I have quite the chewer...

whisperedthing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully, he hasn't destroyed too many things - but he really likes wires. I've noticed almost all the toys he gravitates to are rubbery and mesh like material and he just chews and chews and chews. He quite liked the silvervine stick I gave to him - but I was wondering if there were any other crunchy chewable treats that I could give to him. You know how like, dogs can have rawhide and bones? Is there anything like that for cats?! I want him to be occupied with it for a few minutes. He likes the taste of Sheba's meaty sticks, but those are very chewy.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've seen Tiny Tiger (Chewy) stick treats that look similar to the ones you are talking about but have never tried them (not something my cat would want to eat). TINY TIGER Meaty Tenders Sticks Chicken Flavor Soft & Chewy Cat Treats 10 count - Chewy.com

Blue Buffalo has what they call True Chews Sticks. Vitakraft also has one called Purrsticks. These along with some similar ones are on Amazon. Amazon.com : cat sticks treats

You might want to look at cord/cable protectors, at least to cover wires. Amazon.com : cord protectors

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisperedthing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen Tiny Tiger (Chewy) stick treats that look similar to the ones you are talking about but have never tried them (not something my cat would want to eat). TINY TIGER Meaty Tenders Sticks Chicken Flavor Soft & Chewy Cat Treats 10 count - Chewy.com

Blue Buffalo has what they call True Chews Sticks. Vitakraft also has one called Purrsticks. These along with some similar ones are on Amazon. Amazon.com : cat sticks treats

You might want to look at cord/cable protectors, at least to cover wires. Amazon.com : cord protectors
Thank you for your suggestions! The Tiny Tiger and Purrsticks look similar to the Sheba ones, in that they're tender, but I'll give them a try! Perhaps before we go to sleep for the night because it's the biggest problem overnight when we can't monitor him. I don't love Blue Buffalo as a brand, but the True Chews look good!

Oh, and definitely will do! Most of the wires are already protected or hidden, but totally forgot to ensure our computer headphone wires were! They are now locked behind the gate under our computer desk when not in use, that gate keeps our computer wires safe too! My sister found it on the street for free and it's been the best thing that we've ever gotten lol!

Last edited:

whisperedthing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have a chewer.
Silvervine sticks are the biggest hit.
Cardboard boxes and scratchers. Likes to sink his teeth into them.

You can get rawhide free chews like this: No-Hide Cage-Free Chicken Stix Natural Rawhide Alternative Dog & Cat Chew

there's fish skin chews for dogs that are safe for cats: Richmond Valley Farms Fish Skin Chews Dog Treats | dog Chewy Treats | PetSmart

i got these before but my cats didn't like it: N-Bone - Cat chew Sticks
Love these suggestions! I am very interested in the fish skin chews - I had toyed around with the idea of getting those Minnow treats that are just straight up dried minnows, but I couldn't stomach the idea lol! I feed my cats lots of weird and natural foods - rabbit, duck, venison, Tiki cat with quail eggs, but I hateeeeee seeing an actual creature being eaten so this seems like a great option!

I had also seen the N-Bone! I'll probably get one of each treat and just test out what works and what doesn't. Definitely need to get more cardboard and silvervine sticks. Do you allow them unsupervised? I know there's some controversy and safety concerns with splintering, but the biggest problems we have is overnight when he's not being watched. I suppose just giving it to him an hour before we go to bed and taking it away would be good?

I also wanted to create a bite-y board for him (a name I came up with) with like, those rubber dental chew toys and mesh toys sticking up from, like, a box for him to chew at night. I want to create a "yes" spot for him to always have access to so he's not constantly searching and desperate to release that urge.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Love these suggestions! I am very interested in the fish skin chews - I had toyed around with the idea of getting those Minnow treats that are just straight up dried minnows, but I couldn't stomach the idea lol! I feed my cats lots of weird and natural foods - rabbit, duck, venison, Tiki cat with quail eggs, but I hateeeeee seeing an actual creature being eaten so this seems like a great option!

I had also seen the N-Bone! I'll probably get one of each treat and just test out what works and what doesn't. Definitely need to get more cardboard and silvervine sticks. Do you allow them unsupervised? I know there's some controversy and safety concerns with splintering, but the biggest problems we have is overnight when he's not being watched. I suppose just giving it to him an hour before we go to bed and taking it away would be good?

I also wanted to create a bite-y board for him (a name I came up with) with like, those rubber dental chew toys and mesh toys sticking up from, like, a box for him to chew at night. I want to create a "yes" spot for him to always have access to so he's not constantly searching and desperate to release that urge.
I get the thicker silvervine sticks so I haven't noticed a problem with splintering. I would watch him the first few times though yes. You'll see his habits and if he's likely to eat the bits of cardboard. Then decide if you feel safe leaving whatever out for him.

Yes definitely making a yes spot will be helpful. You could put a toothbrush on the board too! (As Long as you can change it out)

whisperedthing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the thicker one we can leave out.
Great, thank you!

Also since you have chewers, I wanted to let you know I found a treat called "Emerald Pet Dental Stixx" and they're about an inch and a half, maybe two inches - pretty hard and crunchy. My kitty, Bojji was working on it for a couple minutes so I hope that helps him feel more satisified. My girl Luma did not work on it as much, so make sure you watch your kitties with them first!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great, thank you!

Also since you have chewers, I wanted to let you know I found a treat called "Emerald Pet Dental Stixx" and they're about an inch and a half, maybe two inches - pretty hard and crunchy. My kitty, Bojji was working on it for a couple minutes so I hope that helps him feel more satisified. My girl Luma did not work on it as much, so make sure you watch your kitties with them first!
Thanks I'll check them out!