I have accidentally stolen the neighbour's cat's affections

kel77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I bought a house, and the next door neighbour has two cats, Casper and Daisy.  I rarely see Casper, but Daisy is now a firm feature in my life. She comes over every day, and waits outside my back or front door, depending on my schedule, which she seems to have picked up on somewhat. I work nights, so I tend to see her in the day.

My neighbour remarked on how she'd taken to me, as he said she was usually nervous of new people, and he'd also told me she was an outdoors cat, and wouldn't even go inside his house anymore, and that when they'd recently been a big thunderstorm, he'd left the window open for her, but she'd stayed outside sheltered under some tarpaulin.

Well, she has no such reservations with my house. At first she would just sit in the grass, or on the back step and peer into the kitchen and observe me, but now she will just wander in and out as she pleases. I have to make sure the kitchen door to the rest of the house is closed, or I end up having to search the house for her.

If I sit down on the back steps, or in a dining chair in my kitchen, or in a deckchair in the backyard, she jumps up onto my knees, and pushes her head into my hands so I can pet her, or she can sit in my lap and observe the garden, or just look at me, and occasionally tap me with her paws, then usually settles down for a sleep of a few hours, or however long I have to spare, before I rouse her. I've taken to leaving books lying around, so I can have something to do whilst she snoozes away in my lap.  If she's not sure if she's allowed in, if she can see I'm sitting eating, and thus there is no room on my lap, I only have to pat my lap, and she will come in and leap up, and then depending on what I'm eating, she goes up my arm and sits across my shoulders, sometimes just perching on one, either making abortive attempts for the food, and just loudly purring in my ear. I can even get up and wander around with her on my shoulders, whilst I make myself a cup of tea or whatever. Or she will perch on the back of the dining chair, til I come sit back down.  She follows me up and down the garden as well, if I'm going to the shed, or to put out washing, she just wanders down the path after me, or if I am gardening, she just sits in the grass and watches me.

She has scent-marked the backdoor, the dining room table, whatever book I'm holding (not by spraying, but by rubbing her cheeks on them - at first I just thought she had itchy cheeks, til I looked that up), and I think she must have been neutered, as she hasn't tried to spray in the house. She doesn't do any of her business in the house, although she did start to use the vegetable patch I dug, as I assume she thought it was a giant litter tray for her. She also sits in my lap and grooms herself and also occasionally me. Oh, and she uses my gate posts as scratching posts.

Anyway, the point of all this is, as she clearly has decided I belong to her, now I am worried for her welfare.  Like, should I consider feeding her? She's managed for 10 years on her own, and I'm assuming my neighbour still leaves out food for her. and our garden's back onto a forest anyway, so I'm sure there's lots of wildlife she could catch.  I was putting out a bowl of milk, til I was told milk is bad for cats, so I stopped that, and put out a bowl of water instead, so on hot days she will have something to drink. She has also licked a plate clean that had had salmon on it, when I'd turned my back, and I've also once gave her the the remains of cooked lamb on the bone that I'd had left over. She now seems to think I'm going to feed her though because she just look inside and meows, even if I'm outside and she comes up to me then goes back to the backdoor looking inside, like she's waiting for me to go get her food. And to my shame I eventually go and give in, and get her a teeny piece of tinned salmon. I don't want to have accidentally made her dependent on me for food. Also, I don't have a cat-flap, I can't be leaving my backdoor open for her at all hours for her to come and go, and equally I don't want to leave the windows open either, as I don't want flying pests coming in. But I feel guilty, because if I've been upstairs in the house for hours on end, then come down, and open the backdoor, she's sat there waiting for me, and I don't know how long she's been waiting. Another also, her claws could probably do with being trimmed, depending on what I'm wearing, they go right through the fabric, and whilst they don't puncture my skin, they can be sharp. On that note, should I buy a scratching post, to save my poor gate posts?  Plus, my parents are not cat people and will freak over having a cat around when they finally come to visit. Luckily, they live about 400 miles away, but I have just over a month before they show up, but I don't know what I'm going to do when they do.  Mind you, she may not want to come in, whilst they're here.

What am I to do? I can't tell my neighbour "Oh, by the way, I've accidentally stolen the affections of that cat you had since she was a kitten", plus I have no idea how to take care of a cat, plus she's not even my cat! I am on a cat website, for a cat that is not even my cat. This is a ridiculous state of affairs. Should just let things carry on as they are or what?  Any insight on this matter would be much appreciated.

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
It sounds to me like you and this cat have bonded! I think the first thing you need to do is decide what YOU want. A pet is a personal decision, and since you are an adult and living on your own, it really doesn't matter if your parents like the cat. Would you be willing to make lifestyle changes (like a cat door....unless you want her to be indoor)? Are you willing to take the responsibility of the cats needs (food, medical, shelter)?

If the answer to all that is yes, than I would just be honest with her owner! Obviously, she is not a big part of his life, and maybe he wouldn't mind letting her be with you. She likes you :-) Sometimes cats just pick their own people!

Good luck!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you had a good chat to you neighbour about this?  That would be my first port of call.  You can say it diplomatically.. let them know you haven't been feeding her (as you haven't, regularly - you've been very good about that) and how she loves being in your house.   They may think she would be happier with you - it sounds to me like she definitely would.  Or they may think there is a way of 'sharing' Daisy.

If any of this works out, then there's lots of good advice on this site on how to look after your new companion!

Let us know how you go.

mmmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A near neighbour also accidentally adopted/stole my cat about 6 months ago - she was feeding him but he still came around for his breakfast, every morning without fail!

Mister Greedy or what?

She told me he likes sitting down with her Bichon Friese and watching her huge wide-screen TV. Also Mister Spoiled or what?

Now she's just moved out of the area and he's back with a vengeance - and sulking because I do not possess a huge wide-screen TV, or any TV come to that. He'll just have to come down to earth and get used to listening BBC Digital Radio.....................tough!

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

What am I to do? I can't tell my neighbour "Oh, by the way, I've accidentally stolen the affections of that cat you had since she was a kitten", plus I have no idea how to take care of a cat, plus she's not even my cat! I am on a cat website, for a cat that is not even my cat. This is a ridiculous state of affairs.
I'm sorry but I got a giggle out of this statement. Sounds like you've found out that you don't own cats, cats own you! I'd chat with the owner of the cat and go from there.

Good luck!

Last edited:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A near neighbour also accidentally adopted/stole my cat about 6 months ago - she was feeding him but he still came around for his breakfast, every morning without fail!

Mister Greedy or what?

She told me he likes sitting down with her Bichon Friese and watching her huge wide-screen TV. Also Mister Spoiled or what?

Now she's just moved out of the area and he's back with a vengeance - and sulking because I do not possess a huge wide-screen TV, or any TV come to that. He'll just have to come down to earth and get used to listening BBC Digital Radio.....................tough!
my cat charlie is just like your boy! they must be related ; )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kel77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For anyone who ever wondered what happened. This situation carried on for a while. My neighbour didn't mind me looking after Daisy, so Daisy would hang out all day with me and then I'd put her out at night, which Daisy did not like. But my neighbour was still feeding her. She didn't move in full time with me till September that year. I went to visit family for a week, and the whole time I was so worried about Daisy, which was silly because she was still getting fed and hanging out in my backyard. Anyway, when I got back , my neighbour told that Daisy would sit at the top of my garden and look down to where my car was usually parked. He said he'd never seen anything like it from her. At this point I was like that's it she's mine. He was OK with this, because he said he was always worried about her being out in all weathers all night, but he knew she be safe inside with me now.

Over the years she survived a heart murmur, a stroke, which resulted in losing the ability to walk and partial loss of sight, learning to walk again, high blood pressure and potassium deficiency. She outlived her brother.

And on November 14th 2018, she went to her final rest.

Bye bye baby, I didn't have you long, but I'll love you forever <3 xxx

FB_IMG_1542233543296.jpg

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:( didn't see that coming. Thought it would be a happy story. Why don't we live in a world where cats don't die, eergh.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you took her in. She could have had the stroke in the forest and slowly starved to death. You were the best thing that could have happened to her and she knew it the moment she saw you. Some times, I believe they are waiting for the people they are destined to have.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww. I'm so glad you both found each other! Your neighbor did really care about her afterall.

Really sorry for your loss...but glad she was with you in her final years.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very sorry for the loss of your Daisy! I new here, so as I read our thread, I'm thinking this is a cool story! Then, I looked at the date, OK 4 1/2 years ago. Then wondered who bumped the thread?

Anyways, again, I'm very sorry for your loss!

Pops

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
K kel77 So very sorry for your loss of Daisy. I believe being chosen by a cat is one of life's greatest pleasures. I have been blessed to have been chosen 3 times. Two were calicos. Daisy is now in a perfect condition in a perfect place.
My dad unintentionally stole the neighbor's cat a few years ago. Chester just started showing up and hanging out. Their time together kept increasing. Finally the neighbor came down to enquire if dad had seen their cat recently (Chester had moved in by then). Dad said yes, he's over on the lawn tractor seat. The neighbor didn't seem too bothered. Earlier this year the neighbor came over and said they were moving and dad could keep Chester. (Like they had a choice as dad and Chester had been together for over 5 years lol).
Sometimes a good person helps a cat and sometimes a good cat helps a person. Chester was a great comfort to my father as dad lost his battle with pancreatic cancer in October.
You were a great comfort to Daisy. I wish you peace.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read the whole story for the first time, and if I have ever heard anything about star-crossed kitty/human pairs this was almost magical. I’m so sad that she recently passed, but what Ana amazing time you two had. Sounds like she choose the right person. My heartfelt condolences, and yet my heartfelt congratulations on such and amazing love you shared.

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your and Daisy's story. I'm sorry for your loss. She obviously chose you and I'm glad you two found each other!

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you for updating. What an amazing and inspiring story!