I might need to rehome MY cats

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes you read right folks. Okay, firstly a quick update and description and an explanation wouldnt go astray.

I have three fully indoor cats, all healthy, housetrained, full of personality and vet checked.

Currently they are being boarded.

We are living with friends who will not understand cats and are beyond any redemption, though they don't hate cats. They're just dog people. And that's where I'm leaving it. Don't debate on that, put that in another thread, I want help for MY cats.

I'm trying not to cry as I type. It's near impossible.

I currently have a good job and I admit a high salary. However it means flying away from home for two weeks and returning for one in Perth. My fiance also lives in Perth. This job is what I have been dreaming of for years and I love it. It's hard work at times and high pressure but I have not had so much fun. I work as a lab technician at a minesite. There is no permanent accomodation there and there is a strict NO PETS policy to protect the environment and biodiversity and rightly so.

My fiance also wants to work there and he really could. He would work in the parts where chemistry knowledge isn't needed. This would literally set us up for life. It would be stupid of us to turn this opportunity down.

This leaves our cats in a quandry. We can easily find a pet friendly place to rent. That wouldn't be too hard. But we cannot leave our cats unattended to and we cannot fathom the thought of them being boarded long term. They deserve better than that.

I really do not want them to be put to sleep.

I'm considering all sorts of things right now. Even hiring a pet sitter for while we are away but I really don't know what expenses would be like. Boarding is horrendously expensive. Yes, money is still a factor despite everything that I have said.

We have a wedding date to set and bills to pay still. We also want to buy a house of our own.

There's a poll for possible outcomes.

And just in case it's not fully realised, I live in Perth, Western Australia. and cat shelters are OUT of the question. There are no existing no-kill shelters that I know of and I do not want

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I definately believe you should find a pet friendly home and hire a petsitter in your absence. These are your babies and your responsibility. They love you and depend on you for their care. It would be so devastating for all involved if you were to give them away because you acquired a new position and new residence.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello Mags, glad to see you again!

Although I agree with Stephanie about responsibility, I voted for "find them a home". If you are sure that your babies will get along in a new environment and adjust easily to new people; I think a new, loving home will give your kitties the care and attention they deserve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I'll be talking it over with my fiance.

He too is attached to the cats.

I am beginning to favour a pet-sitter more.

But by no means does this mean this thread is ending...I know there are more people out there despite the crash.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My feeling is you should find a good home for your cats since I don't think it is fair to them to be abandoned by you and your BF. I know you are not abandoning them completely but in a sense you are away more than you will be home. They deserve more than a pet-sitter coming in to feed and clean their litter.

Perhaps you and your BF should wait until you have your lives settled, i.e., make your money, have your wedding, buy your house, etc. before you take on the responsibility of caring for pets.

You have your priorities and I'm not saying you are wrong in your choices, I just think you should wait until you are both settled to get another pet, in much the same way you would prefer not to have a baby before your wedding.

My advise - find them a good, loving home.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might sound silly but cold you ‘loanâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] them out until your more settled? Some old folks homes like having resident pets because of their calming nature or maybe a friend or two cold take care of them? If not could you ask a no kill shelter to hang on to the or a vets in return for a donation?

Try advertising for foster parents for a few months and see how it goes.

allissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

My feeling is you should find a good home for your cats since I don't think it is fair to them to be abandoned by you and your BF. I know you are not abandoning them completely but in a sense you are away more than you will be home. They deserve more than a pet-sitter coming in to feed and clean their litter.

Perhaps you and your BF should wait until you have your lives settled, i.e., make your money, have your wedding, buy your house, etc. before you take on the responsibility of caring for pets.

You have your priorities and I'm not saying you are wrong in your choices, I just think you should wait until you are both settled to get another pet, in much the same way you would prefer not to have a baby before your wedding.

My advise - find them a good, loving home.
It would have been a nice option, but it's obviously not easy to find a nice home for some older cats.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mags, I would be happy to pet-sit for you. I wouldn't be able to live there full-time but I definitely could spend a few hours a day caring for the cats. We could work something out with the payment (mates rates
).

I'd also be happy to help you out with finding permanent homes for your furries if that's what you decide in the end. There is a no-kill cat rehoming service that take my kittens if I don't find them homes myself and this might be something to look into. Don't know if you still have my number so I'll send you a PM.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tania....I LOVE YOU!!!

I LOVE YOU LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS...can I keep going?!!?!?

Will call.

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about renting a bigger house and taking in a boarder to be there all of the time. That way you would get a house sitter and kitty sitter all of the time? Becky

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Won't have to!

Just got off the phone from Tania. Lovely lovely woman that she is!!

She's offered to kittysit the kitties.

We, (Lee and I), will most likely find Esper a new home. It is clear she isn't 100% content around the two boys Russell and Menchi. I'll miss her terribly but I know it will be best for her. There could be a possible owner already.

She's currently with my fiance's parents at the moment. And she has had to go to the vet a couple of times, (she burnt her paws on the fireplace in one incident but only slightly), and one particular staff member really adores her. In fact they all do. So there may be a vet cat there as the one they had a while ago died fighting a dog. I don't think they ever replaced him.

And secretly, I think Esper likes being at the vet surgery. She's the only one out of my three that doesn't mind being there.