I Have To Change Dry Food

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the food that tassee is on is rearly available at my store ive tried other stores and it the same problem shes been getting iams weight and hair ball care this is the food she came to us with a year ago ive been able to get it until a couple of months ago she is about 6 or seven yrs old and shes a savanaah so she about 10 pounds i sometimes give her canned but i want to keep her on dried is it okay to buy a generic cat food or should I go with something more vitamins she really screams for canned I created a monster but when its not available she will eat the dry

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
The canned food is healthier, more biologically appropriate and probably more satisfying which is why she screams for it.

Does she have a problem with hairballs or weight maintenance? If not, any balanced dry food should have the appropriate vitamins and minerals. Look for foods with the highest meat protein (meat as first couple of ingredients) and lowest amount of carbs fillers (peas, potatoes, corn, wheat and soy). She will feel more satisfied and less hungry if she gets an animal protein-rich diet. That’s more important I think than specific brands vs generic. Ingredients are key.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know where you are located, but if you have Amazon.com you could see if they offer the Iams product you are looking for online; Chewy.com, and there are other online options as well. If the weight and hairball version isn't necessary, another type of Iams might taste pretty close. A dry food can be used, especially if she is a grazer - and, then offer canned food, perhaps for a specific meal of the day?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Walmart, tractor supply and local grocery stores all have decent foods that you can try, both dry and canned. If you can, allow your kitty to eat wet food :)

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Canned food is better for cats. Especially one without added grains, grain products, like gluten, or fruits or veggies. Fancy Feast Classic Pate is a good one, and pretty affordable. It's what I give my little monsters :silver:that aren't eating raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she does sometimes has hair balls but not very much she wouild rather have canned but mom doesn't like the smell when I throw the empty cans away I wouild rather have her on dry