium

Water (cups) 1 - 2 1/2"

Maybe listed different because this is the Alnutrin with EggShell Calcium and not the prepackaged one?

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not that I know of.
I think I will try pork liver then, if there's no difference. It's cheaper, and she ate Rad Cat pork with no issues. Thanks.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going by this:

"All ingredients in our supplements are pure food grade products without silica, magnesium stearate or other processing additives. We do not use any raw materials from China or India.

Directions for use:

4 lb ground raw meat [no bone]

1 lb ground organ mix with liver

6 level scoops Alnutrin with EggShell Calcium

Water (cups) 1 - 2 1/2"

Maybe listed different because this is the Alnutrin with EggShell Calcium and not the prepackaged one?
Where did that come from? Their web site? The package? If the web site can you provide a link to the page?

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's also listed on their packaging...

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Terrific! Thank you!

The scoop measurement is what was confusing me. On their web site they stress the importance of using the correct amount and suggest weighting rather than using measuring spoons.

Does the bag say what the gram weight of a level scoop is?

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does the bag say what the gram weight of a level scoop is?
Actually that's not my photo, I don't have my bag yet, I'm ordering today. What IS the correct amount of Alnutrin for 20lbs of meat + 4lbs of liver?

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
errr... I guess that should be 16lbs of venison, 4lbs of liver

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's going to depend on which set of instructions you use. But regardless of which you use you shouldn't use 4 lbs of liver. What you want to do is start with the amount of meat you want to use then figure out how much liver that amount of meat requires then figure out how much Alnutrin is needed for that amount of meat and liver.

If you use the instructions on the Alnutrin web site that I reference in post #21 and scale for 16 lbs of meat, you would use 20.5 oz of liver and 106.8 g of Alnutrin.

Using the instructions on the label you posted and assuming the "organ mix" it refers to is 50% liver, scaling for 16 lbs of meat, you would use 28.4 oz of liver and 21.3 scoops of Alnutrin.

The difference in the amount of liver is likely because of the "organ mix". All the information I've ever seen for using Alnutrin specifies an amount of liver per an amount of meat. "Organ mix" is pretty non-specific. We don't know what it is expected to contain and in what proportions. Assuming it is 50% liver, as I did in my calculation, is a pretty big assumption.

That's the best I can do with the information you've given. It might be best to check with the Alnutrin people for better guidance. Marta is usually who will answer an email and I've never heard that she is anything but very helpful.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally found that 1 scoop of Alnutrin w/Eggshell is 5.2 grams. So 106.8 grams of Alnutrin w/Eggshell would be 20.5 scoops.

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that. So in the end I bought straight pork liver, not the organ mix. I bought 16lbs of venison and 4lbs of pork liver, and the bag of Alnutrin with egg shell calcium.

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just received everything from Hare Today and it's all thawing now.

So since this indeed just straight liver and not the organ mix, I will be going by this that you wrote above:

If you use the instructions on the Alnutrin web site that I reference in post #21 and scale for 16 lbs of meat, you would use 20.5 oz of liver and 106.8 g of Alnutrin.

Which also means I bought way too much liver, ha!

Thanks for the help, and please correct me if I got anything wrong.

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally found that 1 scoop of Alnutrin w/Eggshell is 5.2 grams. So 106.8 grams of Alnutrin w/Eggshell would be 20.5 scoops.
Ashlee from HareToday just told me "The scoop in the Alnutrin bags is a 4 gram scoop". So all the more reason to skip the scoop all together, if there's no consensus, and just use a scale.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
So all the more reason to skip the scoop all together, if there's no consensus, and just use a scale.
I think that’s the best route. I occasionally use EZ Complete and the directions say to use a “scant” 1/2 cup or 53.3 grams. I have no idea what a “scant” 1/2 cup is! I use my kitchen scale and weigh it.

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So basically I'm just going to do this (however multiplying the original info by 4, we get 18oz of liver, not 22.5oz).

I think that’s the best route. I occasionally use EZ Complete and the directions say to use a “scant” 1/2 cup or 53.3 grams. I have no idea what a “scant” 1/2 cup is! I use my kitchen scale and weigh it.
Hopefully there's some room for error here... we all should be using weight instead of volume anyway.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So basically I'm just going to do this (however multiplying the original info by 4, we get 18oz of liver, not 22.5oz).
I don't understand what you are doing here. Why are you multiplying by 4? And how are you getting 18 oz of liver? I assume by original info you mean the information from the Alnutrin web site that I have in post #21?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully there's some room for error here... we all should be using weight instead of volume anyway.
Yeah, weighting is a lot easier but for some reason a lot of people don't like to weight. Maybe they just don't have a scale.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ashlee from HareToday just told me "The scoop in the Alnutrin bags is a 4 gram scoop". So all the more reason to skip the scoop all together, if there's no consensus, and just use a scale.
The 5.2 grams supposedly came from Marta at knowwhatyoufeed.com (Alnutrin web site). I didn't get it directly from her though so ... :dunno: