I Must Be Cursed....

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted here in a while. I adopted a young tuxedo lady cat called Sophie back in August, and I wanted to take some time to get to know her, and after the trauma that was dealing with Huxley's multiple health issues and then passing, I wanted to enjoy a healthy young kitty. Well, that didn't last long. A week after I got her, Sophie ate an entire toy. So off we went to the vet, and she heard a grade 1 heart murmur, but told me not to worry about it as it could just be stress related. Sophie also had some reflux issues, but we all thought that was due to the toy she had ingested... Anyway, fast forward 3 months, and Sophie continued to have frequent reflux, very rapid breathing even while sleeping, and had developed some unwanted behavior such as biting and food obsession. During all of this, I kept talking to my vet, who must have thought I was either a) suffering from PTSD after Huxley and projecting on Sophie or b) was one of these parents who just invent illnesses for their children and constantly brings them to the hospital. The vet did however agree that her behavior was off, and put her on Prozac. Last week, her behavior got worse, but the vet referred me to a behaviorist, still saying that there was nothing wrong (her heart and lung sounded normal every time I went to the vet after that initial visit). When Sophie started coughing though, I sent a video to my vet and she finally agreed that doing an X-Ray was recommended. When I took her in, she had lost 1lb in a month. Now, this girl EATS! There was no way she should have lost weight. The vet continued to say that she thought she was healthy, but in the end agreed to do a blood test (mostly to humor me/ shut me up I think). The results came back the next day. Sophie has an enlarged heart and her liver numbers are all wrong. The vet couldn't believe it. She said she had dreaded making that call as she couldn't fathom how this could happen to the same person twice in a row. She was the vet who helped me say goodbye to Huxley, so she knows how hard it all was for me the last time around.

I on the other hand, had 2 consecutive thoughts:
1) Yay! I am not crazy (believe me, I had started to doubt myself)
2) Oh God here we go again.

To be fair to the vet, how likely is it for someone to adopt 2 chronically sick cats in a row without knowing it??
The best part was when the vet told me that the internal medicine doctor she spoke with told her that her liver numbers and the consequent level of toxins in her body could be the reason for her behavioral issues. I was right ALL ALONG!!!! I don't blame her though. It's too ridiculous to be true, and yet, here we are.

So now, I am waiting to schedule 2 further tests: one eco to figure out what is wrong with her heart. I assume it's cardiomyopathy since her heart appears enlarged, and a bile acid test to confirm there is a liver issue and have an idea as to what it is. Most likely neither issues can be cured, simply managed as best as possible until quality of life isn't good enough anymore, or she goes into heart/liver failure and passes.

The prognosis will of course depend on how advanced each condition is, and how aggressively they progress. Sophie is already symptomatic for heart disease (murmor, non stop rapid breathing and chronic, though not too frequent coughing) so that's what worries me the most.

I just cannot believe it.....What the hell did I do in a previous life?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:vibes:

Here is hoping for good test results and a long life.

I think I would choose to look at it as you are the best person for this little one to have love and care for you. You did everything right and fought to get her a solid diagnosis. You have the means to care for her and the knowledge to support her. She is incredibly lucky to have found such a perfect home to give her the best shot at a life that is filled with love and care. You aren't being punished, you are being trusted to care for a life who needs someone that cares deeply.

My experience: While my problems haven't been as life altering; my boy is the most accident prone fluff. Not only that, but he is a stubborn doofus who makes a horrible patient. Anything that can go wrong with his healing will go wrong. Rebreaking a broken leg, getting consipation healing from an abcess, twisting his cast at 9pm despite being on crate rest. He has gone through times of seeing a vet every week for three months. I've taken him to the emergency vet 3 times in a 72 hour period. He has no chronic conditions (well arthritis but that's the result of a twice broken bone); each is a separate incident. He's cost me well over $7k in vet bills and he is only 4.5 years old. He's even now on CBD oil for his arthritis which is another $50 a month and he's sensitive to turkey so I have to be careful about his food. He also can be a stubborn brat at times. I've often joked with my Mom that if he had ended up in another home he would have been surrender for his personality multiple times. He is not an easy cat; too smart for his own good and trouble. But I love him and I don't regret a dollar spent for his care (well one vet visit but that was a misdiagnosis and jerky vet). I like to think that he wound up in my home because he needed a strong hand and loving care that many people just wouldn't have provided.

It's really not punishment. It's trust. Trust that you are the right home at the right time for your cats well being.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try to look at it that way, but it is at the moment at least, a difficult pill to swallow. I did everything I could to chose a healthy cat. Picked a young 1 year old, asked to see cats that had nothing more than a cold on their medical record and one that had been at the shelter for a couple of months at least for them to be able to spot any issues. Clearly this was just not enough.
Besides the emotional roller coaster that life with Sophie is going to be, the financial aspect is also important. I too spent well over $7000 on Huxley in the one year and a half I had him. I do not regret a penny of it, but I am only just recovering from it. I did take an insurance from Sophie, but I have only had her for 4 months, and depending on how advance the diseases are, they may well judge them as pre-existing.
It is what it is though. Sophie is mine. She is a lot of cat (though some of this may calm down once we are able to manage her health issues) and in many respect is not the kind of cat I was looking to adopt, but she is silly, funny, endearing and stinking cute. For better or for worse, we are in this together.

:vibes:

Here is hoping for good test results and a long life.

I think I would choose to look at it as you are the best person for this little one to have love and care for you. You did everything right and fought to get her a solid diagnosis. You have the means to care for her and the knowledge to support her. She is incredibly lucky to have found such a perfect home to give her the best shot at a life that is filled with love and care. You aren't being punished, you are being trusted to care for a life who needs someone that cares deeply.

My experience: While my problems haven't been as life altering; my boy is the most accident prone fluff. Not only that, but he is a stubborn doofus who makes a horrible patient. Anything that can go wrong with his healing will go wrong. Rebreaking a broken leg, getting consipation healing from an abcess, twisting his cast at 9pm despite being on crate rest. He has gone through times of seeing a vet every week for three months. I've taken him to the emergency vet 3 times in a 72 hour period. He has no chronic conditions (well arthritis but that's the result of a twice broken bone); each is a separate incident. He's cost me well over $7k in vet bills and he is only 4.5 years old. He's even now on CBD oil for his arthritis which is another $50 a month and he's sensitive to turkey so I have to be careful about his food. He also can be a stubborn brat at times. I've often joked with my Mom that if he had ended up in another home he would have been surrender for his personality multiple times. He is not an easy cat; too smart for his own good and trouble. But I love him and I don't regret a dollar spent for his care (well one vet visit but that was a misdiagnosis and jerky vet). I like to think that he wound up in my home because he needed a strong hand and loving care that many people just wouldn't have provided.

It's really not punishment. It's trust. Trust that you are the right home at the right time for your cats well being.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending you a hug! I think we are selected to be guardians of these special kitties because we have the experience and capabilities to handle it. My girl made it to 23 years old. I managed her from about age 16-23 when she passed with kidney issues - was basically a vet tech at home giving sub q fluids, meds, learned to help her at the end to go potty manually expressing her bladder - you name it, I did it. I waited a year and a half to adopt the current 2 that I have and same like you - it was challenges within the hour of getting home. Mulan goes to the litter box and it was pudding with fresh red blood....so sorted that all out. Then found out she was NOT spayed as they told me she was....so surgery was next....then she blew up with major allergies - so bad she was licking herself raw so off to the dermatologist for testing.....big bucks....
Then the 2nd one went diabetic on me 2 years after, so that was a challenge getting that sorted out ( Thank goodness for Feline Diabetic support group ) after following their instructions, I got her off insulin and she's now in remission. My mom always says if there is reincarnation, everyone better hope they come back and their one of my cats! LOL. I feel the same as you sometimes that my vet thinks I'm absolutely off my rocker - I come in there with a list of stuff to ask and I think she's probably thinking ok, back off lady I'm the vet, not you. Our intuition is usually right - it's good you listened to yours and got kitty the help it needed! Hang in there!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain Huxley, and it is one reason I have not gone out and adopted another cat after losing Timmer nearly a year ago. I still have one cat left. I am to gun shy that the next cat will have problems. It's silly because I can give a cat a good home and love, but for now my heart cannot take another illness and then eventual loss. I am so sorry this has happened to you. It just goes to show us that age doesn't matter concerning the cats' health. At least we have this wonderful Cat Site community for support! And I also think more vets need to realize the pet owners DO know what they are talking about. You were right! Not crazy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I try to look at it that way, but it is at the moment at least, a difficult pill to swallow. I did everything I could to chose a healthy cat. Picked a young 1 year old, asked to see cats that had nothing more than a cold on their medical record and one that had been at the shelter for a couple of months at least for them to be able to spot any issues. Clearly this was just not enough.
Besides the emotional roller coaster that life with Sophie is going to be, the financial aspect is also important. I too spent well over $7000 on Huxley in the one year and a half I had him. I do not regret a penny of it, but I am only just recovering from it. I did take an insurance from Sophie, but I have only had her for 4 months, and depending on how advance the diseases are, they may well judge them as pre-existing.
It is what it is though. Sophie is mine. She is a lot of cat (though some of this may calm down once we are able to manage her health issues) and in many respect is not the kind of cat I was looking to adopt, but she is silly, funny, endearing and stinking cute. For better or for worse, we are in this together.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I am now officially double cursed! When I got Sophie, I immediately got her a pet insurance so that’s i would avoid spending thousands of $$$ when comes the time (far, far in the future) when she eventually developed health issues due to old age. 5 days before the waiting period ended, I had to take her to the vet because she had a mild spay incision inflammation and a little shelter cold. Well, the insurance is now using the symptoms recorded that day and says that the coughing I took her in for last time was “pre-existing” so they won’t pay for it. Of course they must have seen the results for the X-rays and the blood tests and know the doctors recommended further testing. They know just like I do what’s coming. That means they will not pay for anything in the future. The symptoms she showed on that day were lethargy, no eating and some mild Upper Respiratory issues. These are symptoms for pretty much ALL illnesses so I am basically screwed. My vet has sent them a letter saying that her medical opinion Is that one has nothing to do with the other, but since she has had similar symptoms put on her record since, they won’t hear it. And of course, they are right. I am sure that whatever she has (eco and bile acid tests are scheduled for this Wednesday) was indeed pre-existing, but if I hadn’t had to take her in that day on august bloody 22nd, they would have had no choice but to pay for everything. Now, it’s all on me!!!! :fuming::livid::argh:
I have just fincancially recovered from all of Huxley’s medical bills. I don’t know if I can do this again. :bawling2:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, I sympathize with you all. I have a problem cat too. I adopted him at 5 months from a no-kill shelter. Right off the bat he had chronic diarrhea. Months later figured out raw kept it at bay. He is my first cat as an adult and I felt so cursed. All I wanted was a cute and playful kitten! I did not deal with a chronic health issue. I wondered if I should take him back and adopt a different kitten but by that time I was already in love with him. He was intensely sweet with me so I couldn't help but love him. And I knew he would have a hard time finding a home since most people don't want to deal with a chronic diarrhea cat. They surely wouldn't want to spend the money it takes to feed him 100% raw. He would have most likely ended up as an outdoor cat in the city and eventually abandoned. He's 3.5 years old now and he has had a few other serious health incidents since then. Mostly incurable. It has been very expensive. But if we don't take care of these difficult cats, who will??

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just cannot believe it.....What the hell did I do in a previous life?
I am so sorry and can completely empathize with you. I too have the gift of having chronically ill cats.
But I tell myself that it is because, whoever or whatever is out there, knows that I am the best for the job. People often tell me they could not do what I have done, that my kitties were lucky to have me, that most people would have given up or dismissed them or had a nervous break down trying to keep up.
I know it doesn't make things easier, but I truly believe that everyone has a gift to offer. And people like you, have the gift of nurture, care and compassion. Sure there are times when I've said "can I just catch a break?!!", but then I realize, that it's because of me that my kitties were able to "catch a break". It might sound corny, but it helps me feel a little better.
I'm proud to be the crazy cat lady of the dammed. lol!

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really feel for you. It is so awful to have unwell pets. So much stress. I lost my last cat 3 years ago to cancer. The vet refused to put him down even though he could hardly move, telling me he could still live with cancer and would be ok. She later admitted he was suffering. I was heartbroken he had to go through that extra couple of weeks. And so angry. Then I adopted two new kittens. I love them to bits, but they have cost me a fortune in vet bills, and endless stress with health problems. I just wonder when something will go right. You are not alone. How do such spoilt cats that get the best of everything still get sick? I think people like us care too much. The cats in our lives are very lucky to have loving parents and good homes. Just remember that.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am still waiting to hear from the insurance but I had a chat with an insurance rep that gives me hope that they just might do the decent thing and count her first visit as a one time health issue and not chronic, which technically it was, as it was a vet visit for incision inflammation and shelter cold. Though she couldn't confirm it, she said the notes on the file seemed to indicate this. Fingers crossed!!! I hope she was telling the truth and was not just trying to get rid of me. I should get a final answer by the end of the day. That would be the heart issue taken care of. Not sure how they'll react to the liver issue!
Sophie has her tests on Wednesday. Her cough is getting worse, and her breathing rate while sleeping is now well over 40. She's not been eating well over the last 3 days and is now almost totally withdrawn. Unless I go to her or play with her, she mostly keeps herself to herself, lying in another room and if I try to pet her, she only tolerates it for a few pets and then bites. Can't wait to get this figured out and give her the meds she needs. Poor thing.

Keep your FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She didn't eat very well this morning. She's drinking and peeing a lot and is generally not well. She is going in tomorrow for her heart eco and a bile acid test. I am hoping we'll get part of the answers and can start her at least on heart meds. Figuring out the liver will be next. If the bile acid confirms an issue (the vet is still not convinced or maybe she is just trying to give me hope) then we'll most likely have to do an ultrasound to see if it's something operable like a shunt (though with heart problem, I doubt they would recommend surgery, or if it's something else. I just hope her issues are manageable and not too advanced yet. At least I know she is covered for this year. They may refused to renew her policy come August, but by then, we will know what we are dealing with.
I'll post an update once we have some sort of diagnosis.

How is she now?