I have 13 cats. Need advice on possible diet changes. Thoughts on 4Health?

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 13 formerly stray/dumped cats who are all now tamed and vaccinated. They range in age from 2 years to 13 years. They are mainly outside cats, but they all sleep in my garage at night. I am concerned that some of them have become a little overweight in their senior years, and I need advice on perhaps changing the diet.

About 4 years ago, in searching cat forums such as this one, I realized that the blue Purina Cat Chow that I had free fed for years was basically junk food. I started feeding Friskies Pate morning and night and in addition to my kitties getting more moisture, they loved the wet and it became easier to lure them inside for bedtime. In the essence of cost, I still feed dry food, but have switched to the Tractor Supply 4Health All Stages dry brand. I try not to free feed with unlimited dry, but to leave some in the bowls inside to supplement the wet. I unfortunately cannot afford to feed wet food exclusively.

Am just curious if the 4Health All Stages is still acceptable these days? Is there something that's come out more recently that I should look at? Store brands that are acceptable in my situation? I have searched the forum, but really didn't find too many threads from recent months. I have seen an Indoor 4Health dry at the store and am wondering if I should look at that. Any thoughts??

I do realize that there are healthier brands. But please understand that I already spend a fortune on cat litter and vaccines, not to mention dental, flea medication, worm medication, etc. I'm trying to do the best I can on food, but I can't afford the Dr. Elsey's dry or the $1.80/can premium wet food.

Thank you very much!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
4Health is a decent low-cost cat food. If it's what you can afford then I would just stick with it. The Friskies classic line has a few good options for wet and they usually have good sales on it somewhere.

If you are looking for a better option at a slightly higher price point, do you have a Kahoots pet store in your area?

They have a $1.29 for a 5.5oz can, Café de Cat Chicken & Tuna, that has a pretty good ingredient list. They also have a 15lb bag of dry for $25, Farmer's Market Blend, which other than a few things is a very decent ingredient list with a good amount of protein. Most cat food is a game of give and take so sometimes you have to accept something in order to get something.

You could also look for 12oz cans since you are feeding so many cats. Chewys house brand https://www.chewy.com/american-journey-pate-chicken-recipe/dp/160935 and even the 12oz cans of blue buffalo end up being within a penny or two of 4Health per ounce when bought in bigger cans (depending on sale price).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I do not have Kahoots pet store, but I do order my cat litter and toys and sometime Friskies wet from Chewy, so I can check out their house brand. I have not tested that yet, and I bet they give samples upon request... I'll have to look into that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kahoots is only in CA. Too bad, they look awesome.

If you stick with 4Health, don't get the Indoor version. It's higher in carbs and cats gain more weight with carbs. Try bumping up the amount of canned food, and limiting the dry food. I feed my cats canned Friskies pates almost exclusively, and they've all gotten to a good weight since I switched to all canned food.

You could also try canned 4Health. It's not a whole lot more than Friskies. Although my cats don't like it as much :/.

American Journey canned is pretty good, and my cats love it, but it's more than twice the price of Friskies, so that may not be affordable for a full switch.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kahoots is only in CA. Too bad, they look awesome.
That would explain why I don't hear about it here. Did not realize it was that small geographically, there is one just a few miles away and my cats like the wet foods. I'll have to remember it's limited area, thanks!

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two cents is my two eat Friskie s pate style and also like the Tractor Supply brand of wet pate style too. It comes in a 5 ounce can for 50cents and a 22 ounce can for $ 1.39. The big can isn't practical for me but might work out well for you.