I lost my stray cat

jaydee000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm writing this and I'm crying, so before almost 4 years that cute 2 mounth cat showed up near my door , she was so slim without a mommy, and cause no one of my family want a cat indoor I decided to take care of her , so everyday before I go work , I post her food and water near my door, she become ok and get bigger, she play in our neighborhood with other cats but she keep coming back near the door, she became 4 years old last week , last night while I'm coming home , I saw her laying in the street , I thought she is playing, but I found out that she is dying, a car hit her and run away, I lost my cat last night at 9:00 night , I feel it's my fault, I couldn't teach her how to stay away from the middle of the street, I tried for years but she keep sitting in the middle, I have no idea why I'm writing this, I just feel so much pain and guilt , I feel I'm a loser cause I couldn't protect her .

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not a loser, you loved her and you did all you could for her with what you had. You gave her what she wanted most in this world, a home to go to and love......My outside cats did that same thing, sit in the street, and I lost so many to the street. You cannot keep a cat out of the street, not without keeping them inside or penning them, both of which are devastating to some cats. She died doing what she loved most, roaming the neighborhood and streets.
Of course it is devastating to you right now, you will never forget this. But don't let it take over your life. She would never want this either. Go forward into the future and seek life's beauty and more love, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened."
She was in your life for a reason, to show you what a cat's love can be. One of this life's greatest treasures. One that you earn.
Time is the only thing that dulls the sharp edges of grief. Be gentle with yourself, you did absolutely nothing wrong. You have to have intent to be guilty of something, and yoru only intention was to give her shelter and love.
Please accept my sincere condolences. I know how much this hurts and what it does to you. Remember love is spiritual, so eternal, so the bond of love you share with her will be forever. Not even death can break that. "death cannot take that which never dies."
My heart goes out to you, please know her tiny soul is at peace because it carries your love......RIP precious little girl. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a broken heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm writing this and I'm crying, so before almost 4 years that cute 2 mounth cat showed up near my door , she was so slim without a mommy, and cause no one of my family want a cat indoor I decided to take care of her , so everyday before I go work , I post her food and water near my door, she become ok and get bigger, she play in our neighborhood with other cats but she keep coming back near the door, she became 4 years old last week , last night while I'm coming home , I saw her laying in the street , I thought she is playing, but I found out that she is dying, a car hit her and run away, I lost my cat last night at 9:00 night , I feel it's my fault, I couldn't teach her how to stay away from the middle of the street, I tried for years but she keep sitting in the middle, I have no idea why I'm writing this, I just feel so much pain and guilt , I feel I'm a loser cause I couldn't protect her .
I'm so sorry for your loss-very sad...... my deepest sympathy

I guess you live with your parents and maybe one day you'll have a place of your own where you can give a little kitty a safe,loving forever home.....you did what you thought was best and cannot be faulted for that.Try to think of the 4 years of Joy and Love you shared with your little friend

Praying for your Peace and Comfort

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please try not to blame yourself, Jaydee000. You were not responsible. Some cats seem to know instinctively to avoid traffic. Others never learn.... I'm so sorry your kitty was one of those. You did your best for this stray. I hope you'll remember that while you're grieving.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentIe, Sweet GirI, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

You did the very best that you were abIe to for your IittIe girI. It is normaI to feeI guiIt, but it doesn't mean that there shouId be guiIt. If you had been aIIowed, she wouId have been inside. And had you not been wiIIing to do everything possibIe for her, she probabIy wouId not have Iived as Iong as she did, nor known Iove at aII. That Sweet GirI Iived, breathed and had her being wrapped in your Iove, what she knew of home and Iove, she knew because of you, and she passed through the Gate between This Adventure and her Next Great Adventure with your love beside her to guide her way. Now, from That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you, and she sends her love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

terricacatwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Your post and the responses to it touched me and made me cry for you, and for myself, as I remembered the hurt I felt after I lost cats that were hit by cars.

Thank you for showing your sweet cat love and care while she was in this world. I know you made her life better and it must’ve been quite a comfort for her to have a person she could trust and come to for care and affection. I’m familiar with the pain and guilt of the loss you’re experiencing. Several cats I’ve had were indoor/outdoor cats. When I lost them I beat myself up at the time for not having kept them only inside. But I’ve come to understand we do the best we can with the circumstances we’ve been given and we learn as we go. We don’t always have the means to do as much as we’d like, but we work with what we’ve got. Trying is what matters. Caring is what matters. You made a difference in your cat’s life. That’s what matters the most.

Cats are resilient animals who may be safest indoors, but are still adapted to a wild life living outside. Any cat living outside is able to live a life in line with it’s nature - running, playing, chasing prey, smelling all the different scents of the world, sunning themselves, having a variety of new experiences - getting to enjoy a life of freedom they were designed to enjoy. Remember that your cat got a bonus in life because not only did she get to live that exciting and free wild life, she also had a person she could come to for extra care and comfort in a world that unfortunately presents a lot of dangers to cats on the street. Because of you she thrived and got healthier, putting on weight after you noticed her and started putting out food for her. Because of you she was actually able to enjoy the wild life, instead of suffering in it.

I realize you wouldn’t want her to experience any suffering at all, and if her death last night was not instant, it still had less suffering than the kind of death that awaited her before you came into her life. If not for you, she might have passed on much sooner and it may have been a drawn out death from illness and hunger. Because of you she got to enjoy a full-on wild cat lifestyle and be the envy of indoor cats everywhere, chasing birds and prowling the neighborhood just like an actual tiger or panther of the streets.

Im sorry you won’t get to see her anymore - it is a tremendous loss. Many people don’t realize the impact a single cat can have on a person’s life but those of us on this forum do. It’s not possible to put into words. To be loved by a cat, for me, is one of the greatest experiences in life.They touch our souls. They are precious, magical creatures and we are blessed by them. They guide us through life and if we’re lucky we can return the favor by doing what we can to give them a better life too. I have no words to convey the huge void and pain that is felt when one of our beloved cats leaves this world, but it’s real and significant. The unfortunate people who haven’t opened themselves up to the love of a cat won’t understand. But know that there are others who do understand and it’s okay to feel the amount of pain you do. It’s an indicator of the love you shared with your cat. It will get easier to bear over time, though it may always hurt. Everyone experiences grief differently but the loss of a beloved animal is extra hard.

Please try to always remember that she got to have the best of both worlds - living life like a real wild cat but with a kind person nearby to give her the extra care and comfort to make that life easier so she could really enjoy it. I know the pain of the loss will continue to hurt, because she was important and a good friend to you as well. I just hope as time passes you will be able to let go of the guilt and surround yourself with some of that same love you put out to your cat. Do what you need to do to ease the hurt and move through the grief process. You could write about it, or draw pictures, or put out a special offering in memory or her. Or just let yourself remember good times together, the feel of petting her fur and how she showed you that your affection made her feel good - whether by purring or rubbing against you when she saw you. Be kind to yourself and hold onto those memories of your sweet angel cat enjoying her time in the world - sunning herself, playing in the yard, whatever it was she liked to do. Remember it was better for her because of you. She is an angel to you now as you were an angel to her.