I Might Be Going Crazy... Help!

Lelsasser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so, I am fostering a cat that was abandoned by its owner (the owner left the country abruptly and was being taken care of by friends of the owner till I took him in).
I live in a very small bachelor apartment. He has peed outside of his litter box twice. The part that really gets me is his yowling. I ignore him as to train him to not keep doing this, but it is SO loud and persistent. It seems the only time he doesn’t meow is when I cuddle with him and play with him. At night, he can be super loud and I can even hear him through my ear plugs (and I cannot escape it because of my small apartment).
I will hopefully take him to the vet soon as I don’t even know if he is neutered. Could the constant meowing/yowling be a medical problem, stress of a new place or is it because he may not be neutered yet?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a situation like that, you can't rule out a medical problem. A vet check is usually a good place to start with a cat of unknown medical history. Peeing outside the box possibly indicates urinary crystals, but all his behaviors could simply be from his entirely new surroundings.

I'd get a vet check and give him a week or two to adjust to his new environment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lelsasser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also mention, he does use his litter box regularly and I do clean it every day.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a urinary tract infection, that would make him howl because it burns when they pee. It could also make him pee outside the litterbox. He might need antibiotics from the vet. Is he getting any canned food?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would he let you look under his tail without scratching you? You could probably tell if he's neutered if you look or take a photo and we can tell you.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? On a mature cat, you will definitely see balls under his tail if he isn't neutered.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Orange, I was trying to think of a way to word it that wouldn't offend anybody. :D:D:D