I Hate Winter And I Hate Snow.....

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I love winter and I love snow!

I don't drive and I work from home, so heavy snow doesn't really affect me that badly.

We know we're going to get snowed in for a week at a time in January and February. We just have to make sure we have plenty of fuel for the stoves and a shed full of cat food. As long as you're prepared and wrapped up nice and warm you'll be OK. The area I live in is pretty remote, so you have to plan ahead even in the warmer months.

Winter is nice because there is no one else around but me and I get to see lots more wildlife on my walks.

And it's so pretty!

Snow18.jpg
Deer17.jpg
Ski2.jpg
Ski4.jpg

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't drive and I work from home, so heavy snow doesn't really affect me that badly.

We know we're going to get snowed in for a week at a time in January and February. We just have to make sure we have plenty of fuel for the stoves and a shed full of cat food. As long as you're prepared and wrapped up nice and warm you'll be OK. The area I live in is pretty remote, so you have to plan ahead even in the warmer months.

Winter is nice because there is no one else around but me and I get to see lots more wildlife on my walks.

And it's so pretty!

View attachment 262548 View attachment 262550 View attachment 262551 View attachment 262552
You're in the same boat as we are, when we know the worst snow season is nearing we watch the weather closely and make sure we have everything we and ours need available. We go overboard to be cautious, but then we don't have to buy much until about June.
Very nice pictures, Norachan Norachan . It's beautiful where you're at!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And it's so pretty!

View attachment 262548 View attachment 262550 View attachment 262551 View attachment 262552
What a walk you have! Very nice.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm one of those annoying people that loves snow. I also love this metaphor for life.

I am one of those even more annoying people who has despised cold weather and snow my entire life. Even when I was a kid I would have preferred to go to school than have a snow day. Yes- really.

I moved to south Florida 16 years ago. I will never EVER live anywhere that gets snow again. I do not find joy in snow and cannot fathom how anyone could. My joy comes from these facts:

1. Not only will it not snow here, I don't own a winter coat.
2. I don't own a snow shovel or a snow blower.
3. I have no need for snow tires, gloves, hats or winter boots.
4. The warmest thing I will wear this winter will be a hoodie and that will only be used be a few days out of the year and I won't need it past noon because it will warm up enough that I can take it off.
5. I might have to turn the heat in the house on once or twice in the entire season. Hi low power bills!! :wave3:
6. I don't have to scrape ice off my car windows or run outside to warm the car up every time I want to go somewhere.
7. I don't have to worry about the pipes freezing
8. My driveway will never get blocked in because a snowplow just went by and buried it
9. I can drive without having to worry about black ice on the roads (Oh man this one one of the things I hated most).
10. No more having to dig the car out because it snowed during the night or during the day while I was at work.

Been there, done that and hated it all. I grew up in NY and then lived in CO.We moved from Colorado to Florida in October 2002. Words cannot express the joy I felt leaving the snow shovel behind in the garage knowing that I would NEVER have to replace it. :yess:

The last time it snowed here (so I have been told) is back in 1973. The few flakes we got melted before they hit the ground. That thought alone gives me joy.

I won't lie. Our summers are BRUTAL. They are hot and humid. Do I care? Nope. Why? I go from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned office. Even if I am outside I still really don't complain because I know that I just need to be patient and my payoff will come. It will arrive in the form of mild snow and ice free "winters".

florida-salt-in-winter-meme.jpg

I like our way better. :hyper:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have some friends that were in your area during the famous "Blizzard of '78" and it sounded fun, if you were a pioneer or under the age of 5.
I guess I classify as a pioneer! ;) I was with one of my co-workers and we decided to take a bus home instead of the "L" (subway). However, the bus got stuck in the snow and we ended up walking the rest of the way home. I was very young and energetic so didn't mind. :biggrin:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Very nice pictures, Norachan Norachan . It's beautiful where you're at!
What a walk you have! Very nice.
Thank you! Yes, it is very photogenic around here when it snows.

Kat0121 Kat0121 I understand what you're saying. I like the summer too and we get very hot summers here. Very hot and very wet, because I live in the monsoon belt. But the good things about winter are;

1. All those mosquitoes and flies and wasps I spent the summer avoiding are gone.

2. Shoveling snow every morning is not only great exercise, it warms you up too.

3. I spend a lot on heating in the winter, but it's never so hot that I need AC in the summer. I can just open all the windows and enjoy that mountain breeze. I'm sure the heater and AC costs equal out.

4. I love winter clothes! Big thick sweaters, long fluffy socks, giant hooded sweat shirts, my long boots with the thermal lining, all those hats and scarves and gloves in matching colours are so comfortable. I love it when they get all the winter woollies in the shops and I can go around squeezing the sweaters.

5. Hot spicy chai with ginger and honey.

6. Hot chocolate.

7. Getting all warm in a hot bath and then getting into your winter PJ's and snuggling up on the couch with the cats is just divine.

8. I can turn the kotatsu on again! If you don't know, a kotatsu is a table with a heater underneath and a blanket that fits over the top. It's like having a giant heated sleeping bag to sit in.

(Oh look! They do covers with cats and snowflake designs!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I despise snow with a passion. I have to go to work every day and we don't get snow days. As long as the Governor doesn't close the roads, our offices stay open. Being stalled in traffic for hours on end is no fun; I don't care who you are, it's ridiculous.

This is our last winter of having to go to work in the snow. We are looking forward to waking up to snow and smiling because we won't have to go out if we don't want to.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living here inWNY, snow is no big deal. 6 inches on the road?, we shrug our shoulders and go on about our business. Several years ago, I had to go into work during our Christmas- New Year shutdown. There were no windows in the building, and I got a little concerned when the guy on the radio was telling about all the road closures. I finished my repair job, and when I went to leave, I had to force the door open. The snow was waist deep and still falling. I had to get our front-end loader and dig my truck out of a snow drift, and then plow my way to the street. By the time I drove the 30 miles home, it took me almost 5 hours. By the time the snow stopped, we had gotten almost 7 feet
I’m sur you remember the big Bury of Buffalo back in 1977 and 1978?

We got buried in Cleavage-town, too.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like snow as long as it doesn't get too out of hand and it doesn't have periods of ice mixed in, nothing good comes of sleet. I don't like the brutal cold though. If it doesn't go below 20F I am good.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Reading all the posts about snow make me glad I live in Atlanta. I grew up 2 hours south of Chicago so I know what real winter is. And I do not miss snow one bit. I feel for all of you. I have seen pictures on the news about the NE. It looks serious. I hope everyone is safe.

There have been a couple time when we got snow., only 6 inches or so but it shut down the whole city for days. Northerners laugh but we do not have many plows and a lot of hills, so a few inches is bad A couple years ago snow came in around noon. People were taking 5 or 6 hours to go less than 10 miles. Schoolbuses had to turn around and go back to school. The expressways were shut down due to accidents. It was bad.

Now if there is even a hint of snow everyone just stays home - no need to call in,it is just expected. As Winchester said "I hate snow and I hate cold", which is why I live in the south.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we lived in Atlanta, our neighbors next door were the only ones in the neighborhood with a snow shovel. They had recently moved from Wauconda, Illinois, to Atlanta. I never laugh at Atlanta's misery. I remember those hills.

I even forgot what snow looked like. My three-year-old asked me one day what that stuff outside the window was, and I didn't know. It looked like someone's fireplace was spilling ashes.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't even make it to winter and I'm already complaining.

Rick gets off work at 3:15. He was on his way down to pick me up and then we were going home. I get off at 4:00. At 4:30 he called me to say that he was stuck on the hill in traffic. It was ugly. He finally got here at 5:15, only because he was able to reach a side road and get to my building that way.

So we head for home. Only to find out that both the north and south lanes of our major highway were completely closed. Trailer trucks caught halfway up hills, car accidents. Again, trying a back way home. We took a back road, but decided it wasn't too great to try to go over the mountain and tried the main road again.

Both lanes still closed. And there we sat. And sat. The snow was falling steadily and then it started to sleet. Lovely.

We finally made it to our turn-off and hit our back road; the only reason we made it to our road is because people got tired of waiting on the highway and turned out our road, too. We had just enough room behind a truck to hit our road and go home. Made it up the hill with no trouble. And got stuck in the driveway. At that point, we looked at each other and said, "Walk!" We gathered our gear, walked up the driveway, and opened the door to five furious cats whose suppers were very late. And a poor Beast who was crossing her hind legs because she had to pee that badly. It was 7:00. Who knew that it would take that long to drive 7.5 miles?

We ended up with about 11 inches of snow. Would have been more, but it had changed over to sleet and freezing rain. Then it changed back over to snow during the night.

I'm at work. Rick and I got up, shoveled the car out, and came on in. It's not even winter and I'm sick of winter.
Take a vacation down south. Beautiful day for a walk!
20181117_122537.jpg

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I first moved out to the fringes of the city we had record snowfall that winter. My first winter we got 3 feet of snow. I was ill prepared at the time and was still driving a sedan. Took me three hours to dig my car out to go to work. I've since upgraded to an SUV with four wheel drive.

We haven't got any measurable snow yet, but in just waiting for that other shoe to drop.
I think I would be ok with snow as long as it wasn't really cold. Don't mind the snow, hate the cold.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was working I hated winter. My 30 mile drive to work could take a couple of hours on snowy days, which we have in abundance here in Minnesota. But now that I am retired, I love the quiet and peace that the winter months bring. While I do need to run the snowblower some time every day, it still take less time than mowing and other than moving snow there isn’t a darn thing I need to do.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Took me three hours to dig my car out to go to work. I've since upgraded to an SUV with four wheel drive.
You definitely need 4-wheel drive if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow. I can also relate to driving to and from work in bad weather. I think that's probably the hardest part of winter.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sur you remember the big Bury of Buffalo back in 1977 and 1978?

We got buried in Cleavage-town, too.
During the Blizzard of '77, my FIL and two BILs were stuck at our 1 BR apartment, while my wife was stuck at work. They couldn't get back home for 3 days, she couldn't get home for 4, because nobody could get in to replace her and her co-workers. When we finally got out to her parents' place the snow was drifted so high, when standing on the crest, we could look down into the second-floor windows.