I got inventive and kitty approves! :)

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to put one of my kitties in my room for a while and I was worried about the litterbox smelling up the room and also having kitty litter tracked everywhere. Sooo...I had to get a little inventive and since sewing is pretty much the only thing I'm good at, then, naturally, it was incorporated as well.

The end result:

I took a small litterbox and placed it inside of a large plastic tub, made a "carpet" out of sherpa to knock any litter off her paws, and then made a cutesy elastic cover for the container to keep in the smell, but also to "beautify" the container, lol.

I was pretty pleased with it, but wasn't sure how Lulu, my kitty, would feel about it....

Well, tonight I found out...

Not only does she LOOOVVVVEEEE the litterbox, but she also decided that the "lid" makes a kick-ass bed too!

I just had to share, lol!

OFF-TOPIC: I found the most AWESOME litter! It's called Arm and Hammer Essentials. I didn't want the normal litter I use because I didn't want my rooms' smell to remind me of a litter box, so I decided to try this stuff instead. Lemme tell ya...it smells like clean laundry!
I'm not kidding! I walk into my room and it makes me think there's a pile of clean laundry sitting there instead of a poop-container!
I highly recommend it!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the pics. She looks quite pleased with herself. And the box is very clever! Well done!

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is the coolest thing I have ever seen! When I looked at the pictures, at first I thought your cat was peeing in the hole, like using it as a toilet!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful spoiled cat. I love the litter box. You should make them and try to sell them in pet stores or somewhere. If your cat loves it, so would others.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's brilliant!!! Cute and clever!!! Your kitties are lucky to have a creative mama. I can't even thread a needle. I would buy that if it were on the market!!!

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I so need some of those...how about a how-to guide? I could make one for each cat so they can also use them as hangout locations...or swap out the cover for the lid that came with the box (with airholes poked in it) for extra kitty carriers if everyone needs to go to the vet at once...and it'd give Ginger more things to climb on (everyone, really, but Ginger is the ultimate climber cat)...I love this idea. It may in fact be made of 100% pure awesomeness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL!

I'm glad you guys like it so much!

I was thinking it'd also be great as an actual litterbox(instead of putting a litterbox inside it, just dump the litter right in the container). It'd be good for multi-cat houses without alot of room to have a bunch of litterboxes.

Ebrillblaiddes- sure, I can make a tutorial. It's really easy. You'd gotta use upholstery fabric or duck cloth though, otherwise it'll majorly sag. So, that can make it a pain to sew since it's thick. Not sure when I'll actually get around to making the tutorial, lol, but I plan on making another one of these boxes(with the idea above, since I've got a multi-cat house), so I should be making one in the relatively near future.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the pictures of her on the lid!! SO adorable! I wish I was any good at ANY craft. Sadly, I am not...

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! That is just about the coolest thing I've seen in a long while. I really love that litterbox. You did a great job on it! I wish I had one just like that for my kitty. My kitty is jealous of your kitty. You did a really great job, and great job on the creativity too, I would have never thought of something like that.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. Really. All I can say is wow.

That has to be one of the coolest kitty inventions I've ever seen. In fact, I wish I could sew or knew someone who could make me something like that. I love it
!

My kitties have two of their litter boxes in my bedroom. I'd prefer not to have them be in my room, but since that is their favorite room to hang out in, I figured it would be best to strategically place them there. It certainly doesn't help that I have a bin of their toys in my room along with one of their scratching posts and a cat tree, but that's a whole other story
. I spend a lot of time in my bedroom and I guess I want my kitties with me as much as possible. Plus, there's a big window and they love watching the birds and squirrels on the top of the neighbor's house and in the trees!

My cats' litter pans are on the bottom shelf two 3-tiered wire racks. The racks themselves are quite cute and they hold a lot of my kitties' things -- grooming supplies, collars, harness and lead, treats. The fact that they're on the bottom hides them a bit, but also allows for easy access for both the cats and for me (to scoop and clean). I don't mind it, but how cute would it be to have a bin like the one you have with one of those adorable covers?! I really need to learn to be more crafty...

You should definitely consider selling them. Or, someone handy should. I'd be hopeless, but they're something I'd totally use for my crew. Good job! And, like I said before...wow!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alison Joy

You should definitely consider selling them.
I'd thought about it really briefly, but then figured it'd cost too much money to have to ship the containers. However, perhaps I could just make and sell the covers to fit containers that walmart sells....then they'd be easy to find. Hmmm...

I've been getting a bit sick of making glider bedding(I can't only make the same thing so many times...), so maybe I WILL make a few more.
If not, or if I DO, but get bored of it(which I most likely will get, pretty darn quickly, lol), then I'll just make the tutorial, lol.

My car isn't working right now, so I guess I'll have to talk hubby into letting me buy some elastic in bulk online, heehee.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really is fantatic, I think just selling the covers would be great,I am sure you will get lots of orders on here. Well done, and kitty really does approve. x

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That's ingenious! What a great idea! And she looks quite pleased with herself and her new space!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I talked to hubby and he's gonna give me a "budget" this weekend to raid Joann for some elastic and new fabrics!