I Love This Cat.. But I Cannot Adopt Him.. Yet.

Helen632

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I am a volounteer at my local animal shelter (only volounteers work there). I am going to adopt a cat, but not today nor tomorrow - in about 2 months. The problem is, that I have let myself fall in love with a cat - the most wonderful one. When I go to the shelter, he runs and comes to me every time just to sit on my lap while I pet him. Many people want this cat, and Ive asked already if I could just adopt him in 2 months (they do not euthanize their cats). I feel heartbroken and betrayed, in a way. How am I supposed to overcome my sadness and my paranoia?

Ps. I go to the shelter very often now, as I feel like he is going to leave any moment. I can't sleep. I can't have a cat right now because my parents are divorcing and my mother would like to bring a cat into a calm and friendly home. Inside I am still hoping that noone will adopt him, but that's highly unlikely.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry you have fallen in love with a kitty and can't adopt him right now. If the shelter does a good job screening people and someone adopts him he will go to a good home. I know that doesn't really help much.

Your parents are right about waiting until things have settled down at home. Cats often have difficulty with change and a calm home would make things much easier. The right cat and the right time will come together for you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask if you can pay for his adoption right now, and keep him there for the two months. You could offer to pay for his upkeep too. If space is at a premium, which it often is, maybe you could bring in a large dog kennel for him. I have seen several signs at the shelter which say, already adopted, or not available for adoption. Go to the highest person you can that is in charge and plead your case, most people at shelters are compassionate and will work with you.
If it is not to be, be comforted by the fact that he is going to a loving home and is wanted. There are so many out there that desperately need a home and the attention and love that brings, there will be another that will grab your heart. In the meantime just love him all you can and build memories.
Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Helen632

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think it would work. They usually ask for a donation, not a full payment (they get enough donations from others to do so). I e-mailed them 4 days ago about this and noone has answered me (usually I get an answer within 12-20 hours). The older volunteer I spoke with told me it would be cruel to keep him in the shelter for all this time. I will try to talk to other volunteers about this, as I was actually the first one to be interested in him. I will try to explain the situation more, maybe they will understand.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know how you feel. Before I adopted Ruby, I went to the shelter just to check things out. Of course I fell in love with a big, fluffy, cuddly cat. But I wasn't ready to adopt at that time, so I had no choice but to hope he'd still be there when I came back in a few weeks. He wasn't. However, by my not adopting him, I ended up with my wonderful, sweet, lovable Ruby.

I do hope the shelter will make an exception and hold him for you. But if they can't, try not to be too disappointed, as it might mean there's going to be another cat that needs you more.

Good luck. And let us know how everything turns out.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it seems hard but the shelter is likely to go for the sure thing for the cat. You are contributing to the cats being socialized and seeing humans as a good thing. The ability to love a cat and then let it go to someone else is a gift to the cat and the guardians. The right cat will come along when the time is right for you. Thank you for donating your time and your heart.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to keep him in your room? Two months is not overly long for a new cat to get used to surroundings, and they should be confined to a smaller area anyway. Your room would be a calmer environment, and I can't believe your parents would be so upsetting, one of them needs to move out if it is that bad. Why are they acting that bad in front of you anyway? They are supposed to be adults.

Helen632

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, a little update. The cat I first fell in love with is still there and he seems to love me but as I was sure that he was going to his own home any day (now he has another home offering, which is good) I started looking around and I found another cat. Its a small, cute cat who has made huge progress since I started to give her more and more attention. She now lets me pet her for longer than 3 minutes and is willing to be on my lap for quite some time. She is more playful (I have little brothers who would love that) and overall I feel like we have this special relationship, as the other cat was very loving towards everyone. I am going to take my cat home on 16th of this month. I am really anxious and I hope everything goes well! Wish me luck c:

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is fantastic news, congratulations to you and your new cat! :) Sometimes the ones that are shy and take a while to warm up make you feel more special than the ones who love on everyone. When I was moving I knew I wanted to get a cat and was eyeing the shelter for weeks for I got there. I fell in love with this adorable black and white cat before I even got there, and of course it was bittersweet when I arrived and she'd already found a home. But when I visited the shelter I found my current cat and it was love at first sight. It's always a great ending when everyone gets a home and you found a cat you love! Do you have pictures of your future kitty?

Helen632

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is my cat. I know she looks a little grumpy, but in reality she is the most loving cat ever. Im going to bring her home this Sunday!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a pretty girl. She does look a little grumpy, but she'll be happy on Sunday when she finds herself in her new home. Congratulations on adopting her. :)