I have never seen a cat beg for water,...until now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fsttrk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the replys and info! It's funny gayef mentioned his teeth. He's schedualed for a cleaning after we get his test results back. They need cleaning pretty bad. His gums are dark so it's hard to tell if they're healthy. The last time I had his teeth cleaned he was 5 and he didn't even really need it then. I was pretty surprised when I looked in his mouth a month ago and there was a coating of plaque.
And yes he was on metrazonile?? an antibiotic when he first showed liver disease, but that was for a week. And then right after that, the new vet gave him a round of clavamox. Why??

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The reason I asked about the teeth was because the secondary systemic infections caused by bad teeth and gums can bring on stress-related issues, high blood glucose being one of them. Get the cleaning done ASAP - extractions if neccesary - and test his sugar again after the post-op antibiotics are finished. My ~guess~ is that his glucose readings will have decreased somewhat. And also, talk to your vet but anesthesia reduces blood glucose levels - ask her what to do about insulin the night before and morning of his dental cleaning. The vet may ask that you withhold insulin until after the effects of the anesthesia are out of his system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fsttrk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will asap and give an update as soon as I hear.

theophrastus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Out 13-year old male Maine Coon has been doing exactly the same thing!  Water demand is chronic, but it must be fresh.

His appetite is good, no digestive problems or other symptoms, but he has lost weight in the past year.

He has not been to the vet for a recent checkout -- last one was about 10 months ago, routine visit (no blood work done).

I will look up this  liver condition -- never heard of it!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out 13-year old male Maine Coon has been doing exactly the same thing!  Water demand is chronic, but it must be fresh.
His appetite is good, no digestive problems or other symptoms, but he has lost weight in the past year.
He has not been to the vet for a recent checkout -- last one was about 10 months ago, routine visit (no blood work done).

I will look up this  liver condition -- never heard of it!
If he has lost weight and is losing too fast, fatty liver disease is a real concern. I would set up a vet appointment asap.
As for the water, my cat is not a water beggar, on the contrary, he wasn't drinking enough, and I found Thirsty Cat Fountains are the best. I don't even have it turned on and my cat Loves it and will drink quite frequently now.
I have to warn that they are expensive, but they are hand made and totally worth it.