I have an insane kitten!

paige woodward

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my baby is almost 5 months old and getting crazier by the day! I totally know that kittens are hyper and curious and all of that stuff, but seriously is this normal?

She scales up the curtains to be at the top of the window, like sits on the curtain rod, scales up really tall dressers, climbs all the way up the screen door, and the picture below is the weirdest one of all.

I got her a fancy shmancy cat tree that's high but she only goes on it to sleep, not climb.

I heard Siamese are pretty crazy like this, but will she ever chill out a little? Haha I'm scared she's going to get hurt!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  Yep, I'm afraid it sounds normal to me too.    Some cats seem to like being high up more than others, and some are better at climbing.  One of Mouse's half sisters was as terror for climbing curtains and running about on the curtain poles at the breeder's home she was a petite kitty who seemed to be able to climb up bare walls!  

On the question of settling down:  there is every chance she will.  Probably gradually over the next two years or thereabouts.  Mouse was a 24/7 bouncing fur blur for 2 1/2 years but gradually calmed down.  He loved strokes and belly rubs from the word go but was never a lap cat until he started to calm down. I used to worry he would never come to me for snuggles.  He now climbs up into my arms whenever he feels the need for a little cuddle and snuggle and then wanders off to do his own thing until his next need for a short rest.   (He is now 5).  

You are right to think about whether your baby might get hurt during her climbing antics.  Mouse got very well acquainted with the vet in his first year with me.  
    It was in part due to him developing a nasty mouth infection and part because of his hyper active zoomies.  He pulled a climbing frame down by getting his tail tangled up when I was first putting it up, and then managed to bounce up without checking what was around him and landed on an unlit dinner candle which hard-waxed his little buttox.  

There were numerous near misses too with him falling off stuff - including the tops of doors and from high shelves in my cupboards....  but didn't need vet visits.   My advice is to keep ornaments and surface 'things' to a minimum so fewer things to land on or break and hurt herself on, pad the floor beneath high things she likes to climb on but doesn't always manage to stay on, and provide alternative, staged routes up and down so she can opt for less jarring, high risk descents.    I also block up / cover larger loop handles and other things Mouse can get his legs stuck in when he is leaping around and falling off things.  

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beauty your cat is! Our neighbor's Siamese comes and visits our yard frequently, and we're always amazed when watching him climb all our tall trees and fence to get in and out of our yard. He's a big older cat but has no problem scaling the tree trunks. Seems nothing out of the ordinary with your kitty; she just loves to climb.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol my cat Shadow does the same thing with doors. Especially if there is furniture nearby. I have 2 cats who love to climb everything in sight. They love curtains, screens, doors, shelves, mantles and tall furniture. The closer they can get to the ceiling, the greater the appeal it seems.

It's hard to keep them from doing these things. I try to make it as safe for them as possible, making sure everything is secure and nothing breakable for them to knock over. I worry about them getting hurt but have learned there is little I can do to stop them.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is perfectly normal and will outgrow a lot of this. Mingo stopped jumping up on things when he got heavier and whatever he was trying to climb couldn't support his weight. That means I had to toss a shower liner after he ripped it to shreds. Like Mouse, Mingo has become more snuggly; he's 2 years old this month. It took that long for him to hop into my lap.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha this seems a lot like my Indie! He's coming on 2 years now and STILL does this, though not as often. He'll have a climbing spree about thrice a day, and he'll be jumping off the walls (literally!!) and smashing into doors, it's really hilarious! He expects our other cats to chase him, but none of them can keep up with him -- the littlest, Sparrow, tries to, but she's too small for him lmao.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After 3 years they calm down a bit, that is a bit, I think two of mine are now around 7 years old and they still get these moments when they climb up trees and are acting like insane, but that is what cats are, sensible and cat does not fit into same space and time, it is all the fun and being crazy, I don't know if Siamese or Burmese is worse in that, but probably the craziest breeds and that means they are just having more fun than others!

Friend has a Burmese and there is no question about who is the boss, that one has a lot of character and energy for sure!

Mine are none of those breeds, but when under 3 years old they did all the crazy things like running around the chimney so fast that eventually failing to steer, meaning they face planted against the wall, then they changed direction and did it again and so long that they were huffing and puffing from exhaustion.

I guess it just is how they learn their limits, by testing them out.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Zander is almost a year and still loves to get on top of cabinets.
  At 5 I still see a glint in Mouse's eyes every time he sees me stationary anywhere near a door or high shelving.....  me being his ladder up to such places.  
   Sometimes he still catches me unawares from behind and leaps up my back, off my shoulders and onto the door or shelf before I can move.   

He's so happy when he succeeds.  Problem is he wants me to stick around so when he FINALLY wants to get down he can use me as a stepping stone. That can be quite a while and a lot of the contents of my wardrobe can be on the floor before he reaches that point.  

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

At 5 I still see a glint in Mouse's eyes every time he sees me stationary anywhere near a door or high shelving.....  me being his ladder up to such places.  
   Sometimes he still catches me unawares from behind and leaps up my back, off my shoulders and onto the door or shelf before I can move.   

He's so happy when he succeeds.  Problem is he wants me to stick around so when he FINALLY wants to get down he can use me as a stepping stone. That can be quite a while and a lot of the contents of my wardrobe can be on the floor before he reaches that point.  
Many years ago I had a cat that would get on top of the house and when she was ready to get down she would meow until I went outside. At first she would just jump on me then I learned to turn my back to her and bend over some and she would jump on my back to get down.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Many years ago I had a cat that would get on top of the house and when she was ready to get down she would meow until I went outside. At first she would just jump on me then I learned to turn my back to her and bend over some and she would jump on my back to get down.
Yep, that is exactly the technique I use here.   Mouse isn't very vocal and mostly I have to listen for him rustling about when he's in my wardrobe or some other cupboard.  If he's on the top of a door I always stay close by because there's a higher chance of him falling off them....

skidmoresusan3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I grew up with Siamese..how about a companion to play with? Beautiful cat. Quite healthy looking. My suggestion is find a playmate..it's said that cats are solitary..territorial yes..but solitary? Nah. The best exercise for a kitten is another kitten!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty is tortie, not a Siamese, but her grand daddy was a Siamese!  She was a total holy terror for a full two years.  At eight, she's now a settled, dignified (most of the time) matron...except when she yowls and runs full speed around the house three time before flopping in my lap and purring like a fiend.  She literally climbed the walls and walked the rafters (due to a strange set of circumstances that do not bear repeating, I lived with my cat in an unfinished garage for 18 months.  It was an adventure, and had its charms, but I'm quite happily ensconced in an apartment now).  Give it time.  They rarely do themselves a damage.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NOTIFICATION FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF REDUNDANCY DEPARTMENT:

"insane kitten" = "kitten kitten."  THEY ARE ALL BUGNUTS!