I heard my semi feral cat meow for the first time in over a year does this mean anything?

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had my semi feral girl for over a year now and I have never heard her make a peep ever. She has growled if one of my other cats is doing something shes unhappy about but I have definitely never heard her meow until today. I still can't pet her but she will come up to me for treats and she has been coming out a lot more frequently even when myself my dog and my other 3 cats are all right there so I would say she is definitely becoming more comfortable. But I was wondering if her actually meowing now means anything good or bad? Thank you in advance

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it’s a good thing ! It sounds like a similar situation. My girl has been with me almost 8 months now . She hisses , but otherwise has been quiet and she really meowed at me for the first time today !! I was happy 😃

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Thing!!!! Feral cats do not let you hear them unless they are warming up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh good thank you! She didn't seem upset at all I wasnt even sure it was her until I actually saw her mouth move the second time it was so strange to hear her after so long 😍 I had her breakfast dish so I assume she was saying feed me lol

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alina’s meow was definitely asking for food or telling me to hurry up 😆. It’s so nice to hear !
I am happy for you . It’s the little moments that add up ❤

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They really do sometimes you feel like you're not getting anywhere but then sometimes you feel like they've come such a long way. She won't let me pet her but she did tap my fist the other day (because she thought i had a treat in my hand). She immediately jumped back and hissed but it was the first time she ever touched me on purpose so I was happy lol

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s so true . Some days I feel so discouraged and honestly a little sad. Im so thankful for this site . It helps so much to read other stories (and go back and read some of my posts to remind myself) and get feedback from others who have experienced this journey to remind myself of the small gains .
good luck on your continued progress 😊

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had my semi feral girl for over a year now and I have never heard her make a peep ever. She has growled if one of my other cats is doing something shes unhappy about but I have definitely never heard her meow until today. I still can't pet her but she will come up to me for treats and she has been coming out a lot more frequently even when myself my dog and my other 3 cats are all right there so I would say she is definitely becoming more comfortable. But I was wondering if her actually meowing now means anything good or bad? Thank you in advance
This great! It means she trusts you and is talking to you 😻

I ain't no pet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand that meowing is a cat to people thing -- I had to "teach" meowing using the word now? or yeah? said like a question with my voice going up to a higher pitch. "Divit" would try to imitate me. He'd open his mouth but nothing came out. Lots of false attempts. Occasionally it would come out a hiss but with no behavior to match it. Kind of like -- ooops lets try that again. After a solid year of prompting a meow we can trade sounds and sometimes he will initiate it. Feeding time which are pretty fixed times across the day worked best to "practice". Trust of people take a long long time it seems. Being ridiculously consistent seemed to help. Hang in there!!! 6 years of trust building!! who knows what trauma your healing.

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
6 years is a long time! But you are right who knows what the poor babies have gone through before we got them. It's always encouraging to hear stories of others progress ❤

cayz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It means you've passed all the interviews and tests -
You're now part of her "staff".
:cool: