I may have dropped ISO 99% alcohol on my cat

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I don’t know. I’m going crazy. He’s fine and has been fine for 2 hours now. I was In the kitchen and he was to the left of me on the floor. I’m cleaning my phone with iso and I drop the damn bottle and half the bottle spilled out from the top of the counter on to the floor. Not directly on him. The puddle was actually was about a foot away from him. He ran away and continued on. Didn’t lick himself afterwards. So I don’t know if it got on him. He just shook his body for one second. Since I didn’t see the puddle where was and was just a foot away I got lucky it didn’t spill directly on him but I’m not sure of myself. What if it splashed on him. I know 99% iso evaporates quickly. I felt him and he was dry. I called the vet no answer. After 15 min I said to myself why haven’t I showered him. So I went in the shower and showered him for 10 min with warm water but no soap. Didn’t have any. I’m worried I damaged him long term. What if he has organs problems and it’s all my fault. I can’t even breath.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Isopropyl alcohol evaporates within seconds and the minute amount of residue that may have possibly gotten on the cat isn't going to cause organ failure or any harm if ingested. The residue won't be absorbed through the skin. A cat would have to drink a good amount of isopropyl alcohol to become seriously ill. Just keep an eye on the cat for the next day or two if you're really paranoid.

Maybe switch to pre-moistened wipes to use for cleaning the phone, electronics, etc in the future.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
From your description it sounds as if you got lucky! Obvously your vet will know about any long term effects, but it doesn’t sound as if your cat was sodden...I think you can exhale.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Breath. I agree with everything everyone else has said. Unless the entire amount dumped on him and he immediately began grooming, I seriously doubt that you have anything to worry about.