I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I loved the video clip! I think Finn is just curious. He knows Charlie is there and he wants to see. Have you started doing any scent swapping yet? That should be your next step.

The first feral I brought inside was in his safe room for months. Once I was comfortable handling him, I would put my other cat away and allow him time outside of his room.

I would concentrate on scent swapping first!
I did not see your reply til now! I'm looking forward to the scent swapping to see the reactions. I can put Charlie's scent in Finn's room, but I'm hesitant to expose Charlie to anything of Finn's until I'm sure he's clear of any virus. See my above response to jcatbird. Any idea of how to tell when a virus has run its course?

As far as your feral who was in his safe room for months - did he go stir crazy? Was it a large room? Was it difficult to get him back in his room when you allowed him time to explore?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooops, I forgot about Finn having the URI. Do wait until he is no longer contagious. Sorry about that. I would think once he's done with medication he would be ok. It usually takes 7-14 days.

My feral was ok in his room. He grew to really like it. He had a condo and a window to look outside. Once used to inside living, he was happy to see me visit and have some play time. He would meow at times and really wanted out. The composure liquid max really helped him to settle.

I did have a harder time getting him back to his room. I could pick him up, but had to hold him away from my body as he would squirm so much. It was always funny getting him back to his room. Sometimes he would come when I shook the treat bag and other times we had to coral him.

He used his safe room for one solid year. He was out much of the day time after a few months, but at night he wanted in his room. He let us know when he was ready for 24/7 out and about.

He is now the sweetest cat I have. I think back to what a challenge he was at first and realize what a dramatic shift he made. It look quite awhile and lots of baby steps, but he did it!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Day 2 of no bites on the books, now. PHEW! The squeaking mouse on a string toy is a big hit. He's such an athlete - he does NOT get tired!
Amazon Photos
There's no surface too high for him to reach, so I've started locking the door when I leave the room because he's also a smart cat; I've no doubt he can figure out the door handle when he gets braver.

I also can't get over how Charlie is waiting for me when I exit the room and does not appear to be the least bit disturbed. I hope that this is a good sign for future introductions. Finn is currently yowling in his room - I think he gets lonely in there, poor guy. :( I just heard Charlie give a little wail in response...and now he's doing zoomies around the house. No idea what that means.

When I feed him, he acts like he is STARVING. Tunnel vision - cannot see anything but that food, and he scarfs it down like he hasn't had a meal in days. Is this normal for strays? I'm feeding him three 3-oz cans a day and that's more than I feed my 17.4 lb Charlie, yet he still acts starved.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scarfing food is normal. When you don’t know if the food will always be there, you eat to store up the calories. Outside requires a lot more calories. He is also young and still growing. His appetite should settle......eventually. Lol
The mouse chase! :flail:That was fun! My kitties love that same toy. It is the favorite here and I often hear that squeak off in the distance as I go through daily chores. That mouse travels a lot around here. Stick and all! Watching the cats drag the mouse in their mouth with stick trailing always cracks me up. I used to try putting it away but the cats always managed to retrieve it. I think you have found just what Finn needed.
Charlie sounds like he is actually enjoying a secluded house guest. Putting the kitten back into him. I know they will have adjustments to make and right now Finn is on restriction but really hoping that the atmosphere carries through. It’s looking very good. Charlie seems very secure in his position in the house. I love it when they get excited and have Zoomies! Playtime all around! :yess: Love the video!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I feed him, he acts like he is STARVING. Tunnel vision - cannot see anything but that food, and he scarfs it down like he hasn't had a meal in days. Is this normal for strays? I'm feeding him three 3-oz cans a day and that's more than I feed my 17.4 lb Charlie, yet he still acts starved.
Actually yes, that is completely normal for any stray or feral that has ever gone without food. They learn to eat what they can, when they can, and as much as they can at the time because they don't know when their next meal will be. Some grow out of it after being inside for a while and realize that they get fed at set times every day and aren't going hungry, but some never get over it and will inhale any food they come across.

If Finn turns out to be the latter, even if he gets along with your current Cat, you will need to separate them when it's food time or Finn will likely inhale his food then try to steal Charlie's.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Day 2 of no bites on the books, now. PHEW!
Excellent. :clap2: Good boy, Finn. :catlove:

The perseverance and patience is admirable. It takes a special kind of person to rescue the wild ones! You ladies are pretty amazing.
I have the utmost amount of admiration for the rescuers of ferals. And I've learned so much from reading posts documenting their rescues.
You, @buffster, are well on your way to joining that elite group, btw. :petcat:

The squeaking mouse on a string toy is a big hit. He's such an athlete - he does NOT get tired!
He really is an energetic boy! :runningcat::climbcat: :dizzycat:

When I feed him, he acts like he is STARVING. Tunnel vision - cannot see anything but that food, and he scarfs it down like he hasn't had a meal in days. Is this normal for strays?
My Ruby was like that when I adopted her. At first, she would eat every speck, so that the dish looked dishwasher clean when she walked away. And she waas always on the search for food. Once she ate a muffin paper I'd left on the counter! Her food obsession lasted about 6 or 8 months, I think, until finally she started leaving food in her dish for later.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
RE: Using double sided sticky tape to deter scratching, I have used it for years, and it has not stained any fabric or surface I have ever put it on, and it has deterred the cat away from 100% of the items i have placed it upon.
Feral Mom Feral Mom , have you placed it on leather? I have a soft leather headboard and wondering if I should cover it. Something tells me I may need to cover everything with this active guy.

Charlie sounds like he is actually enjoying a secluded house guest. Putting the kitten back into him.
Jcatbird Jcatbird You know, I've had the same thought! I want to dismiss it as wishful thinking on my part, but there's still a bit of hope. This morning when I exited Finn's room, I have that massage bed leaning up on it's side against the 'cage' I built around the doorway out of closet shelves. Charlie was perched on the massage table and eavesdropping on the whole visit. It makes me nervous because he wants his nose right up against me, and if Finn is still contagious, not good. I sprint to the laundry room and shed clothes and wipe myself down with disinfecting wipes before coming back out to Charlie.
BUT - Charlie seems happy! And definitely more playful. I know things could deteriorate rapidly when they see/smell each other and when his space is invaded, but maybe, just maybe, these two could be friends one day. That would make my heart SO happy.

If Finn turns out to be the latter, even if he gets along with your current Cat, you will need to separate them when it's food time or Finn will likely inhale his food then try to steal Charlie's.
His food obsession is working in my favor for now - it's a great motivator or distraction when needed. Charlie was the same way when I took him in, and he is still food-obsessed. Finn would have his work cut out for him if he every tried to steal food from Charlie. You're right - I may need to separate them at mealtime for their safety!

Finally, who has tried the Scat Mats and did they work for you? Charlie has never been a counter-surfer, so I never had to deal with it. Finn the street kid has learned zero manners, yet. I'm gong to need something to put an all my kitchen, dining, and bathroom surfaces. Do the Scat Mats work?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been a week! Keep it up! You really are doing very well!
I was just going back and re-reading some of the advice that you guys have given and read this post again. I don't think I've said it yet, but my hat is off to you and all of you who work through issues with aggressive cats. Finn's bites are more fear than aggression and NOTHING like what you deal with, but they scared me enough that I was concerned I would be unable to bond with him. I can't imagine working with an aggressive cat day in and day out. Those of you who persevere and patiently work through these issues are inspiring. Just want to give kudos!

Edit: Oops, I was trying to quote an older post where you were telling me about Joey, but it didn't work!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just going back and re-reading some of the advice that you guys have given and read this post again. I don't think I've said it yet, but my hat is off to you and all of you who work through issues with aggressive cats. Finn's bites are more fear than aggression and NOTHING like what you deal with, but they scared me enough that I was concerned I would be unable to bond with him. I can't imagine working with an aggressive cat day in and day out. Those of you who persevere and patiently work through these issues are inspiring. Just want to give kudos!
Oh, trust me, you're actually doing REALLY good with him and have made a lot of progress.

Here's a bit on one of my rescues so you can compare. It's more of a recap since I had rescued them and gotten them shelter placement before I joined this site, but still.

Semi-feral Drop Offs

I later adopted the mother after one of my fosters went back to the shelter, and she is doing great.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I later adopted the mother after one of my fosters went back to the shelter, and she is doing great.
Oh my goodness, what a story - I love happy endings! I am so glad that mama is with you - wrenching to think of the sheer terror of climbing the walls and launching herself into windows. It makes the happy ending even sweeter. :redheartpump:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Couple quick questions re: URI

1. Finn is still sneezing. Not a lot, but twice tonight and once earlier in the day. How long do these symptoms of a URI generally linger? Is it important that I know what type or URI it is?

2. How contagious are we talking, here? Lately whenever I exit Finn's room, Charlie is either sitting on top of the massage table that's propped up against the 'cage' (will attach pic),

or he's right at the spot where I come out of the room. Is this a problem?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I *think* the cats have to come into contact with each other, or something the other has touched, but I'm not 100% sure of that, as I know the URIs run rampant in animal shelters. My Ruby, in fact, was sneezing the first time I saw her at the shelter, and she came home with drops to put in her eyes.

Here's a link that might answer your questions:
Feline Upper Respiratory Infection

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I *think* the cats have to come into contact with each other, or something the other has touched, but I'm not 100% sure of that, as I know the URIs run rampant in animal shelters. My Ruby, in fact, was sneezing the first time I saw her at the shelter, and she came home with drops to put in her eyes.

Here's a link that might answer your questions:
Feline Upper Respiratory Infection
Ahhh, thank you! Reading that eases the mind - I was imagining some virus with potential to be more dangerous than just a cold. I still don't want Charlie catching it, but this will lessen the need for the full-on hazmat suit I don and doff every time (not really but close). Thank you rubysmama rubysmama !

Eases my mind also because Charlie is parking himself right outside the door. There's no stopping him. I placed a chair next to it so he can jump down to protect his joints from all his weight. The beauty of this development is that I don't get the feeling that he's "guarding" his house, but more of friendly curiosity. He's done more Zoomies this past week than he's done this year. High hopes!

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To Buffster7 Buffster7

wow, i have a lot of reading to catch up on here, but, seems you are making progress, GOOD ON YOU!! Whoooooot!!!

//" Feral Mom Feral Mom , have you placed it on leather? I have a soft leather headboard and wondering if I should cover it. Something tells me I may need to cover everything with this active guy. "//

Honestly, no, i have not tried it on leather, however, I would think it would be okay, since this tape leaves no residual when removed. I do not think you would have to entirely coat the leather, but, instead, you would have to put well placed strips all over so cat can not touch the headboard without getting his paw on some tape.
YOu could start with the headboard well taped up,
and over time,
every week,
remove a few of the strips of tape.

You will want to own enough tape so you can replace it if the cat does touch it, and takes the tape down. You would have to re-apply the tape. However, that first attempt by the cat might damage your headboard!!
as until the cat has touched the tape, the cat won't realize he does not like touching the headboard.:gingercat:

....however, come to think of it, having tape on your headboard might not be comfy for YOU, as you would not be able to lean against your own headboard,
until the cat has memorized "this headboard IS YUCKY!!:angrycat:"

To be safe, you should/ could take a small portion of this tape, and apply it to an unseen, hidden spot and wait a week or so to examine how it looks.
I think it would be fine because this tape leaves NO residue whatsoever, absolutely no residue is left behind, not even on fabric curtains in the Florida sun, :fireblob:still, no stickiness left behind.

PS---I have only used that brand i posted before, so, if you get some other brand of tape? i can not say how some other brand might work out.

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and wow, that Finn is so cute!! It WOULD be so hard not to just pet him!!
Finn is so adorable and so small,
what a cute voice, i am so enjoying your videos!!
Where did you get that squeaking mouse on a string? I want one!

It does seem encouraging that Finn stopped his own self from biting. Seems like Finn might be a quick learner. Sounds like Charlie is getting in shape to have a friend, ha haha, with all those zoomies! :lol:

Last edited:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PS---I have only used that brand i posted before, so, if you get some other brand of tape? i can not say how some other brand might work out.
That's perfect - I bought the brand you recommended! I'll do a little spot test just in case, but Florida curtains unscathed by the tape bodes well.

Today will be a real test to see if Finn bites. I brought a blanket of Charlie's in here this morning and left it laying at the door on the floor. I'm also allowing him to sit in my lap while I type this - more contact than he's had in the past few days. Will see how he handles it.

Earlier today Charlie was sitting outside the door and made a sound. Finn heard it and responded. I got a little of it on video; you can't really hear Charlie very well, but you can hear Finn. I won't be allowing face to face contact til Finn is clear of this URI, but I thought this was sweet. Wish I'd refrained from speaking so you could hear the boys talking more clearly!

Amazon Photos