I met a cat with no teeth

misstoviah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My neighbor had all the front teeth from one of her cats removed. He was a biter. He literally just looked at you and then would chomp your face, she said!! So, she had his teeth removed and his whole personality changed! He doesn't try to bite anymore and isn't aggressive anymore. He's very talkative, too and has a lisp! I was amused!!

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No offense to you misstoviah but that's just horrible. Did the woman even try other things to keep him from doing this.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, wonder about that. How is he eating? A cat needs his teeth to eat and to defend itself. I agree with Sabra that other things could prevent the cat from biting. Another playmate, toys, etc. It is as bad as declawing!!!

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! I've never heard of anyone doing this before, it doesn't seem very humane
Did she have him declawed? Usually they resort to biting if they've had their claws removed. I'm with the majority here, thats pretty horrible thing to do.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Misstoviah,

I'm glad YOU think it's amusing, but that to me is animal abuse. And I'll bet you anything she had it declawed too. Cats usually only resort to biting when they are declawed.

Animals were put on this earth LONG before we got here. And to do those kinds of inumane things to them for OUR convenience is appalling.

That is plain sick, disgusting and your neighbor has no business owning a pet.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat is both declawed and toothless, I hope he is indoors. He will never be able to defend himself now. I am still wondering about how he eats.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm assuming he eats canned food, I'm betting its not very comfortable for him to eat anything else, probably even impossible. What I want to know,besides what on earth that woman was thinking, is what kind of Vet would do that to a cat?!?!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I were a cat, I would rather be euthanized than have my claws, teeth or vocal cords removed. Teeth need to be removed for medical reasons only. Usually vets will only remove the fangs in behavioral cases.
Donna, as for the question on what vet would do this...Hell the vet I work with now had her cat declawed and the canines removed for the same reason. Same vets who recomend declaws, euthanizing for no reason and plain misuse of a veterinary liscense.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the Vets yesterday. Only those eager for money would do such cruelty.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG - how horrible - the poor baby - I am sure kitty had a good reason to bite. What else did the owner do to him????? Someone should pull all her teeth only give her mush to eat........She should be reported !!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misstoviah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was amusing simply for the fact he looks funny. He's very playful and meows a lot so you can see right in his mouth.

The woman used to be a vet tech and has a degree. She worked at a vet's office for some time before deciding to be an english professor. She is a nice woman. She has 5 cats and 1 dog. They all are inside animals and surprisingly, ALL the cats get along. They were all sleeping in one area when I went over to see her! All the cats are declawed. This cat was "de-teethed" because his behavior couldn't be modified any other way. She said she tried everything. It was biting her face and doing some dangerous damage. It was either that or be put to sleep. So apparently she tried the "de-teething" first. His behavior changed drastically and he became less aggressive. He's a great cat....very playful. He eats soft food. He has some back teeth. It's just the sharp front ones that are missing. I personally think that's better than being dead!!

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think thats great at all. If she couldn't find a way to stop the cat from biting, then she should have given him to someone who is able to help him out. Biting is the only defense a cat has when his claws are gone. How can you say that it is better than being dead? The woman should look into other methods to cure a behavioral problem. Are her dogs debarked? With all the money spent on declaw and deteeth, I could use it for something better such as another cat or another thing. But not surgery!

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the woman caused the problem herself by declawing the poor cat
She then has him disfigured more because she can't modify a behavior she herself caused!!! If shes such a knowledgable person, ie a Vet Tech with a degree, then she should know better than to declaw her cats in the first place. The whole thing is just sick as far as I'm concerned.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Misstoviah,

First of all, I'm glad the idiot changed her major to English.

Secondly, the reason why the cat bites is because she had his claws ripped out, which would alter his behavior dramatically, rendering him defenseless. And all, as Melissa pointed out, because she was the one who altered his behavior to begin with!!

Helloooooo?? Anybody listening??? So what does she do then? She rips out the only other defense mechanism he has left, his teeth. Show me the justification in that??

What's next, disembowelment when he begins having litterbox problems?

And you thinking it's "amusing" justifies it. I think not!

People like that make me sick to my stomach!!

misstoviah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she DID try other methods of stopping his biting. I don't know what but I guess I could ask. She didn't want to put him to sleep. I think that if I would have posted "woman puts cat to sleep because he bites" would have been a lot worse.

misstoviah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm being attacked because a cat's mouth looks silly and his meow is funny. I'd rather be alive (and obviously happy) with no teeth than dead!

misstoviah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She removed his front teeth because he had a behavioral problem that she tried to solve. She didn't want to put him to sleep. He's a happy, energetic cat. I don't think dying would have been much fun and he's obviously happy and not suffering.

I only thought it was amusing because I've never seen a cat with a lisp.

Sorry to get everyone so upset.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Misstoviah,

"the reason why the cat bites is because she had his claws ripped out, which would alter his behavior dramatically, rendering him defenseless. And all, as Melissa pointed out, because she was the one who altered his behavior to begin with!!"

Point:

If she hadn't declawed him, he wouldn't have a behavior problem. So she was trying to solve a problem that SHE HERSELF CREATED.

I am only trying to prove a point, I am by no means attacking you. What your neighbor did to her cats is not your fault.