I hate Yellow Flies

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two days ago I got bit by one yellow flie . Today while cleaning some catlitter boxes outsite ( I clean every 2 days a couple , so it is not to much at one time ) , 2 of those darn yellow flies had to bite me
. Gosh I hate those yellow flies . And them flies are nasty too , they follow you where you go . So now I am scratching and scratching and scratching and itching and itching and itching and scratching and ...... grrrrrr and did I mention I hate those yellow flies .

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, those are awful here in Georgia! Also those old sand gnats! Those things hurt so bad. I dread them every year! You know its bad when a city names their minor league baseball team after a bug! The Savannah Sandgnats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by malynn

Yeah, those are awful here in Georgia! Also those old sand gnats! Those things hurt so bad. I dread them every year! You know its bad when a city names their minor league baseball team after a bug! The Savannah Sandgnats!
You are to funny
I was in a need of a good laugh , thanks

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a biological control method for flies. I have to because of the horses. I order fly parasites. Every month I am shipped these insect larvae, I let them hatch on top of my water heater, once I see about 23 adults at the top of the bag, I sprinkle the larvae around the yard and in the house. The fly parasites eat the fly eggs to stop the cycle. Works quite well and the predators are so small you never notice them and they only live for 3 weeks in their life cycle.

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AMEN! I hate those yellow flies. Those things have a painful bite and those sand gnats. That's those little itty bitty bugs with teeth the size of a Great White Shark. At least that's what it feels like when they bite you. Hedi have you got any Cortizone 10 cream? That will help with that awful itching.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is better now thank you Blondie and yes I think I got that . My inner thighs (sp) is still swollen
, but it is not hurting or itching right now , thank God .

Hissy , do you have a link on line for that biological control ? I am interest

I am sure they try to get my dogs too if they can
. I did catch one yellow flie the other day in the cat enclosure and have no clue how it got in there
I just hope it is dead by now and will not get one of my baby's
. I am sure it has to be hard on cats .

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel stupid for asking, but what are yellow flies? I tried a google search but came up with fishing flies, which I am sure are not the ones biting you

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure that I know what they are either. I have heard of horse flies, but not yellow....

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I feel stupid for asking, but what are yellow flies? I tried a google search but came up with fishing flies, which I am sure are not the ones biting you
They are about the size of a flie , but they sting or do you say bite like he** . It is 3 times worse then a mosquito bite . My inner thighs is now like 4 inch ( round ) red and swollen .

I forgot to say that they look yellow , hence their name .

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I HATE horseflies! Whenever I go swimming, they always bite me! Are they the same thing as yellow flies?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I HATE horseflies! Whenever I go swimming, they always bite me! Are they the same thing as yellow flies?
Me too! They hurt! I don't know if they are the same though. I have never heard of a sand gnat either. At the beach theres the things called no-see-ums. I have never seen one but they bite me and the bites swell like mosquito bites.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't you hate it when they seem to go for your eyes???? (gnats/sandflies/whatever LOL) Its like they have a fascination for eyeballs!
(well, mine anyway)

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hate them too . The horseflies are the same color like the normal flies but just bigger I think . Gosh they are nasty too .

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Me too! They hurt! I don't know if they are the same though. I have never heard of a sand gnat either. At the beach theres the things called no-see-ums. I have never seen one but they bite me and the bites swell like mosquito bites.
Tanya you have been bitten by a sand gnat AKA No-see-ums. Yeah they hurt.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ack! Well I am glad you found a pic of them, I always get bit by them when walking on the beach in the evenings, and I until today I didn't know what the little things looked like