I have to travel w/ newborn kittens & mom... Advice?

dbeckmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been so busy recently that I forgot to tell you guys that Joey had her babies! All four are black. Sadly, one passed away (my vet chalked it up to being the same neuro condition her father has) shortly after birth, though, and there was virtually nothing we could've done. They turn a week old on the 2nd. Ramona & Titan are just HUGE, and they're the calmest. Olive is the smallest, but she's fierce and doesn't much move from between her mother's arms. I'm so in love!

But long story short, my family has been talking about going on a trip for a while now, and they decided to take it Wednesday (the 5th) to Friday or Saturday. Well, I figured that the babies would be old enough to leave with a friend when we finally set a date, but they aren't. I honestly don't think I can leave them behind, and there's no way I can stay behind or manage to postpone it further.

I figured I could use a playpen like this, and then put their carrier (fortunately, she decided to have them in it) inside of it with food, putting water in there whenever she gets up. She's a very chill mom, so I don't think that the couple hours of driving would bother her as long as I sat with her. I called the hotel I'll be staying at, and they said you can bring pets under fifteen pounds, so I'm allowed to put them in the room during the day while we go out. I also thought about keeping Skype or FaceTime on so I could see/talk to them every little while.

I feel terrible having to travel with them, but I just want it to be as safe as possible for everyone involved. Has anyone faced a similar situation? What did you do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats on the kittens!

Does the playpen have a cover? Or will mom and kittens be in the crate when you go out? You wouldn't want her moving them under a bed while you're out.

Also, you may not want housekeeping in the room either. They vacuum and sometimes leave the door open while they are in and out. This is a concern.

Are you sure that leaving them home with someone checking on them and feeding mom would not be safer and less stressful? It's only a few days.

I know this is a tough decision and that you hate to leave them. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dbeckmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
* Replying on mobile so I'm not sure how this'll appear, lol

I'm certain I can't leave them at home. I honestly don't conpletely trust the boy who's coming to look over my house (With 9 full grown cats + more), let alone with the babies. In all reality, he could probably handle it, but he's only fifteen and doesn't have any pets at home.

Anyways, the pen does have a cover. It's actually quite nice. It holds up really well, and has a couple zip openings, the top being one of them. I believe the entire thing is a closed space, but it's pretty big.

I planned on keeping the "please don't disturb" door sign on while we're gone. That usually keeps staff out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It should work out then, bringing them with you to the hotel. That is a big job for a 15-year-old.

I hope everything goes smoothly while you are gone! Keep us posted.

Last edited: