I Have To Give My Cat Away If She Doesn't Stop Pooping On The Floor.

niika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got a cat a few weeks ago. She's really sweet, everything's great. The first day or two she went in her litterbox right away with no problems- the lady at the shelter did say she was super clean, and that they didn't have to clean her cage nearly as much as the other cats.

Then the issue started after a few days, she'll go poop way outside her box. It only happens in the basement (where her litterboxes are located), so at least she's not going in any other rooms, but my mom says she has to go back to the shelter if the problem doesn't get resolved.

I've read a bunch of litterbox related tips- got her a second litterbox and made sure the litter is that fine-grained stuff most cats like. The thing is she definitely understands where the litterboxes are and stuff, since she goes poop in there like 25-50% of the time, and she generally has no problems with peeing in it (other than a couple accidents...which I really don't understand either??). I scoop clean it 2x a day and give the box a full clean every few days. She's also not pooping on the floor in the same place(s), it's a new spot each time. I can't really block off much of the basement either since its an open space, nor can I move the boxes to a different room (not that I think that would be a good idea anyways).

If I could get this cat to reliably go in her litterboxes I think I would be the happiest person on the planet lol.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your new cat? Is it a kitten? Most cats/kittens pick up real fast what litter boxes are to be used for. Do you scoop up the poop from the floor and place it in the litter box so that she will learn her poop is supposed to go in the box? Also, what type of cleaner are you and your mom using to clean up the floor where she has her accidents. From previous threads I have read that you must be careful in what type of cleaner to use in cleaning up messes. Cats tend to go back and soil the same area over and over because they can smell themselves at that spot? Not sure how that works, personally never had any experience with this, but someone who has will reply when they read your thread. Hang in there. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she seem constipated? My cat has done this when constipated, so I make sure I give her canned food once a day and I give her hairball treats 3 times a week.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you need an enzymatic cleaner made for removing pet smells. Mazie is correct the cat will defecate where they smell the area they went before. If not sure of the exact spot, clean well a wide area around where she went.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's an adult. I'm sure she knows what the litterbox is meant for, she does go in there sometimes. And I've read about the enzymatic cleaner but she isn't going in the same spot, sometimes she'll go in a completely opposite corner of the room. I'll pick some up soon anyways just in case though.

She doesn't seem constipated. She goes poop once or twice a day and eats mainly wet canned food.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest trying a couple of different types of litter. What kind did they use at the shelter? I would recommend getting some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter or litter additive. It has herbs that are supposed to attract to the cat to using the litterbox.

I would also recommend looking at the space where the litterboxes are and seeing if there is anything cat-unfriendly about them. For example, are they near sometime that makes noise periodically, like a water heater or furnace? Is there enough light in the basement for her to see or is it really shadowy?

Also look at the consistency of the poop. Is it hard or soft? Does it have mucus or blood? If so, a vet visit is in order.

niika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've tried 2 litter brands so far, both are unscented, clumping, fine-medium grain.

Is the Cat Attract litter additive basically just catnip? Cause I have a whole jar of catnip, I just mixed some into her litterboxes today. We'll see if that helps at all!

Her poop isn't too hard or too soft. She just went for a vet check up last week and got the all-clear.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to try a soft litter. Litter box aversion is common with declawed cats. The litter hurts their feet.

niika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting. So something like newspaper?

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
try some sand instead to see if its yhe problem. You can get a big bag of sand at one of the home improvement stores.