I Leave For Work And Come Home To Armageddon

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Peace all,

Hi, I am a proud cat momma of 3, and i was wondering if you all could give me some insight/advice as to what tf may be going on in my furry tribe. I have 2 boys and 1 girl (Frankie, a 8yr persian, Cassie my calico boo 6, and Roo, a Dsh who is 2).

I had to take Frankie in for some dental work a few days ago. After I brought him back, there were no issues from Roo, but my girl Cassie was not happy. She just stayed away from the one post op and continued to be around the youngest boy who, up until yesterday, was unaltered.

I go to work the next day, and when I got home, my house was a mess, it reaked of cat piss and there was fur everywhere. Cassie was in the corner of my closet and she looked a hot matted and emotional mess. A war went on while I was gone and a few minutes later, another battle. I've had cats almost all of my life and I've never seen such a bad fight! Roo would approach/stalk Cassie and she'd let off these growls I'd never heard come from a cat, then he puffed up and wouldn't back down. As he continued to approach, the growling and hissing got louder, and then a vicious ass fight would ensue. She was so terrified she was spraying as she attempted to run away and Roo just would not stop. Mind you she was the dominant cat out of the 3! I live in a very small apartment with only 2 rooms not including a small bathroom (that's nyc for ya) so keeping them apart required no sleep. I was besides myself.

I staved off desperation and went online to find help. Thank God there was an Aspca mobile spay and neuter clinic that would be stationed near my house at 7 a.m. I managed to get Roo neutered a few hours after that. I also went and bought feliway and some calming spray and then brought him home.

At one point last night, they were all on the bed with me laying down calmly. Cassie was in the corner of course, still upset over yesterday but there was peace for the most part and they left her alone.

During the morning feed, I figured cassie would want to eat in the back by herself. Instead, she went to her regular feeding station. As soon as Roo sees her, he just walks up and smell her. When she sees its him, she starts growling and then he gets puffy (sh!t). She runs into a closet and he chases her but i break it up before any paws fly. I close off that room with her in it, and call over Roo. He depuffs and then starts rubbing my leg. Fight averted but I see my girl is still upset.

What in the hell happened? Do you guys think that in the time that I was at work, Roos balls activated and he all of a sudden wanted to take the dominant role? There were a few times that I saw him try and mount Cassie but she shut that down and life went on.

I know I have some work ahead of me to get things back in harmony. If you guys have any tips...please share.

Thanks for reading...

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have experience with neutering, but I hear it can take a few weeks for the hormones to fully go away. And if Cassie is already on edge from the earlier fight that can take some time too.

My guess is after the dental, there is what they call “non-recognition aggression” from Cassie. Frankie didn’t smelll right and so she was afraid of him. Roo might also have felt that, and maybe that’s why he went after Cassie because he was in tact and it was somewhat redirected. Hopefully once things calm down and Frankie recovers from his neuter things calm down.