I miss my puppy!!! :( (pics)

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey,

We had to rehome our Siberian Husky puppy, Balto. This happened a few years ago but I was looking through old pics and stumbled upon these.

He was so cute, but we had to rehome him for so many reasons. First of all, he did not get along with Moonlight. Moonlight turned very mean and only stayed upstairs. He never even let us pet him he was so mad.

Balto also had way to much energy. We have 2 acres, and it wasn't fenced. All he wanted to do was run run run run! He ran into the neighbor's yard once. Our neighbors HATE animals. He was chasing their son who had a bad experience with dogs. Balto did that twice and the dad said if that happened again he would call animal control or the police.

He also tried to eat the bunny.

We found him a home but they called us a few days later telling us about what a devil Balto is. He ran around the town for 3 days straight until the police finally caught him. He was on the news and they said that this is the most energetic dog they have ever handled. I hope he's in a loving home.

Here is his puppy pic, 8 or 9 weeks.

Here's me and him on Christmas with his new presents:

I really miss him!
BTW, He's a husky, just incase you couldn't tell.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww what a sweetie.
It sounds like it was for the best that you rehomed him. he's gorgeous. as much as I love huskies, I don't think I'd ever have one although they are by far one of my most favorite breeds but I don't think I'd be the right owner for one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, I didn't realizing how demanding of excerise they were! I guess I didn't do enough research before getting him. I now read that they are one of the most stubborn breeds.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They actually aren't stubborn at all. I just read a very interesting article on canine intelligence and the two determining factors for assessing canine intelligence are ability to solve problems, and how quickly they understand and learn a new task. There are three subsets of these evaluations.

Huskies were named in particular as being slow to learn and obey new tasks, but they were amongst the top breeds in the field in problem-solving ability. This indicates that they are not only vastly intelligent, but that unlike some other breeds, they could not care less about pleasing their owners, which is why they do not learn quickly or seem to be `stubborn'. In order to effectively train a Husky (which of course can be done) you need to find what motivates them.

This is why Huskies are often used for search and rescue, whereas Labradors are more commonly used as guide dogs. Their types of intelligence (not their levels of intelligence) are different.

Huskies are one of the most abandoned / rehomed breeds. Not because they are stubborn, but because they are misunderstood and people often give up on their training because it takes a more structured approach. I have a particular soft spot for this breed.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack!!
I just thought you might find that interesting! I have advised people on several `problem' dogs that are Huskies, Malamutes, Shepherds - the `wolf' breeds, I call them. I think they're fascinating dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

They actually aren't stubborn at all. I just read a very interesting article on canine intelligence and the two determining factors for assessing canine intelligence are ability to solve problems, and how quickly they understand and learn a new task. There are three subsets of these evaluations.

Huskies were named in particular as being slow to learn and obey new tasks, but they were amongst the top breeds in the field in problem-solving ability. This indicates that they are not only vastly intelligent, but that unlike some other breeds, they could not care less about pleasing their owners, which is why they do not learn quickly or seem to be `stubborn'. In order to effectively train a Husky (which of course can be done) you need to find what motivates them.

This is why Huskies are often used for search and rescue, whereas Labradors are more commonly used as guide dogs. Their types of intelligence (not their levels of intelligence) are different.

Huskies are one of the most abandoned / rehomed breeds. Not because they are stubborn, but because they are misunderstood and people often give up on their training because it takes a more structured approach. I have a particular soft spot for this breed.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack!!
I just thought you might find that interesting! I have advised people on several `problem' dogs that are Huskies, Malamutes, Shepherds - the `wolf' breeds, I call them. I think they're fascinating dogs.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that... I read it on a dog forum and I guess I didn't think before posting. Thanks for informing me though, I learned something new!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no problem - I hope I wasn't lecturing! It's just something I hear all the time as a trainer and it used to be the common school of thought. But as our understanding of our animal friends deepens and our knowledge increases, we have realised that human characteristics such as stubbornness, spite, revenge etc .... all that have been attributed to dogs throughout history .... are actually not even a part of their genetic or intellectual make-up, so they are pretty much incapable of these motivations. It's very interesting!