I Just Don't Know What To Do Anymore!

wickedwitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello;

My name's Alie, and I have two female cats, Taz (ten-years old, Mommy's Little Princess, Pillow Warmer and Snuggle Buddy) and Sadie (seven-years old, aloof but affectionate in her own way, more the Priestess of our household). This may be a bit of a long story, but to give you a bit of history of my feline family, when Taz was three I brought home a six-week old Sadie. Taz couldn't decide if she loved her or hated her (nobody wants some strange kitten swatting at their tail), but they have never fought. All throughout these past seven years they have had some kind of arangement: they don't cuddle or play together, they don't quite love each other, but nor do they dislike each other. They respect each other's space. If one irritated the other, there was a little bit of hissing, barely-audibly grumbly growling, but no physical contact; they'd eventually get bored of being upset and go their seperate ways. Until now.

Starting on the 9th of this month, Sadie has all of a sudden become very affectionate. I mean, she has to be either with me, or have me in her sight. All the time. Sadie's not ordinarily the "mommy's girl" of the family, in fact I joke that she's allergic to affection. Now she wants to be attached to me "at the hip," as the saying goes. And not only is she unusually affectionate towards me, she is now extremely aggressive towards Taz. In five days, I've broken up five catfights. I've had to pull claws out of Taz's skin. My hands and arms look like I've been mauled by a wild animal. I keep them seperated, but try to re-introduce them and it usually goes very well - it looks as though a truce has been established. But then Taz moves, even a little, and Sadie's on her. And if she runs away, Sadie will chase her. Fur flies, cats hiss, growl and yowl very loudly (usually for a couple minutes afterwards, too), and once everyone's safe I'm left wondering what I can do.

I don't know what's going on here. I know Sadie's not in heat, both my girls are spayed. We've lived together in peace for seven years, and this change happened literally overnight. Sadie's behaving like Taz is some strange cat who wandered in off the street.

Please help, I'm at my wit's end. Any advice would be so appreciated!

Thank You,
Alie

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When was their last thorough vet check? This could be a sign that one of them is ill. Have you noticed any other behavioral/physical changes in Sadie or Taz?

zendora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

When was their last thorough vet check? This could be a sign that one of them is ill. Have you noticed any other behavioral/physical changes in Sadie or Taz?
Totally agreed, which could also explain her wanting to be at your side constantly. My Dora has had stones, and I can always tell she doesn't feel well when she starts being super affectionate. This girl usually gives me ten or twenty minutes of lap time max per day, and when it goes up to 4 or even 6 hours, I know she isn't ok. She never let on that she was in pain other than that behavior - she'd even play and eat and drink.

Oh - and when she doesn't feel well, she also goes after Z. No real fights so far, but she definitely gets moody and possessive if Z wants interaction.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would have them both checked out. It does sound like someone is not feeling well. This all happened way too suddenly.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I agree. The sudden onset is what has me puzzled. I'd have both checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wickedwitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cheylink, I haven't noticed any other strange behaviour in either of them, although Taz is now a bit paranoid and grumpy )thanks to being attacked so often). And it has been a while since they saw a vet. But they're gonna be getting check-ups next week. I'm just going to have to continue keeping them seperated until then, I guess.

Thank you all for your advice. =)

wickedwitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zendora

Totally agreed, which could also explain her wanting to be at your side constantly. My Dora has had stones, and I can always tell she doesn't feel well when she starts being super affectionate. This girl usually gives me ten or twenty minutes of lap time max per day, and when it goes up to 4 or even 6 hours, I know she isn't ok. She never let on that she was in pain other than that behavior - she'd even play and eat and drink.

Oh - and when she doesn't feel well, she also goes after Z. No real fights so far, but she definitely gets moody and possessive if Z wants interaction.
Stones? Ouch! Your poor kitty!

This kinda makes me even more anxious about all this...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please let us know what happens at the vet. Often when there's a pain problem involved, they play like normal, eat like normal - everything seems fine. For our Spooky, the only sign is that she pees out of the box. As soon as we get her to the vet and tended to, she's fine again. But aggression is a very common sign of a pain-related illness/problem. (Make sure the vet checks their teeth in addition to the physical and blood work).

Please keep us posted!

wickedwitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I certainly will keep you posted. Thanks to everyone again for your concern. =)

I've also just realised -and I can't believe that this only just occured to me- that I switched their brand of wetfood recently... Maybe it's upset tummies that's to blame for this?

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WickedWitch

I certainly will keep you posted. Thanks to everyone again for your concern. =)

I've also just realised -and I can't believe that this only just occured to me- that I switched their brand of wetfood recently... Maybe it's upset tummies that's to blame for this?
I suppose it might be but I wouldn't think it likely unless the new wet is causing some type of gastric discomfort. I sure hope things get better soon!

wickedwitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! =)

They're seeing the vet -[sarcasm]their most favourite person[/sarcasm]- on Friday. So I only have to keep them from killing each other for one more week. =S

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WickedWitch

Thank you! =)

They're seeing the vet -[sarcasm]their most favourite person[/sarcasm]- on Friday. So I only have to keep them from killing each other for one more week. =S
Oh good. At least you will know. Good luck until then.

wickedwitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the girls have seen the vet now and both check out medically. The vet said she couldn't find anything that would explain their behaviour, they're both healthy kitties. Her best guess is that one of them pushed the other's boundaries and now it's a struggle for dominance. I guess Taz just isn't used to this from Sadie because it's always been accepted that Taz is Queen of Everything, end of story. I still don't know what to do with them, though. Just when it seems like everyone's getting along fine, one of them moves a little too quickly for the other's comfort and POOF! I'm having to pull them apart again.

Should I lock them in a room together and make them get along? I can't stand the thought of actually letting them fight it out, though. Just thinking of the damage they could to do to one another frazzles me, especially when I've already had to remove Sadie's claws from Taz's skin. Why, after seven years of living together peacefully is this happening? =(

Thank again for all your suggestions and well-wishing.

Signed,
A Kitty-momma At Her Wit's End

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with a multi-cat household, but I have to say that locking them in a room together does NOT sound like a good idea. Have you considered separating them and then re-introducing them?

wickedwitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mystik Spiral, thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I've been doing for the past several weeks. And always with the same result: if they don't try to kill each other at first sight, it will appear that they get along and then they'll start fighting -even hours after the re-introduction- at the drop of a hat.

And the whole "locking them in a room" thing wasn't as serious as much as it was just me venting my frustration and exasperation at all this nonsense. It would just put more stress on them.