I have a stray cat

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, and :welcomesign:to TCS! Thank you for taking in a stray who needs your love and care! :purr:
In order to help you, I'd love to get more information on your kitty-
Will he let you approach him at all, or does he hiss at you?
How long have you had him?
Do you know how old he is, and is he spayed/neutered?
Until then, here are some great articles to help you get started:
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
Good luck with your new friend, and please keep us updated with pictures and such!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many tips we can give you about socializing your kitty. Food is a great tool to use. Sitting or laying down on the floor or in the yard near the food and just letting kitty get used to your presence is a start. As kitty accepts that you can begin to move the food closer to you and eventually put it beside you or even in your lap. Letting the kitty make the first moves is important because pursuing a cat can make them go the other way. If you can offer some food that kitty loves as a hand fed treat, that can help too. Another tool is a toy on a string. You can slowly drag the toy closer to you which will bring the kitty closer. Again, let kitty come to you. Don’t leave the string toy with the kitty though because cats can swallow the string. If you leave a shirt or something with your scent on it for the kitty to examine, sniff or even to lay on, kitty will recognize your scent. When your scent is familiar and associated with good things like food, trust develops. Welcome to the site! I hope we here more about you and the kitty!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="RLedbetter3098, post: 5240408, member: 10053392"
I don't know how to make my stray
[/QUOTE]
I have taken cats right off the streets at various ages and the ones I had a problem with were what I call "true ferals". I know many who deal with outdoor cats just think there are two categories for them; Stray (domesticated but lost or abandoned) or feral(no socialization and very little contact with humans. I believe in the third category: Semi-ferals(cats born outdoors, but have had enough contact with humans that they are not shy like ferals.) Right now, out of the two groups of cats I feed, I say they're 5 cats I can pet and one is a lap cat who allow me to scratch his belly.😻 I would love to get these cats off the streets, but can't right now. Strays can be re- acquainted with being a domestic kitty and I believe Semi-ferals can be taken in, and it may take some time and patience to bring them around, but I have done it and seen others do it as well. I have also seen true ferals taken in and the success rate is on the low side because it may take a very long time to get them use to domestic living, and still they never really lose their feral traits. I think true ferals would be happier on the streets--that is home. If you ever had to relocate them, it has to be a last resort. Look for a new colony for them and when you find one, they will have to be outside in a crate for 3 weeks, so they can get use to their new environment and they can get use to the new colony(and vice versa). For semi-ferals, you have the option, if they are on the friendly side, you may want to take them off the streets and take the time to domesticate them or you can also transfer them to a new colony, just like the true feral. Strays should be checked out to see that they are not someone's missing pet and if their owner cannot be found, take them off the streets. If not friendly and no owner could be found, then colony transfer is the other option for them.

Set this kitty in a small room with a crate and a place that he can hide when scared. Give him space. Show that you mean him no harm, sit or kneel down when you are in your presence, the smaller you make yourself, the more at ease he will be with you. Feed him using a spoon when he is in the crate. Talk to him in a comforting voice. Interact with him when he is not stressed out by using feather wands or string toys (the longer the better until you gain their trust.) Let him out of the crate in the closed off room when you feel he has begun to trust you, sit down and interact with him through play or food. When this cat no longer fear you, his personality will come out. Take things one step at a time and don't rush things. It may take a while, but you will eventually break through. Best of luck to you.
[/QUOTE]