I Made The Mistake Of Googling Cat Nosebleeds And Now I'm In A Panic.

jesmb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Starting this off with yes, we are going to the vet as soon as they open tomorrow morning.

My cat had a sudden nosebleed Saturday night. We had been out for a few hours, came home, and she was fine. Five minutes later, she's bleeding out of her right nostril. It wasn't much and it only lasted about five minutes. She was eating, drinking, and playing like normal. She and her sister get rough with one another and there were some tufts of hair upstairs so we assumed she got scratched. She's been fine ever since.

Cut to tonight. Same thing. We were out for a few hours, came home to a fine cat, then all of a sudden her nose is bleeding. Again, just a few minutes, and she appeared fine the whole time.

Her fur on her face is white and it stained pretty quickly both times, so we know we'd have noticed if it's happened before. We're fairly certain these were her first two nosebleeds.

For reference, she's 1.5 years old, acting normal, indoor cat but goes for walks on a leash/harness a few times a week.

I made the mistake of googling, then panicking, then googling more intensively and now I can't stop thinking that my cat is dying. Meanwhile, she's acting totally fine and just annoyed that I keep hugging her. Has anyone had an experience with this and the cat was okay? I need to balance out the horrors I've been reading about.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stop the panic. I have had a cat with a nosebleed. She had gotten a scratch inside her nose and I guess it bothered her. She kept wiping it with her paw. At first I didn’t see her wipe it so I was very worried. It was on the weekend, of course. No vet available. It took some doing to keep her from the irritating it so it bled again but it finally did heal. No more nosebleeds. I did take her to the vet and the exam revealed a scratch where I couldn’t see it. I assume either one of the other cats caught a claw in the edge of her nose or maybe she did it herself when she had an itch. I’ll never know. Many she stuck her face into a blackberry vine. In any case, she was just fine. They really can scare us! I know seeing blood is frightening but it’s probably minor. She is young and otherwise you see her acting healthy so please try to relax.:alright: A vet check will confirm any scratches or need for any anitibiotics to help healing. I would expect others signs if it were all the things you have probably been reading about. A vet check is important even if it’s just to calm your nerves. Please update. We’ll be looking for good news. :heartshape:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting this off with yes, we are going to the vet as soon as they open tomorrow morning.

My cat had a sudden nosebleed Saturday night. We had been out for a few hours, came home, and she was fine. Five minutes later, she's bleeding out of her right nostril. It wasn't much and it only lasted about five minutes. She was eating, drinking, and playing like normal. She and her sister get rough with one another and there were some tufts of hair upstairs so we assumed she got scratched. She's been fine ever since.

Cut to tonight. Same thing. We were out for a few hours, came home to a fine cat, then all of a sudden her nose is bleeding. Again, just a few minutes, and she appeared fine the whole time.

Her fur on her face is white and it stained pretty quickly both times, so we know we'd have noticed if it's happened before. We're fairly certain these were her first two nosebleeds.

For reference, she's 1.5 years old, acting normal, indoor cat but goes for walks on a leash/harness a few times a week.

I made the mistake of googling, then panicking, then googling more intensively and now I can't stop thinking that my cat is dying. Meanwhile, she's acting totally fine and just annoyed that I keep hugging her. Has anyone had an experience with this and the cat was okay? I need to balance out the horrors I've been reading about.
First of all I Google that stuff too about when something is wrong with my cat n YES I scare myself silly n nervous wreck:hellocomputer::flail:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesmb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update - our vet knows our cats well and knows that Jam is a little street fighter and Derby is a "delicate thing" who also rubs her face on everything she sees. He thinks Jam busted her nose when they fought Saturday and Derby is just reopening it when we get home because she gets excited and aggressively face rubs. Her vitals were perfect and she seems otherwise fine, so he said she might reopen it again once more, but if she has another nosebleed twice more, to come back in and we'll do all the scary tests. Thank you all for talking me off my panic ledge!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad it was similar to what my kitty did. I’ve been scared by almost the same exact scenario. I expect that it may be a little bit of time in healing. My kitty kept reopening it for a little while but it did scab over and all was well in our world again. Heal Derby! :vibes:
Behave Jam. No more jamming Derby’s nose! Please keep us updated. :heartshape:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had something similar happen. I woke up one morning to find one of my cats bleeding from the nose. I guess he'd been scratched playing with his "brother." It was bleeding so much, I was afraid he'd bleed to death! He was leaving a blood spot wherever he stopped.

So, I rushed him to the vet hospital. By that time, he'd pretty much stopped bleeding. I felt a bit sheepish having had such a scare over what generally appeared by that time to have been nothing.

The doctor said cats' noses are full of blood vessels, that it often looks worse than it is if one gets cut, I could have dabbed it with a styptic pencil, but that I did the right thing having it checked.