I Have A Maine Coon Who's Shedding, How Much Should I Brush Her And Should I Bathe Her? Recommenda

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My furbaby I rescued in November is going through her shedding phase and its different because although young she's gotten huge in the past months and she doesn't seem to shed unless I brush her. I have a crappy little cat brush and I try and brush her every few days but her under coat has a lot of little knots that she hates when I pull out. ( also kinda likes it too, she's a weird cat . )

What comb would you recommend for this breed and is bathing appropriate?

I know cats clean themselves and never had to bathe a cat besides dry baths for sick rescues I was taking care of. But I read that she might need a bath.

If so what do you bathe her with ? She likes water and she's extremely docile and even has fallen into my shower a few times without freaking out but.. Yeah. I never had a Maine coon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A picture of her face which her main holds the most fur tangles

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A comb with round metal teeth works best on a longhair cat. If you search "combs for cats" on amazon you'll find quite a few different ones. Look for one with the teeth spaced out (not a flea comb) and long enough to get all the way through the fur.

Once you have the mats out you should be grooming a Main Coon every day or every other day to keep the fur nice mat-free.

You can also go to a Petsmart or Petco and most likely find a comb there.

A bath is probably only necessary if you notice her fur is greasy or dirty. Don't give a bath before getting rid of the mats. Water just makes the mats pull tighter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A comb with round metal teeth works best on a longhair cat. If you search "combs for cats" on amazon you'll find quite a few different ones. Look for one with the teeth spaced out (not a flea comb) and long enough to get all the way through the fur.

Once you have the mats out you should be grooming a Main Coon every day or every other day to keep the fur nice mat-free.

A bath is probably only necessary if you notice her fur is greasy or dirty. Don't give a bath before getting rid of the mats. Water just makes the mats pull tighter.
Thanks! I thought it was weird they said to bathe her. Her mats aren't too bad I've been combing her but I just don't want to hurt her when I catch a bit of fur. Any recommendations?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The best thing to use is a metal comb, one with wide and fine teeth. The wide side is good for mats and fine is good for making sure you go them all and normal combing. I have also had some limited success with a undercoat rake, it gets undercoat out but doesn't really help too much with mats (teeth are too wide).

If you get a mat try to hold the fur as close to the skin as you can so you aren't pulling as much as you comb.

If the fur is greasy then you need to bath the cat, dirty/greasy fur mats more easily then clean fur. As said if you do end up needing to bathe the cat make sure all the mats are out first.