I have had it with FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis).

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I have treated 10 cases of FIP successfully up to this point and I have learned so much about the disease process. I was also involved in a study at UC Davis for a cat that I treated. However, I am not prepared when a cat comes in extremely healthy and has a body full of fluid which is indicative of wet FIP yet the A/G ratio is 0.8! I know some of that may be hard to understand without prior knowledge. But I wanted to share this journey with you. Blue is an FeLV cat that has had it rough since he was found caked in asphalt. He is two years old.

His blood results are perfect. I hope I am not alone in this when I say that I would do anything for any cat, regardless of their life span. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. And while the hellos are outweighed by the goodbyes, I still fight hard for the next as I did for the former. But I have saved so many cats that people gave up on, that I go against the grain. I feel belittled in situations like that. Surely I am not the only one willing to treat cats that no one else would?

Siasm.jpg

Belly Pic.png

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have treated 10 cases of FIP successfully up to this point and I have learned so much about the disease process. However, I am not prepared when a cat comes in extremely healthy and has a body full of fluid which is indicative of wet FIP yet the A/G ratio is 0.8! I know some of that may be hard to understand without prior knowledge. But I wanted to share this journey with you. Blue is an FeLV cat that has had it rough since he was found caked in asphalt. He is two years old.

His blood results are perfect. I hope I am not alone in this when I say that I would do anything for any cat, regardless of their life span. But I keep thinking - it HAS TO BE SOMETHING ELSE. But I am stuck. Some may see that as stupid and I am constantly scrutinized for that. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. And while the hellos are outweighed by the goodbyes, I still fight hard for the next as I did for the former. But I have saved so many cats that people gave up on, that I go against the grain. I feel belittled in situations like that. Surely I am not the only one?

View attachment 374283

View attachment 374282
Siamic Siamic I am so sorry Blue is having health issues. Since this is a health issue, TCS recommends and I agree that non-professionals are not qualified to give diagnoses and that you would be wise to consult a second vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Good point. I deleted anything that related to even remotely hinting at the desire for other medical opinions. Thank you for your kind words. It is nice to know you are not at it alone, and many times, it feels like that.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point. I deleted anything that related to even remotely hinting at the desire for other medical opinions. Thank you for your kind words. It is nice to know you are not at it alone, and many times, it feels like that.
I have lost two beloved ones to FIP -- one to dry-form at almost 16, unprecedented for the time; and the other, a baby of almost 3 months, to wet-form. So it's really personal for me. I do hope you're able to find what's up with Blue and that someone is able to make it right. When my beloved Sun was initially diagnosed, it was for asthma. He developed fluid in the lungs suddenly and without warning. This was quite awhile ago, and I believe it was more a guess than anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I didn't read your original post before you edited it, but still want to commend you for what you have done. I can't even imagine what you have gone through to accomplish what you have, but you can't minimize the strides you've made because of the frustrations you face in lesser successful cases. I lost my very first cat, Tawny, to FIP so many years ago (1992) that it is amazing to me - knowing what I know now - that anyone even knew that is what took him down. He had the wet version, so a bit easier to identify than the dry. He was 15, so I look back now and am just grateful that I had the time that I did with him and took care of him the best I could to that very last moment.

My story doesn't help you in any way, but I tell you because I think that what you are doing matters - it matters a lot.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I didn't read your original post before you edited it, but still want to commend you for what you have done. I can't even imagine what you have gone through to accomplish what you have, but you can't minimize the strides you've made because of the frustrations you face in lesser successful cases. I lost my very first cat, Tawny, to FIP so many years ago (1992) that it is amazing to me - knowing what I know now - that anyone even knew that is what took him down. He had the wet version, so a bit easier to identify than the dry. He was 15, so I look back now and am just grateful that I had the time that I did with him and took care of him the best I could to that very last moment.

My story doesn't help you in any way, but I tell you because I think that what you are doing matters - it matters a lot.
Your story is so similar to mine, and around the same time frame. Just wanted to give empathy.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your frustration. Although I know most cats have FCoV, I still get terrified my cat also is a carrier. It feels like walking on eggshells and makes every decision difficult for me (to not stress her.)

On a more positive note, when my cat was ill with something two years ago, her bloodwork including A/G ratio indicated FIP. But it was false alarm. She had something else that is rare. You know there is no test for FIP, they diagnose it by eliminating other disease options + some combinations commonly found among FIP patients. I believe it's always good to get at least a second opinion, maybe also third.

I will share this from a few days ago. I'll repeat I think we should all publicly ask Gilead to help cats.

FIP Is Treatable Now?