I HATE MICE! Driving my kitty crazy

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate mice. Over 30 years I’ve probably dealt with maybe 5 or 7 mice getting into my house. Not a terrible amount but I HATE them. We seal things, keep a clean home, but those little buggers are determined!

My poor Smudge has been sitting on the fridge about losing his mind, staring at the ceiling. Had hubby go up in the attic and he did see some droppings 😝 so we set traps. My Cats can’t get into the attic. I hope we catch it/them soon. I detest the thought of mice being in here. They are so gross.

If it ever stops raining hubby will go up on the roof and see if he can figure out how it got in. I know it’s a long shot but anybody have any surefire ways for keeping mice out? I think knowing it’s up there but not being able to get in the attic is making Smudge insane. (And the attic is unfinished and yucky insulation so no I can’t let him go up there).

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you or your husband see where they are getting in, and block it off? You've probably thought of that, only other thing I could think of was continue with the traps, others might be cleverer than me and be able to think of other solutions :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you or your husband see where they are getting in, and block it off? You've probably thought of that, only other thing I could think of was continue with the traps, others might be cleverer than me and be able to think of other solutions :catrub:
Yes thank you, after the rain stops he’ll go up on the roof and look for an access point. But those little buggers can squeeze in the tiniest spaces Thank you for listening to me vent, though, it helps!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They are a nuisance. I had them years ago when I had a door to the outside in my basement and then this fall. I was so perplexed how they were getting into the basement and about my third walk around outdoor discovered they were slipping in through the tiniest crack where the outdoor faucet pipe came in. Steel wool and caulk around the faucet and none since.

If yours are in the attic they are likely coming in either through an uncovered vent or damaged wood around your soffit or facia. I would get a roofing contracter to go over it all thoroughly and repair anything that might be letting them in. Then you set traps in the attic to catch any up there.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are a nuisance. I had them years ago when I had a door to the outside in my basement and then this fall. I was so perplexed how they were getting into the basement and about my third walk around outdoor discovered they were slipping in through the tiniest crack where the outdoor faucet pipe came in. Steel wool and caulk around the faucet and none since.

If yours are in the attic they are likely coming in either through an uncovered vent or damaged wood around your soffit or facia. I would get a roofing contracter to go over it all thoroughly and repair anything that might be letting them in. Then you set traps in the attic to catch any up there.
Thank you! I’m glad you got yours to stop visiting!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting a cat got rid of my mouse problems. Maybe get one with a stronger prey drive if yours aren't doing the job.
That doesn’t work for all cats. When the mice started squeezing in by my basement door it was because they found a fab food source - Worlds Best Cat Litter, which is a corn product. And even though there were probably dozens of mice visiting her litter box, and a family taking up residence in the same room as it, my cat at the time totally ignored the goings on. She was an older cat though.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That doesn’t work for all cats. When the mice started squeezing in by my basement door it was because they found a fab food source - Worlds Best Cat Litter, which is a corn product. And even though there were probably dozens of mice visiting her litter box, and a family taking up residence in the same room as it, my cat at the time totally ignored the goings on. She was an older cat though.
My old cat when she was young was relentless in persuing a mouse, she actualy ripped the pink insulation down from the ceiling ing the basement to reach them. To be fair it was just held up with plastic but still pretty remarkable for a cat to be that relentless. For the first week after I got her I would find decapitated mouse corpses in my room, shoes, bed etc. We had even had an exterminater before getting the cat and they couldn't get rid of the mice meanwhile this little 7lb cat got rid of them in a week.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. those little pests can fit through a space about the diameter of a pencil, or a dime, depending on age and subspecies.
When I had a few come in this fall they were so tiny they were able to eat the bait without setting off the mouse traps. I couldn’t believe anything could fit through the tiny hole I found but they did. I had to buy more sensitive mousetraps to catch the last of them. It’s been a couple months and no more caught but the traps stay out anyway.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! I’ll have to check out the Jawz trap. I don’t know if we’ve caught him/them yet. The only way into the attic is through an access panel that my husband takes down for me. He had a looonnngg day and fell asleep after dinner (he usually works 5 am - 4 or 5 pm. So I’ll ask him to check tomorrow. Smudge seems calmer, but still somewhat interested. He’s not as frantic as he was the other day. Hubby will go up on the roof tomorrow to get a better look. He’s a contractor so thankfully he’ll be able to get up there safely and look around. We just ran out of daylight today.
Not the worst thing we’ve ever had. When we first moved in we had a squirrel in the basement. And no money to speak of. Fortunately the man I called told me I could buy my own trap for about $30 and he talked me through how to catch it. I caught him I. Just one day, thank goodness. I’m not a huge fan of critters in my house! Unless they’re kitties 🐱
IMG_3379.jpeg

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yikes I’ve never even heard of roof rats!! My word that sounds awful. Kinda afraid to Google it. But seriously I’ve never even heard anyone I know even mention roof rats. I wonder if they’re not a thing around here.
Anyhow, droppings look exactly like field mice droppings

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yucko! 😝 I’m not a fan. 😊
I rather like them, although the only rodents I want in my home come from breeders or pet stores.

Something else to consider...while your spouse is in the attic, have him check any wiring on the floor of the attic. I had a cat YEARS ago who started staring at a spot on the wall, behind a piece of furniture. We could not figure out why. One day, I touched the spot, and it was noticeably warm. I called in an electrician, who found an arc. My cat (THANK YOU, PRIMUS!) had saved us from a house fire!

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rather like them, although the only rodents I want in my home come from breeders or pet stores.

Something else to consider...while your spouse is in the attic, have him check any wiring on the floor of the attic. I had a cat YEARS ago who started staring at a spot on the wall, behind a piece of furniture. We could not figure out why. One day, I touched the spot, and it was noticeably warm. I called in an electrician, who found an arc. My cat (THANK YOU, PRIMUS!) had saved us from a house fire!
Good idea! Thank you!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In cracks around the foundation, some foaming seal works great. My landlord came by to put some when we were having wasps sneeking in. They had made a nest under our porch and would come out the "wrong way" into our home. One or two a day. I'd that stopped them, surely it can stop mice.