I Made My Cat Go Away After A Fight :'(

Preths

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On January 17, Lobster was meowing long so I attended to him, picked him up and tried to "introduce" him to Rubeus. He was just staring at the new cat as I carry him. However, when I tried to bring him back to his place, he started attacking me. My forefinger bled really hard and both my hands were bitten and scratched. When I released him, he went straight to where Rubeus is and was eager to get close to him. Trying to avoid a cat fight since Rubeus is still a kitten and might get injured considering Lobster's strong claws and teeth, I caught him on a basket. Lobster was mad as hell. I need to rush to the hospital to have my wounds cleaned, but I cannot leave him like that with my mom who was already nervous of what has happened, so, checking the basket and seeing the curious but calmed Lobster (I thought so), I tried putting his harness back, but then he attacked me again, thus another bleeding near my thumb. I was able to catch him with the basket again, for the second time. I left for the hospital for about an hour or so, and when I came back, Lobster was still furious as ever. I had no choice but to release him outside (he was an indoor cat since he was a three-month old kitten). I tried making him go away by splashing water to him, but he only stayed by the door, trying to come inside. He did not run away despite of that. Don't loathe me, please. i myself was heartbroken while doing that. But I have no choice. I cannot let him roam around the house with that level of aggression. My mother is old and I have little nieces and nephews who play with him which I find really alarming then. I was able to catch him on the basket again, and put him on a vacant lot few blocks away from home. I asked one my nephews to check on him. He was still there yesterday morning, so I had the little boy put food for Lobster by the vacant lot. According to my nephew, Lobster was still angry with the slightest sound/movement. He ate the food, but by the afternoon, my nephew reported that he is no longer there. I still want to keep him, but I cannot risk the safety of my family. I am writing this because I feel really heavy, and am still thinking about how he is now. :(
lobster can no longer forgive me, right?

Attachments

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay.

First of all, are you healing up okay?

I'm really worried about Lobster, not gonna lie. :( He doesn't know how to be an outside cat and I'm worried about cars and predators. Clearly he needed time to decompress, but you didn't have a room with a door you could put him in?

If you find him, and don't feel safe keeping him, is there a no kill shelter you can take him to? He would probably eventually forgive you, but it would probably take time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Preths

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry, I know it's really cruel. :( but no, I make sure there is a food for him where I left him. I cannot keep him anywhere inside the house considering his aggression. I am not also sure if he can be touched by other human as well. I have seen the same fury from other cats that can no longer be touched anymore... However, I am still hoping that he can already be approached without hissing, at least.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leaving him food is not enough. There are predators, and other cats, and he has only ever known a home.

You must do something. If he is too dangerous to have in a home, you should have him put to sleep. I offered other suggestions, but that is a last resort. Don’t leave your cat outside to die.

Don’t just apologize to us.

Preths

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i cannot put him to sleep. :( :( :( i already asked someone to look for him.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Putting him to sleep is the kindest thing to do if you refuse to care for him or find him another home.

You feel regret for your actions, clearly, but you need to understand that you are sentencing your cat to a cruel death. You need to take action.

Preths

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are right. If he won't be "retrievable" the second time... you are right...

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Likely what happened was that Lobster had some redirected aggression. Here's a good article about it: Re-directed Aggression In Cats. The main point is that cats will often be aggressive towards new cats "invading" their territory, and that aggression can be redirected towards other cats or people. This aggression is usually temporary. If at all possible, please catch Lobster and bring him home. Keep him separated from the kitten and do a proper slow introduction.

My cat Saipha had a similar reaction to a foster cat she accidentally got a glimpse of. I got a few scratches, but I managed to corral her into a bedroom. I simply made sure that she had food, water, and a litterbox in the room, turned out the lights, closed the door, and let her calm down for an hour. Afterwards, she went back to her normal self and has not been aggressive at all since.

Please please retrap him and try to help him readjust at home. It is highly unlikely that he will survive out on his own with predators, cars, storms, and worse. Clearly you care for him, and I hope you will do right by him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for coming here and sharing the story. How old is this cat? Has it ever done this before, of being angry and scratching? Everyone here is requesting that you can't leave it outside. Either with you in it's home or in another home where it might do just fine. Please keep looking for it and find it, you've seen other cats that wouldn't allow touching but you don't know at this point that this cat will be that way.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too have been severely maimed by one of my cats. I ended up getting an infection and had to go to a wound care hospital several times a week for months. It to was a case of redirected aggression and with time and patience both cats were able to coexist peacefully.. and I healed.

That being said if you feel that theirs no way you, your family, or your other cat, will ever get along then please just take him to a shelter. Give him at least a chance to be adopted by a no cat family. The time he can survive outside is limited with the lack of survival skills he has. Not doing so, and abandoning him outside, sentences him to a miserable, possibly drawn out death.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry, I know it's really cruel. :( but no, I make sure there is a food for him where I left him. I cannot keep him anywhere inside the house considering his aggression. I am not also sure if he can be touched by other human as well. I have seen the same fury from other cats that can no longer be touched anymore... However, I am still hoping that he can already be approached without hissing, at least.
If he has not been neutered this will cut down on the aggression.

Preths

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys! thank you very much for the response and ideas. to answer a few questions:

> Lobster is a one year old male cat.
> He is not neutered.
> He has done this before back when he's still my only cat, but no biting, just deep scratches. and after a few hours, he can already be approached, the reason why I am losing hope in him, being calm again at my presence since he has always been on an attack mode even after hours of gaps between us.
> was planning to cage him if i'll be able to retrieve him.

Thank you for the thoughts on redirected aggression. That is also my assessment when he suddenly attacked me and went eagerly after Rubeus. My only fear is that he might have already associated me with bad memories.

As for the cruelty of the outdoor, I am calmed by the fact that the neighborhood is cat-friendly, and most of the neighbors give away food for stray cats. In addition, Lobster is not used yet around the area so there's a big possibility that he's still around near where I left him.

Rest assured that my family is trying to look for him and get him nearer our house, if not inside, so he can still be looked upon during the process of winning him again. I know I cannot hasten that phase.

Preths

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Opo... :( i was really weak and desperate then and in need to react immediately. :( :( :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Preths

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neighbor kids reported than an old man took him home. I do not know if I'll believe that. I want to confirm it but to no avail. The man is not from the neighborhood.