I know a tuxedo cat is not a breed but…

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I have a precious tuxedo cat,… while I know that’s not a ‘breed’, can anyone here help me understand how those markings are so distinct and given a name? Tuxedo cat. Am I right in thinking that those markings had to be passed down? And if they’re passed down, then what prevents it from being bred for and thereby making it a breed? I’m new to being owned by a cat and am just very curious about how markings (and designated cat breeds) are decided. Thanks for all I’m learning here!!

Attachments

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat genetics are very complicated. I’m going to tag lutece lutece , who understands and is able to explain them far more than I ever will :)
P.S. your kitty is beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your response! I’ll look at those pages. Yes, she’s beautiful!!😬
Very cool reading!! My Petunia meets so many of the criteria that tuxies have! She’s super smart and very vocal. Again, no bias here!! I really appreciate your thoughtful response.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, but I swear Tuxedos have their own personalities!! Both tuxedos I have are super loving and affectionate. The kitten is ridiculously goofy, too though. I love Tuxedos. Yours is stunning <3

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Great article, M MistyMorening ! And An very scientific! ;)

This may be somewhat difficult to prove, but many people believe tuxedo cats are up to 200 percent smarter than other kinds of cats. It's unclear whether or not this is the sole opinion of tuxedo cat parents.
And they have magical powers, too!

It's said that during a vernal or diurnal equinox, tuxedo cats become virtually invisible due to the colors of their coats. Completely disregarding the physics of light and shadow, some believe this phenomenon is actually proof of Tuxies' magical powers!
But having been the proud mom to two beautiful tuxie boys, I believe it all!
biggrin2.gif

P PWLG Petunia is beautiful! :hearthrob:

MistyMorening

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great article, M MistyMorening ! And very scientific! ;)

And they have magical powers, too!

But having been the proud mom to two beautiful tuxie boys, I believe it all! View attachment 383136

P PWLG Petunia is beautiful! :hearthrob:
It's no problem! I wish I could say I did something awesome but I literally just copied your message and tweaked it before clicking enter on google! I clicked the first link that might help, scrolled through it to make sure it was appropriate, and sent it to you! ha-ha

MistyMorening

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's no problem! I wish I could say I did something awesome but I literally just copied your message and tweaked it before clicking enter on google! I clicked the first link that might help, scrolled through it to make sure it was appropriate, and sent it to you! ha-ha
Oop ha-ha I thought you were PWLG!! I meant that I did that to her message! My mistake! I'm sorry!

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her/he I'm not sure I'm sorry I should've said their. I'm sorry I keep making mistakes! Okay, I'm going to log off for now, but all I can say is I hope I have been of help!!!
Lol!!! You were right, I’m a her. No apology necessary! You HAVE been a help!

AnSDRfanhere

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1. Tuxedo cats are called tuxedo cats because they resemble cats wearing little tuxedos. 2. A tuxedo cat's kittens have a high chance of being black, or looking like "cow-cats". This is because of the bicoloration gene. It's completely randomized for each individual cat that has this gene.