I have a Beautiful rescue that i would love to identify..

4jennifersmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

He has BIG blue eyes , short hair with light colored body . I would call him cream color with dark gray and black rings on tail and feet.

he has 4 stripes total on his face . two on each side of eyes.

Does anyone have any guess what breed I have ? He is a rescue that I have adopted yesterday . He is so loveable and sweet.

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous cat with unusual colour and marking, but he is of no identifiable breed. Like 99% of cats in the world, he is what we call a Domestic Shorthair. His colour (I think) is called muted or dilute tabby, where the original tabby markings are very faint and the coat looks pale grey or cream, just with the rings showing on the head and extremities. But there are experts on colour here who will correct me, I am sure! He is lovely.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His color is seal lynx point. Or seal tabby point if you're outside US. Domestic Shorthair.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His color is seal lynx point. Or seal tabby point if you're outside US. Domestic Shorthair.
Ie, point genes are not that unusual among domestic. So now and then we do get domestics, "moggies" who are pointed.

So it is not at all necessary to have siamese or some other "noble" breed as parents...

They were for sure, but perhaps 20 generations ago...  And the point gene did floated down through the river of life...   And once two such genes do meet each other - voilá, we got a pointed kitten... typically one or two in a litter of several, the others with totally different looks.

The point gene, although recessive one by one, once doubled in an individual, is quite strong. THAT individual gets looks of a pointed cat, not seldom some sort of  old type siamese. But he isnt no siamese for it, he is still a domestic, like its siblings and its parents.

In some populations they may be quite common.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our first cat, a female named Woodstock who looked like your cat, we called her a lynxpoint siamese. She was also a rescue. We had her for 19 years, 6 months and 6 days. I hope your cat lives a very long, healthy and happy life like our cat did.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Nightwing, he looks just like my Aerys, who I think is a lynxpoint siamese. Which is a fancy name for a cross between a tabby and a siamese.  At the vet, they ooh and ahh over how handsome he is.

Last edited:

casemarten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to have a cat that looked *just* like this...I really wonder sometimes! We had to turn ours over to the Humane Society due to aggression problems.

However, he was born at our house...parents were father: silver mackerel tabby (true silver, not grey or brown) and mother: solid grey.  The mother was rescued from my husband's work and HER mother was Siamese.  The litter mates were 1 female that looked very similar but without stripes (just points), and 1 solid grey female.  We always called ours just a "pointed tabby" since we knew the Siamese ancestry was a few generations back.

I will also say - nuttiest cat I have ever owned.  At adolescence he started acting essentially feral even though he had been raised in the house.  We had him neutered and the aggression got WORSE.  Ultimately, he had to go :( He sure was handsome though.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 a lynxpoint siamese. Which is a fancy name for a cross between a tabby and a siamese. 
No it's not, lynx point is a pattern which is recognized in several breeds, like Siamese. Tabby is also just a pattern, not a breed. 

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 a lynxpoint siamese. Which is a fancy name for a cross between a tabby and a siamese. 
No it's not, lynx point is a pattern which is recognized in several breeds, like Siamese. Tabby is also just a pattern, not a breed. 
I guess I just meant that's where the pattern/coloring originally came from-- I saw this on life-with-siamese-cats.com:

Lynx Siamese cats came about from the accidental mating of a purebred Seal Point with a tabby. A kitten from this mating was then crossed with another purebred Seal Point, resulting in the first Seal Tabby Point.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess I just meant that's where the pattern/coloring originally came from-- I saw this on life-with-siamese-cats.com:

Lynx Siamese cats came about from the accidental mating of a purebred Seal Point with a tabby. A kitten from this mating was then crossed with another purebred Seal Point, resulting in the first Seal Tabby Point.
yeah, here with tabby they mean a domestic with tabby pattern.

But such an unclear meaning may get many to think tabby is some sort of breed.

Btw, interesting example of how they can breed in new traits into a breed!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the original attempts to breed tabby-point Siamese was to cross with an Abyssinian and is the origins of the Ocicat.