I lost my baby Cairo ... my heart is broken ;o(

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for you loss.  I too am grieving for a cat.  Logically I know it will get better.  Emotionally,I'm not so sure.   Please, it is NOT your fault.  The only way you could have known your cat had cardiomyopathy was if you had gotten an ultrasound.  I have lost many cats and it is never easy.  Give yourself a year.  Then look at his pictures and remember the good times.  I don;t know what caused his aggression but I am sure it was nothing you did.  I have in the past consulted a pet psychic.  I know there is contraversy over this but I believe in them.  I know they helped me.  You are in my prayers and I will send good thought to your baby.

cairosmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I do not know when this thread was written but I had to reply to it as I too had the best cat in the world who was also called Cairo. He was a chocolate Burmese and the most beautiful cat I have ever seen. He also recently died of cardiomyopathy, a massive shock, as he only 7 and in stunning condition, at least on the outside. I noticed he was breathing a little heavily, so took him to the vets and the stress of the car journey killed him. I have been devastated ever sice and miss him dreadfully despite having a full house. He was my little shadow. We love you baby boy, and wish you would come back x

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cairosmom - I have experience with feline HCM.  Between November 2008 and March 2010 my then-gf and I spent around $30,000 treating our beloved cat.  He got an additional 16 months, but in the end he still died from the disease.  I can remember when we initially took him to the vet -- we knew something was wrong because this cat lived for breakfast and he would not budge from under a chair and was very stoic.  Within a few minutes the vet came out and said our cat was in critical condition and was dying - we should euthanize him immediately.  We were like ***?????  We rushed him to the emergency hospital and he spent the next five days there.  If Cairo had HCM and you noticed him breathing heavily it means he was likely experiencing the initial stages of heart failure.  If he had thrown a clot or was in arrhythmia then you only have a short period of time to address the problem - if you delay it will be too late.  If he was the kind of cat that would get stressed out from being put into the carrier then yes, it would make it more difficult for him, but if he was already in heart failure you have no choice but to rush him to the vet.  It sounds like you were in a lose-lose situation, but had you not taken him you would blame yourself even more for not even trying to save him, no?

I beat myself up for causing my cat's death last May - he was in distress with chronic hairball difficulty and, instead of waiting for him to expel the hairball before going to the vet, I put him in the carrier while he was in distress from it - despite knowing that he was terrified of being put in the carrier.  The scream he made when I put him in the carrier was something I've never heard an animal make - it sounded like something from a horror movie, it was violent, raging, tortured, like if someone was sawing your arm off at the shoulder, and it freaked me out.  Shortly thereafter he went into cardiac arrest and died.  While I should have waited, and I cannot express in words how much I wish I had, you had no choice when dealing with HCM.

welovechef

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cairo sounds like my little buddy, Chef! Same greetings with head butts, same playfulness, and he loved hugs too! They are so in tune with humans and showing their love for us. I'm so sorry to here Cairo passed suddenly. It doesn't seem right when they are our everything. You put a lot time into Cairo and I don't think you should have guilt there. Your main goal was making him happy and that showed. He had some happy time before he passed and you did that for him! You are selfless and remember that. I know that will not take away the guilt. That comes to all of us, but you should try to think of how happy you two were when you were together. 

cairosmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. I wish I hadn't taken him but vets don' t come out on call in the uk (not many anyway) and I would have felt even worse if I had done nothing at all. At least he had some oxygen and a slim chance at the vets. Bless his little heart. It is great that so many others see the personality inside the animal, as on this forum. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one! Our DNA is not so different.