I have a fear of dogs that I can not overcome...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe while you are playing with a gentle dog at the shelter you will not only overcome your fear but find your perfect match for a pet.  I believe dogs also pick their owners the way cats do.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is the adult dogs that make me so nervous.  I'm ok around a puppy for the most part and Miagi's Mommy makes a good point, a puppy won't be a puppy forever. 
I have to see if I can get used to being around an adult dog without feeling fear.  Other good points were brought up too, I have cats, both inside and out and I can't just bring any dog here to test the theory. 

I live is a very rural area so we don't have a lot of shelters but there is one that I have helped with in the past.  I didn't actually deal with the dogs but I helped with grants and fundraising so I'm sure they would be willing to work with me.

Thank you all for the advice!  I have decided to try and work on my fear head on.  I'm going to ask the shelter to let me have some contact with a very gentle dog.  I will do this in small steps.  I think this will give me the greatest shot a becoming comfortable around them.  If after a while I still can't get over the fear my husband said he will not push me anymore "for now" but he's glad that I'm making the effort with work on it.  So we shall see!

I'll let you know how I do :)
:clap: I'm so glad you're going to try to work on this. Do tell us how it turns out.

I second going to the pscyhiatrist -- there are phobia psychiatrists that specialize in things like this, and I'm sure they get dog clients all the time. Needing help for a mental problem isn't silly and no one should belittle you for it.

As for the shelter dog, I would recommend asking for an older Lab or Golden Retriever type, if they have one. I say a lab because they are generally very sweet dogs, and I say older because they can be hyper and jumpy when they're young. :lol3: My family has a lab, and he is the most gentle dog I've ever seen. He lets our baby toddler relatives crawl all over him -- even grab his ears and shake his head -- and all he does is wag his tail and lick them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

7irishkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update to this years old thread :)  

I haven't been on here much because life is super duper busy these days but I did want to update this.
I took the advice of binkyhoo and I eventually volunteered at a shelter.  It took me a year to just get up the courage to volunteer and even then they were very understanding of my fear and wanted to help me.  I started out with just helping with paperwork and just being around the dogs but no contact.  Eventually I found the courage to take one of the adult dogs for a walk.  It was hard at first and I know the dogs sensed it but never showed me anything other than tail wags and licks.  After about 4 months I was over my fear and I was able to love these animals I had been so afraid of.  Fast forward another 6 months and we adopted our very first dog from the same shelter.  Did I get a small breed or the gentle lab that everyone talks about?  Nope, I have made friends with Pitt Bull named Chase and he became our new family member.  Chase has changed me more that I could ever have known.  He has opened my world up completely.  I now advocate for these misunderstood babies.  Chase not only gets along completely with my 8 year old son, he absolutely loves cats!  We are fostering two 3 month old kittens and he has taken it upon himself to raise them haha :D 
I'm so happy that I stepped out of my comfort zone and took this huge leap because it has resulted in a wonderful love.  Thank you to everyone who commented and supported me. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is such a great update.  I am so glad you found your dog and a Pit at that.  So many of these dogs never get a chance because people just won't give them a chance.  I know his training methods are controversial but one thing about Cesar Milan that I think everyone can agree is great is his advocacy for this breed.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

7irishkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Denice it was like it was meant to be.  I didn't just rescue him, he rescued me.  He had been at the shelter quite some time and was overlooked time and time again because of his breed.  No one ever stopped to learn his personality.  He was as gentle as a lamb.  The Pit breed needs so much help.  I'm doing all I can :)  They are not the monsters that they are thought to be. 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just picked up on this thread and the outcome has made me so very happy. Thanks for sharing your story --- sounds like you adopted the perfect dog for you and your family.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's a great story.

My sister works with dogs, she always says that pit bulls and staffies are the best. I think they are largely misunderstood and naturally very loyal and gentle. The only reason they turn nasty is because some people want a weapon dog and will torment their pet until he is vicious.

Glad to hear you two found each other.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Update to this years old thread :)  

I haven't been on here much because life is super duper busy these days but I did want to update this.
I took the advice of binkyhoo and I eventually volunteered at a shelter.  It took me a year to just get up the courage to volunteer and even then they were very understanding of my fear and wanted to help me.  I started out with just helping with paperwork and just being around the dogs but no contact.  Eventually I found the courage to take one of the adult dogs for a walk.  It was hard at first and I know the dogs sensed it but never showed me anything other than tail wags and licks.  After about 4 months I was over my fear and I was able to love these animals I had been so afraid of.  Fast forward another 6 months and we adopted our very first dog from the same shelter.  Did I get a small breed or the gentle lab that everyone talks about?  Nope, I have made friends with Pitt Bull named Chase and he became our new family member.  Chase has changed me more that I could ever have known.  He has opened my world up completely.  I now advocate for these misunderstood babies.  Chase not only gets along completely with my 8 year old son, he absolutely loves cats!  We are fostering two 3 month old kittens and he has taken it upon himself to raise them haha :D 
I'm so happy that I stepped out of my comfort zone and took this huge leap because it has resulted in a wonderful love.  Thank you to everyone who commented and supported me. 
Wow, being a huge dog lover myself ( 3 dogs in our family )  this update brought tears to my eyes .. What a great story . Thank you so much for sharing ..  Thank you for rescuing Chase and giving him a wonderful new life .. Congrats to you as well , I am sure it could not have been easy getting over your fear ..