I have a question about using Mirtaz

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this has been discussed at length to varying degrees. I'm just a bit troubled everytime I use this, which is quite infrequent - about a month apart roughly. Still, every time I do it I have to wonder a few things. First of all, the reason I use it is that without it I sometimes get to the point where I have to frequently add some sort of crumbled dry treat on top of her canned food in order to get her to start eating. Otherwise, she'll walk up to it, take a sniff, and promptly walk away. Other times, though, she'll eat without any treat topper. Same food, so that's just weird. I gave Mirtaz last night and so far so good, as expected. Pretty much cleaning her bowl, where before she started to leave quite a bit that just winds up in the trash. So what I grapple with is: by giving her a stimulant am I sort of forcing her to eat in a situation where otherwise she probably, for whatever reason, would prefer not to? Thing is, she always ACTS hungry, but then - as described - often walks away unless I get creative with some sort of dry, crumbled up topper. And, the whole idea of making her hungrier far more often than is normally the case sort of bothers me also. I fully understand that many here use it to maintain an otherwise declining weight and for those cats that simply don't want to eat anymore. In my case, I really believe it has become more of a fussiness issue. So far I have used it once in late November, once in January, and now yesterday. So I guess I probably shouldn't be all that concerned since I know some here use it regularly. I think what nags at me is the situation I went through with my previous hyperthyroid cat, where we got to the point that she was getting a stimulant constantly, ultimately to only keep losing weight anyway. My cat, so far anyway, holds her weight fine.

All the above said, WHY it seems I only need to use this as infrequently as I thus far have is a puzzle also. Surely the stuff doesn't stay in their systems for days / weeks. I can't imagine there is a longterm residual effect, but if I didn't know better I'd almost say that's the case. Thanks for any thoughts. I do believe that I'm unecessarily beating myself up a bit due to what I went through with my other cat. It all takes me right back to some painful memories. Had you asked me a year ago if I'd be willing to again use an appetite stimulant on a cat that's not eating well, I've have probably said no. In my case, it might be more of her simply getting tired of a specific food more frequently than has been the case the past 13 years, being that she literally ate the same food all that time, until just the past half-year or so. Guess I was "spoiled"! And, admittedly, sometimes I feel I just need a timeout from struggling a bit to get her to eat.

Last edited:

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat used to be very food motivated and then just before our other cat passed away her eating slowed down. It's been two years and it still hasn't returned. She's been on mirataz for just about a year but she gets a tiny dose - only a 1/4 inch once a day. Somedays if she is being extra fussy she'll get a second or third dose but that is rare.

Even on mirataz it's still not easy to get her to eat and she'll do the act hungry, go to the bowl, and sometimes not even sniff it before walking away. Othertimes she will sniff it and then walk away. It is very rare that she goes to the bowl and just eats. But the difference is that on mirataz she will eat whereas before it was a lot more "walk aways." I think if things were left up to her she'd eat maybe 1-1.2oz by scale weight of kibble a day which wouldn't even be 100 calories.

I don't think you're forcing her to eat. When my cat really doesn't want to eat she just won't. There could be a million reasons why your cat is fussy and the mirataz is taking some of the edge off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does she go several days without eating or is it just once or twice?
No, she's never gone even a full day without eating. I'd say not even for a half-day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There could be a million reasons why your cat is fussy and the mirataz is taking some of the edge off.
I'd say that's a great answer, and makes perfect sense.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is your cat nauseous? That's one reason why they turn their nose up at food. We have mirataz and have only used it once. It was the transdermal kind where you rub it into the inside of the ear. It worked great, but gave our kitty diarrhea, so we don't use it. We did find our that he's prone to nausea and gas, so we treat for that and he eats very well.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How would I know?!
You wouldn't really know, per se, but turning her nose up at food she normally eats, can often be a good indicator. You could ask your vet for some anti-nausea medication (usually they prescribe Cerenia) and try giving that to her on the days where she is being picky and see if she eats on her own. I'd give it a couple hours to kick in. And then if she doesn't you can give her the Mirataz.

I hate using Mirataz on my cat because he becomes this tiny monster that yells at me to feed him, but I still have to give him up to 7 different options before I find one that he is willing to eat. I do use it occasionally though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mirataz does have some anti-emetic properties, which could answer the question about nausea. So, while it helps a cat to eat, in some cats it also helps with nausea. It isn't 'forcing' a cat to eat. If they didn't want to eat, they wouldn't - period. It makes them feel like eating and usually because it makes them feel better.

I think that some cats, depending on their illness/disease and age, are just going to have good and bad days with eating. Adding toppers or whatever else you need to do to get them to eat, up to and including Mirataz, essentially becomes a way of life that has to be accepted as part of your cat's progression through their life and health.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mirataz does have some anti-emetic properties, which could answer the question about nausea. So, while it helps a cat to eat, in some cats it also helps with nausea. It isn't 'forcing' a cat to eat. If they didn't want to eat, they wouldn't - period. It makes them feel like eating and usually because it makes them feel better.

I think that some cats, depending on their illness/disease and age, are just going to have good and bad days with eating. Adding toppers or whatever else you need to do to get them to eat, up to and including Mirataz, essentially becomes a way of life that has to be accepted as part of your cat's progression through their life and health.
Incredibly well said. TRUTH.