I Just Got A New Cat

Genivene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I just got a new cat and her belly is solwen and her nipples pink. And she was scratching at a cardboard box in my room and she's been in a week and never showed interest in boxed before. Do u think she's pregnant? And if so how close.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be pregnant! Have you made her a vet appointment yet? That would be my suggestion, then you will know for sure :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds pregnant and needs extra nutrition as soon as possible. Also, it is a good idea to reach out to local cat rescue groups because they are knowledgeable in local resources as well as pregnant cat & kitten care. There are good threads in our Pregnant cats & kittens and our Caring for Strays & Ferals to read; you can also send PMs to fellow members
Please keep us posted :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Genivene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update she was pregnant and she had only on kitten. Is that normal the other litters she has had she only had one.

KSV

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update she was pregnant and she had only on kitten. Is that normal the other litters she has had she only had one.
Wow, that must have been a surprise! Unexpected addition. I hope this site can be helpful. Please if you can keep us updated and I hope we can help.

Genivene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah it’s pretty common especially if young. Are you planning on spaying her?
Yes we are. And he just fell off my bed which is a queen size with a box spring. He fell on his side should he be ok? I get really worried about I'm pets I'm sorry.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think that he is okay but i would offer her a box for a nest. In a closet usually works well. I offer 2 styles: 1 as an open box (or a laundry basket) and one taped shut with portals cut out (a cave).
I have a friend whose cat usually has only 1 or 2 kittens - they are Himalyans.

Genivene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh I feel so bad. The kitten was under a blanket on my floor and I went to fill up momma cats food and water and i stepped on him and broke his neck. I feel so bad I can't stop crying.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Did he pass away then? Or were you able to get him to the vet? Those kind of terrible accidents happen so,so quickly, especially in homes with kids. Back in 1985, I rescued a dumped-off, pregnant cat and she had 6 kittens. I was babysitting and my girls and the 2 other girls had the kittens on the bed to toddle around. I was diapering a kid when the girls' mom opened the door & their little brother rushed in and jumped on the bed and broke a kitten's neck - the guilt has stayed with me since. :disappointed: The mother cat, Penny, kept licking it and followed me outside to the grave, meowing to it. I had to give her extra time at the site until she finally realized that her baby was gone before I covered it up. Her remaining 5 babies grew up and I kept them all with us when we moved. You have learned a painful lesson, as did I, so try not to be too hard on yourself - the mama kitty needs your love and support. I rescued an injured feral kitten and he has a twisted head but he gets along just fine - he is 7 years old now.

Genivene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He passed I held him as he did and I felt him stop moving my dad got home as soon as possible and the momma cat h kept licking him and moving him as she kept trying to get him to wake up. It was so bad. He kept bleeding from his nose and mouth. We have buried him

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry!

Make sure you get Mom cat spayed to prevent any unwanted litters. Now is the time to go ahead and make her spay appt.

KSV

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He passed I held him as he did and I felt him stop moving my dad got home as soon as possible and the momma cat h kept licking him and moving him as she kept trying to get him to wake up. It was so bad. He kept bleeding from his nose and mouth. We have buried him
I am so sorry. I read this and I started to cry too. I have unwittingly contributed to a death of a kitten. It’s really hard to deal with. I have no words of conciliation for you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a suggestion - You could let your vet and rescues know that you have a lactating mother cat whose sole baby was killed in a tragic accident. There are probably orphans and ferals who would benefit from being with your cat. And if/when she accepts them, it will help her broken heart; her hormones will have her mothering instincts in high gear. They can advise you on how to set up a nursery to keep everyone safe. Or they might want to borrow your cat for a month or so, until the kittens are weaned & your cat gets spayed. You will have to act soon because your cat's udders will be engorged soon.

Genivene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a suggestion - You could let your vet and rescues know that you have a lactating mother cat whose sole baby was killed in a tragic accident. There are probably orphans and ferals who would benefit from being with your cat. And if/when she accepts them, it will help her broken heart; her hormones will have her mothering instincts in high gear. They can advise you on how to set up a nursery to keep everyone safe. Or they might want to borrow your cat for a month or so, until the kittens are weaned & your cat gets spayed. You will have to act soon because your cat's udders will be engorged soon.
I might tell my dad and mom about that. That might help. Me and her. Thanks for the suggestion.

Genivene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the runt of the litter got out and when I found it it was really cold and barely moving. So I started to rub it and bottle fed it. My momma cat locked it but it still barely moved. He's with his siblings in the cage now. What do you think is wrong with him.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no! don't try to feed it while it is cold - their digestive system shuts down. you need to get the kitten warmed up first and also get its blood sugar up by rubbing some honey or karo corn syrup on its gums. you can go to the website www.kitten-rescue .com and click on the tab "cold kitten". You can also go to YouTube and search "Kitten Lady" videos.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is just no way to know what is wrong with the kitten. I wish that there was. Just do your best for him, and know that if he doesn't make it, you tried so hard, and that something went wrong before the little guy was even born. It sounds like maybe Mama didn't get proper care while she was pregnant. Hugs.