I Left Out The Liver. . . .

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished my weekly batch of raw food. Everything was weighed, baggied, labeled and in the freezer when I realized I forgot the liver.

Why did I forget the liver, you might ask? Because I don't have any liver, that's why.

Given that I make cat food each week, do you think I can get by with just adding some freeze dried duck liver to each serving? I use ImmoPlex Glandular pills (one per pound) in my cat food and always thought there were trace amounts of liver in them but after looking I realize I'm wrong.

Surely a week without liver won't do irreparable damage to my cats.

Thoughts?

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think that just one week without liver would be catastrophic.
But if you have freeze dried liver, go ahead and give some each day.
I've done that when I didn't have quite enough raw liver when I made a batch.
What lucky kitties you have!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply! I didn't think it would hurt but when it comes to my cats I'm somewhat of a worrier.

:whiskers::tabbycat::bigeyes:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your kitties will survive - no worries!

Add fresh or freeze dried liver to their food once or twice during the week and you'll be fine. Or give it to them as treats...my cats LOVE liver treats, especially fresh. This is actually how I feed my cats...I don't mix stuff in advance, I just throw it together at feeding time, or feed the components separately.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I started making home-cooked food for Huxley, someone on this forum told me you could substitute fresh liver for freeze dried liver. I cannot find fresh pork liver and he is severely allergic to poultry so chicken liver is not an issue. Freeze dried liver is 100% liver, just wwithout the moisture so it ahould be fine for long term use.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I really liked your original post title and was disappointed to see it changed. :catman:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, I didn't realize it HAD changed until you told me.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still can't find any rabbit liver and Thirteen is allergic to chicken so I try to stay away from it if I can. I'll use turkey liver in a pinch but I can't even find it. I ran across some veal liver in my grocery store and used it in this week's batch. Oddly enough, Atticus, my delicious smelling gray tabby, was a bit turned off; however Thirteen devoured it. Atticus eventually came back to his bowl and polished it off but it was clearly not his favorite.

Anyone else ever use veal liver? I'm wondering if it has the same nutritional profile as chicken liver.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can't say I've ever used veal liver, but I mostly use rabbit liver and beef kidney. Of which neither Saipha and Mishka are fans of. Thus, I have to get the ground version and mix it in well with the rest of the muscle meat to mask the taste. I even got lamb liver freeze dried treats and they didn't like those either. :dunno:

What's the conversion of freeze dried to fresh liver? I have this whole bag of freeze dried I now need to use up, so I might put some in their next batch.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I buy from hare today. They don't have rabbit liver individually. My cat is allergic to turkey so it'll probably be beef liver. They do have turkey liver. I've tried finding organs locally but no luck.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it works for you geographically, you should try Raw Feeding Miami. They generally have rabbit liver but are sold out at the minute.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like to use ground rabbit organs for Hare Today.My cats seem to like it. Good timing for me to see this thread. I am a lbs short on organs and Have a bunch of food thawing in the fridge. I realized I have a bag of freeze dried duck liver . I will use that!

entlaufene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can't say I've ever used veal liver, but I mostly use rabbit liver and beef kidney. Of which neither Saipha and Mishka are fans of. Thus, I have to get the ground version and mix it in well with the rest of the muscle meat to mask the taste. I even got lamb liver freeze dried treats and they didn't like those either. :dunno:

What's the conversion of freeze dried to fresh liver? I have this whole bag of freeze dried I now need to use up, so I might put some in their next batch.
A little late on this, but you can probably calculate it using the moisture percent on the USDA or Self nutrition data website. If you can't find the type of liver you're feeding, they all probably have similar water content.