I know this is a long shot but is anyone knowlegdable about Microsoft Word?I'

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm having an issue using the compare function. I found a Microsoft discussion forum and signed up but they're not sending me the confirmation email and I cant post til I get it, so until I can get that sorted I thought I'd just ask here on the off chance someone here uses Word regularly.

A friend of mine is writing a story. He writes it in Word on his computer and I edit it in Word in mine. For example right now it's 46 pages, he added 2 pages today and sent it to me. I open it in Word and use the Compare function to see where there's any new stuff, edit it, and send it back. He accepts the changes or doesn't, adds more, ect ect.

The problem is with "track changes". The document he sends me, if you open it in the compare tool, in the tracked changes panel, labels every word he's added or deleted ect, with his name, Eric. So then I open the old doc and the new one, and in the box where you open the files there's a box where you put your name to label all the changes. So I put "Mer" and hit open. When the document opens, all the edits from the last time he had the file - words he's changed ect - are now labeled with MY name. And so I send it back and he opens it, its all labeled with my name, he changes it on his computer - and it immediately labels everything with HIS name.

I'm so confused. All I want is to get the document, with all his stuff labeled with his name, open it, put "Mer" as the name to label tracked changes - and then see JUST the things IVE changed labeled with my name. If he changed "yelled" to screamed" it should say Eric. If he sends it to me and i keep that but add "loudly", the "loudly" should be labeled with MY name, not his, right? Am I crazy for assuming thats how it should work? Am I doing something wrong?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you enter a name into the Compare option dialog box, input "Eric" so it'll automatically label any changes since last time with his name. Any edits you make via Track Changes will continue to have your account name associated with it.