I have a problem-cat. I don't think he is 'right' in the head.

l3mmmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a ginger tabby (male, neutered) and he is almost 3 years old.

He has always been a problem, he never rests, he spends everyday (since having him) pacing around the house, making high-pitched whining meows, knocking things over, scratching furniture, climbing walls, running from one room to the next in strange routines eg. every time he enters the bedroom he runs and jumps up on the TV stand, without fail, and has other routines for other rooms of the house.

The biggy - he keeps me and my OH awake every night by meowing/whining, jumping on top of our faux-leather headboard and starting to scratch (he's pretty much ruined it now), then we hit him gently with a pillow to shoo him away. This happens several times throughout the night, and he also sits on my pillow and meows throughout the night. The only thing that fixes this is put getting up in the middle of the night to put him out. But then I'm woken by crying from outside the window in the early hours of the morning. We live in a flat so this is not ideal as will disturb other residents. We can't get a cat-flap.

We have tried everything. If we lock him out of the bedroom he pulls the carpet up from underneath the door. So we started sliding cardboard under the door so he can't get at the carpet, then he learned how to pull the cardboard out.

Last night I'd had enough. I can't cope. Everyday and every night I just think - 'Why can't you be a NORMAL cat? What's wrong with your head?'

It's not just the night-time thing though, he never settles, he's on edge constantly, running around, being annoying, meowing. I don't know any other cat like this. Does he have a mental issue?

I don't know what to do other than think of rehoming him :(

I love him, and he loves me (follows me everywhere). But I can't go on like this.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you play with him, especially before bed? It sounds like he has excess energy. When and what do you feed him? Could he be hungry?

Also, has a vet checked him out? Do you think there is something physically wrong? Have you tried calming treats or sprays? Even medication from the vet would be an option before rehoming. You have lots of things to try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

l3mmmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you play with him, especially before bed? It sounds like he has excess energy. When and what do you feed him? Could he be hungry?

Also, has a vet checked him out? Do you think there is something physically wrong? Have you tried calming treats or sprays? Even medication from the vet would be an option before rehoming. You have lots of things to try.
I play with him for about 30 mins when I get home from work, I stop at 30 mins because he usually loses interest by then.

With regards to food, he has dry food down all of the time, and he also gets a pouch of wet cat food morning and night.

I've tried a Feliway plug-in in the past but it didn't seem to do anything, plus they're really expensive.

You mention calming treats - can you recommend any?

I'm considering taking him to the vets to get checked up.

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when do you get home?  I think when talkngpeanut says play before bed they mean really close to when your ready to hop into bed.  If a cat gets a chance to take a 2 hour cat nap that energy can come back really quick.

Also I'm not sure losing interest is the same as tiring out.  You might need to try a new wand toy or move the toy around differently.  Cats like irregular movement.  Normal prey does not always act the same, so changing up the movement keeps them interested.

I would also feed him right before bed.

Sounds like he does a lot of jumping on furniture, does he have cat tress, scratching posts, and shelves to keep him happy up on high places?

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my word, I can see how that would be really annoying. It does sound like he might have a mental issue going on but I don't really know what sorts of psycological issues cats can have. Have you tried Zylkene or something stronger? If you're desperate enough to consider rehoming him, I'd even vote for trying something like Prozac before you're forced to do that. 

Have you considered adopting another cat for him to play with? Maybe one about his own age who will play with him and maybe calm him down.

In older cats, hyperactivity could be from hyperthyroidism. Not sure how common it is in younger cats.

lindadmu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hate you are going though this . hate that the kitty is too.. i have to agree i would think about getting another cat..  with all of mine when i brought in a new baby the look on there face is oh crap mom brought home another one but after a while they decided oh its someone to play with .. all my kids get a long .

just a thought... good luck.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

I play with him for about 30 mins when I get home from work, I stop at 30 mins because he usually loses interest by then.

With regards to food, he has dry food down all of the time, and he also gets a pouch of wet cat food morning and night.

I've tried a Feliway plug-in in the past but it didn't seem to do anything, plus they're really expensive.

You mention calming treats - can you recommend any?

I'm considering taking him to the vets to get checked up.
The calming treats members often recommend are Composure treats made by Vetriscience..  Composure is also available in liquid form so you can mix it in his water or food, if he doesn't like the treats.    

Many members have also recommended Bach Rescue Remedy and Spirit Essences.  These are homeopathic remedies and there is controversy about their effectiveness, but if you want more info, here are their websites:

http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-pets-bach-flower/

http://www.spiritessences.com/

You might search the site for some of the treads on Bach's Rescue Remedy and the Spirit Essences.  Many people have had very good results with them.

There are also calming collars available but research these carefully as reviews of these products point out they are usually covered with a powder that gets everywhere and the collars themselves might be dangerous because they are not break-away.  They are also pheromone based, like Feliway.

It is definitely worth taking your boy to the vet for a check-up and to discuss medication for him, if you have reached the point that you are ready to give him up. Below is an article on some of the anti-anxiety medications used to calm cats.
[article="30323"]Anti Anxiety Medication For Cats  [/article]
Prozac has also been found to be helpful and is available as a transdermal gel, which is easier than trying to pill your cat everyday.

As others have suggested, getting another cat may be a solution.  In fact, it could be THE solution.  This boy sounds like he has a tremendous amount of energy that he needs to work off and a play mate might be exactly what he needs.

Last edited:

fairgem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to hear this, but I agree with the others I would get a new car for him to play with, my next door neighbours cat is just the same ( I fostered him as a kitten and she rehomed him) now he's been neutered, he comes round to my house and plays with my youngest and he loves it, then when he gets tired he goes back home :) I have the good behaviour pheromone collar, it does have powder on but that's just to keep the pheromone fresh whilst in the packet, it comes off as you put the collar on and I can tell you it 100% calms your cat, Iv used it in mine and now my neighbour does too. At night time I had the same problem with one of mine, so I also bought the rescue remedy, gave him a little bit in cat milk, slightly warmed just before bed... He slept all night long! No meowing, scratching up the bedroom carpet etc and now, I don't even put the rescue remedy in, just give him warm milk before bed and he sleeps just fine. Cat milk of course. Hope this helps. Good luck

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think there's anything wrong with your cat's head. He sounds like a bored cat to me. A second cat really helps. Two cats will keep each other company and chase and play with each other. A second cat really doesn't cost much more than one cat.

Try more playtime with the cat. A good 15 mintues or so play session right before bedtime helps. Try to get your cat tired. Fishing pole toys work great as are toys you can toss across the room or down the hall for the cat to chase after. Keep safe toys out for your cat to play with at night, like those large donut shaped toys with the ball that can be pushed around and around inside.