I Have A Little Suckler

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my little ones is a suckler. They are just over 3 months old.

Do I correct this behavior or let him grow out of it? It is pretty cute but sometimes he gets really intense. Mostly he does it at night when he comes for a cuddle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he likes to do it on you and you would rather he didn’t, then you can redirect him to a fuzzy piece of fabric like fleece, a wool blanket or a plush toy. Some kittens will outgrow the need and others do it lifelong.
Yes, only on me at cuddle time. I don't really mind right now because I've only had them a few weeks. If it gets excessive I will try that. It works for biting a little too hard. Thanks!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat 4 years old that suckles on my shoulder. He never grew out of it. As he's got older he only suckles for a couple of minutes now just before he goes to sleep. It's his bedtime routine and as long as he gets to suckle will sleep right through the night. But like susanm9006 susanm9006 said you could give him something else maybe a blanket or old t-shirt.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat 4 years old that suckles on my shoulder. He never grew out of it. As he's got older he only suckles for a couple of minutes now just before he goes to sleep. It's his bedtime routine and as long as he gets to suckle will sleep right through the night. But like susanm9006 susanm9006 said you could give him something else maybe a blanket or old t-shirt.
That is sweet. He was doing it again this morning and he had my skin all red. I gave him a little square of flannel but he kept pushing it out of the way and going back to my skin. I'll keep putting it under his mouth when he does it again, and hopefully, he will get the idea. Thank you!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. Just a little bit or is it all the time?
She sleeps above me,snores in my ear then crawls down,faces me, and puts her paws on me and chews my necklace or bracelet. I use baby blankets. She does not take care of her claws. Coco was born outside by a stray,taken away at 5 weeks old,showed back up a year old rubbing against my porch window. Her mom was very excited to show her to me then very sad when Coco disappeared.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe. That is quite a story. Glad she has you as her mama. I did ok with the first nail clipping and the vet did them again at their appointment earlier this week. I want to get them used to it. The kneading along with the suckling can get a tad painful but the small piece of cloth seems to be working if I just keep putting it in front of him. He tends to do it after his evening meal.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe. That is quite a story. Glad she has you as her mama. I did ok with the first nail clipping and the vet did them again at their appointment earlier this week. I want to get them used to it. The kneading along with the suckling can get a tad painful but the small piece of cloth seems to be working if I just keep putting it in front of him. He tends to do it after his evening meal.
Everytime I try to trim her nails,she licks my fingers so the vet assistant does it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with a suckler and currently have one. I don't mind. One never grew out of it. She suckled ear lobes until the day she died at age 21. Boone is only a year old so we'll see what happens in the future. I kind of hope he never outgrows it though.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides a blanket you can always try a knitted wool scarf. I fostered 3 kittens. 1 got extra bottle time and doesn’t suckle. Their sister used to but seems to have grown out of it in her second year. The third (my guy Jackie) still suckles every day. I think bottle babies develop the habitbecause they miss the comfort of nursing off of mom.

I have a binkie (blanket) nurser that suckles/nurses on his binkie every evening on me & his other binkie in his bed next to my pillows at bed time. Jackie likes me to run my nails over his neck & shoulders or give him very light pets as he nurses. I think it is a comfort thing.

D6AC7DCD-34C3-4422-9897-2EB37A3DA12C.jpeg

85E147C7-1346-41F3-BB73-90AE1CED4C99.jpeg

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with a suckler and currently have one. I don't mind. One never grew out of it. She suckled ear lobes until the day she died at age 21. Boone is only a year old so we'll see what happens in the future. I kind of hope he never outgrows it though.
So cute. I might have to get a slightly larger piece of material for this little guy!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides a blanket you can always try a knitted wool scarf. I fostered 3 kittens. 1 got extra bottle time and doesn’t suckle. Their sister used to but seems to have grown out of it in her second year. The third (my guy Jackie) still suckles every day. I think bottle babies develop the habitbecause they miss the comfort of nursing off of mom.

I have a binkie (blanket) nurser that suckles/nurses on his binkie every evening on me & his other binkie in his bed next to my pillows at bed time. Jackie likes me to run my nails over his neck & shoulders or give him very light pets as he nurses. I think it is a comfort thing.

View attachment 392529

View attachment 392528
Awe, precious little ones. The small square of flannel has become his "suckie" but I think I'll do a blanket. He's still doing it but I really don't mind too much. His sister doesn't do that at all. She touches my face with her paws and licks my nose. It's fun watching their individual personalities develop.

Last edited: